Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond's Next Wave of "Retro Figures" will be...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Thats a very naive comment to make.
    Your forgetting the millions of people that never even heard of of know about ST MEGO figures that can potentially keep this line alive and well.

In my opinion,
    The millions of people that never even heard of of know about ST MEGO figures will not care about Keeper.
    They'll say, "who the heck is that" ?

It's just my opinion here,
    But I think MEGO people's wants need to be catered to above all others.

I really can't see many other people buying these except us.

Right now,
    The Star Trek collectible market is just about dead.
    Perhaps the new movie may revive it, but who knows.

I've noticed for the last few years ...
    Trek just isn't IN anymore.

Maybe i'm wrong.
    Last edited by Mikey; Nov 9, '07, 3:11 PM.

Comment

• txteach
      Banned
      • Jun 17, 2005

Really, naive?I think not. These figures are not in walmart or target and will not get the exposure many other figures do. Also, star trek has lost much of its fan base with nothing new out recently. Lynn, before you throw out words like "naive" please have a well thought out comment or reason why. Just saying that star trek is popular or that someone will buy because they remember mego isn't enough. Most star trek fans do not run into hobby shops to buy figures. Most just shop at their local walmart or target.

Comment

• WilRadcliffe
        • May 24, 2006

I don't know if I'd agree with the comments about Star Trek not being hot. Right now there is HUGE mainstream buzz about JJ Abrams' new Star Trek movie. Whether or not the movie delivers, we'll have to wait and see. But Star Trek is as big now as it's ever been. People are really looking forward to this movie. Plus, Simon Pegg as Scotty! How cool is that?

Star Trek (2008)

Plus, as Mego enthusiasts we have to appreciate the irony that the dude who is relaunching the Trek franchise is named "Abrams"! :D
        White, Gray, and Black Stones
        Scattered 'Cross the Board
        Now You Must Unite Them
        To Become the Noggle Lord!

Noggle Stones... Now On Sale!

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

Is Doc gonna make figures for the movie ?
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• jemboy2004
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 14, 2005

plus I've seen these being sold at FYE, which is like a suncoast store. They sell DVD's, CD's and all kinds of stuff like and it's a big chain and everyone goes to stores like that. I've head they may even being selling these at newbury comics which is another big chain.

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

I dont care if they are only selling these out of a potato sack down by the river, I'll buy them all, if for no other reason than to support Paul.....and of course being a Trek nut might also have something to do with this.

As for marketability....granted Kirk and the Klingon are pretty well known, but all the local comic and hobby shops here sold out in a matter of days. One local hobby shop owner even had a second wave arrive, and it sold quite well also.....Who bought them? Twentysomethings....Yep, according to the guys at Chinook Hobbies, most of the buyers were essentially kids. I would have expected folks my age.....Funny thing is, this is the same age group who bought the few CTVT figure lines Chinook brought in as well. I assume it may have something to do with the Mego comic strips in toy Fare, or maybe just a younger audience who knows how much the originals are worth (or what they think they are worth) and saw this as a chance to get into the Mego collectors market cheap....who knows?
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by jemboy2004
                I've head they may even being selling these at newbury comics which is another big chain.

Yup! My local Newbury Comics carried them...but they weren't around long...they sold out FAST!
                sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  Is Doc gonna make figures for the movie ?
                  I'm assuming that would have to require a separate license, so probably not...
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by txteach
                    These figures are not in walmart or target and will not get the exposure many other figures do. Also, star trek has lost much of its fan base with nothing new out recently.
                    You're right about them not being as exposed to the general public, but as far as saying TREK lost much of it's fan base due to nothing coming out latley, that may be true as well..... BUT, then again, if those folks suddenly drop ST cause of that, then they're fair weather fans at best...

If you're a true fan of any franchise, you'll support it whether it's "trendy", fashionable", "in", or whatever... That doesn't mean that you have to run out and buy everything that is released on it, all I'm saying is that you don't just lose interest totally if you're really into something... You may take a break for awhile, but something may spark the interest again big time... These re-issues of ST may just do that to some people...

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by apes3978
                      all I'm saying is that you don't just lose interest totally if you're really into something... You may take a break for awhile, but something may spark the interest again big time... These re-issues of ST may just do that to some people...

And My Local Newbury Cominc selling out of Them fast, is certainly a good example of that...it's a young Crowd that goes there.
                      sigpic

Comment

• rikitikitavi
                        Museum Mongoose
                        • Aug 15, 2003

There are indeed many more collectors out there than on this site. Perhaps our vision is becoming narrow because we are on this site. Not every Mego collector has to like us or want go talk with us. . . .Of course, they probably have problems if they don't like us.

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by rikitikitavi
                          There are indeed many more collectors out there than on this site. Perhaps our vision is becoming narrow because we are on this site. Not every Mego collector has to like us or want go talk with us.

That's an interesting point...You may have something there.
                          sigpic

Comment

• BlackcoatCowboy
                            • Aug 29, 2007

Im glad your store is selling them. Mine only sells only the Kirk figure.

Other specialty store ordered six cases and have sold up to a half case.

Originally posted by The Bat
                            And My Local Newbury Cominc selling out of Them fast, is certainly a good example of that...it's a young Crowd that goes there.

Comment

• rikitikitavi
                              Museum Mongoose
                              • Aug 15, 2003

Am I the only one who suspects something . . ?

Comment

• rikitikitavi
                                Museum Mongoose
                                • Aug 15, 2003

A riddle:

Out of 10 witnesses 9 say one thing and one says something opposite.

Who got off a Barmy Springs?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎