Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy Hot Toys style figures at 1/9th scale?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ScottA
    If that's the case than no, I will not be buying them.
    I would! Hell...for the right Characters, I might sell some of my original Megos to get them.
    sigpic

Comment

• ironman1188
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 11, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
      I agree. ZICA's product really shows what can be done in Mego scale, at an affordable price. Unfortunately...they don't really have any licenses right now that interest me. The Buck Rogers TV show I barely remember as a Kid, and have no Nostalgia for it. Besides some of the People on this forum...is there really a market for these? I honestly don't know...but I certainly wish them the best, because they deserve it for putting out such quality Product.
      But a lot of folks do remember it. And sci-fi characters fit in displayed with other sci-fi characters. Just like some display a wide variety of military based figures together.
      As for ZICA, forget it even being Mego scale. They are showing what detail can be accomplished with a licensed property. I love what I've seen of theirs. Seeing them in person at the NYCC was a great blast for me.
      Said it before, I'll say it again, if they were doing 1:6, I'd be first in line.
      Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

• MeerkatMego
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 7, 2007

Yes. I would love to have 1/9th scale figures of Hot Toy or Sideshow Toys detail. Depending on the figure I'd spend $100.
        Meerkat Mego

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

I want THIS, in 8" Mego scale!
          Last edited by The Bat; Jan 25, '11, 11:36 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Cmonster
            Banned
            • Feb 6, 2010

^ God, I hate that suit.

SC

Comment

• CaptainTrenchcoat
              Career Member
              • Jul 6, 2006

I dislike every Batman suit that has ever appeared on film except for yours Sandy, Adam West is passable for kitch factors. I wish somehow Hot Toys would make a Dead End Batman. That would be my dream Batman figure.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by CaptainTrenchcoat
                I dislike every Batman suit that has ever appeared on film
                Agreed .
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by CaptainTrenchcoat
                  I dislike every Batman suit that has ever appeared on film except for yours Sandy, Adam West is passable for kitch factors. I wish somehow Hot Toys would make a Dead End Batman. That would be my dream Batman figure.
                  True dat.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

To Hell with you Guys...I WILL own the Takara BATMAN!
                    sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
                      Founding Partner
                      • Nov 17, 2006

I don't know, I'm such a Mego dork I want them to be Mego like, but I wonder if in order for this scale to grow beyond it's retro roots it needs to evolve in the Hot Toys direction or stay on a cheaper/more toylike direction.

It really depends on the license. For select Super Heroes it makes sense, but I think it's better that the Retro Action heroes are simpler/cheaper because they are more Mego-like and they can make a ton more characters. I bought the Zica Buck Rogers to support what Zica was doing, I think they are very artful and inspiring toys, but I actually think Buck would be better suited to a more Mego-like and less detailed approach. I'm not sure that license deserved the deluxe treatment, but that's the license they landed and they took it and ran with it.

I think the public would respond better to Lost figures if they were more detailed and realistic--Mego is an acquired taste--it's appropriate to the show and appeals to a wider adult base. But then again, I also doubt you'd sell 4 times as many if they were twice as expensive--whatever the ratio is that makes it financially worthwhile.

As a fan of a property with a lot of characters I prefer seeing 12 figures made at the Mego level than 4 made at the Hot Toys level.
                      Last edited by megoscott; Jan 21, '11, 5:58 PM.
                      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• SgtPepper
                        • Oct 25, 2010

I am not sure there are enough "collectors" to keep retro-mego alive on their own. My kids are 15 &13 and could really care less about toys that have that "cute" type look, like mego did. They want stuff that looks real, like a tv show or movie does.
                        IMO, mego was top of the line as realistic as they could at the time. Why would'nt the next generation of 8" clothed figures want to be the best they could be? I cant imagine Marty Abrams sitting at a board meeting saying, "we cant use that prototype because it looks to real, you know, to good".

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by SgtPepper
                          IMO, mego was top of the line as realistic as they could at the time. Why would'nt the next generation of 8" clothed figures want to be the best they could be? I cant imagine Marty Abrams sitting at a board meeting saying, "we cant use that prototype because it looks to real, you know, to good".
                          That's a very good point.
                          sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
                            Founding Partner
                            • Nov 17, 2006

But that assumes that detailed and realistic is "good" and simplified is "bad".

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MegoScott
                              But that assumes that detailed and realistic is "good" and simplified is "bad".
                              But he didn't say simplified was "bad"...simply that if Marty Abrams was in charge of a Toy Company today...would he reject a Sculpt because it two well done, to realistic?
                              sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
                                Founding Partner
                                • Nov 17, 2006

Mmm, he did say Marty wouldn't reject it because it was "too good", which I took to mean that realistic was good.

I'm just saying that making a great figure today doesn't have to mean hitting the Hot Toys mark. But maybe I'm stating the obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎