Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy Hot Toys style figures at 1/9th scale?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

I'm all for realism. I guess that's my preference. I like that realistic female doll. She's not creepy at all to me. I think the rubber bodies will have difficulties posing though. I still like looking at them. Would love to play with them if I ever get a chance, but doubt it since they cost a pretty penny.

Last edited by jessica; Jan 19, '11, 10:11 PM.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I like Hot toys. the quality is unmatched.....and I'm a huge fan and collector of 1'6' figures but hell to the NO I'm paying those kind of prices for an 8 inch figure especially a new one.....for that kind of money I'd rather buy loose Megos........

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

I highly doubt that Hot Toys quality could be reproduced in a 1:9 scale. 1:6 is so much larger than 1:9 and is able to have more detail. When you start shrinking, you have to let go of some details.

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

I prefer this in moving eyes.

I'd be all over something like that in the 1:9 world.
          that chick looks a little walleyed as well. Not sure they got the mechanism centered.

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

I just wonder how poseable that 8" blue guy was...it was an SDCC exclusive and it only cost $40...can't remember exactly the name but I kick myself now...wondering how well did they make that body so it could pose? It was a blue bug in a black tuxedo. I should have bought him anyway, and special ordered him. I guess I will always wonder. Hate that.

To do list:

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              Not what I meant...I'm sure those figures are very posable. I don't want something so over detailed that it looks like a piece of art (statue) instead of a toy. I would want something that I wouldn't mind one of my kids playing with. And let's face it...if it's displayed like a piece of art and not played with and enjoyed, it might as well be a statue.
              Not really.
              I play with My Hot Toys Figures Just Fine.
              & In My World, My Son Could careless about Mego, and I personally don't buy figures for my own personal collection, that any of my Kids are Allowed to Play with.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

Absolutely EAGLE EYE!

But I hear a lot of American Joe Fans are creeped out by TOO many Eagle Eye, like Action Man in the 1980s.

Whats that I read ? Somebody won't share thier toys up there?

Originally posted by rche
                I prefer this in moving eyes.

I'd be all over something like that in the 1:9 world.
                that chick looks a little walleyed as well. Not sure they got the mechanism centered.

Comment

• ironman1188
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 11, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                  Amen. I want a toy, not a statue.
                  Hot Toys may be more expensive, but they are certainly not statues.
                  Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  I can Asure you ..., My Hot Toys Figures Pose Far Better than Any Mego Possibly can Ever... Let alone something from Mattel in 8inch cloth scale.
                  True. Hot Toys [and most 1:6 figures] have far more poseability and attention to detail than Mego ever did. Megos are to Hot Toys what 1970's Legos were to Megos.
                  Originally posted by Cmonster
                  That thing is creepy. Sorry.

SC
                  Originally posted by ScottA
                  That's not a Mego in any way, shape or form.
                  No, not creepy, just taking a step closer to being as realistic as possible, something that I'm not sure Mego ever attempted. They had their niche of buyers, knew the age bracket they were aiming at and went straight at it. Very well I might add. Today's collector, especially in 1:6 doesn't want limited articulation and a passing resemblance. They want characters to look as much like the person they are supposed to be and as much articulation as possible.
                  ZICA is showing some great work in mego scale at a level/price I've not seen in all my years of collecting. As I've said in the past, if ZICA was going 1:6 as well as Mego scale, I'd be all over them. But, even with their new bodies, their articulation cannot be compared to HT. Or even some of the other 1:6 companies.
                  Bottom line I don't think Mego and retro Mego buyers/collectors would pay what a HT figure would cost in Mego scale. The price would most likely exclude getting every figure and force folks to concentrate on one, maybe two lines.
                  Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by pmwasson
                    I don't own any Hot Toy figures, but ZICA has incredible detail and a $30 price. Its a dream come true!
                    I'm with Paul, Zica has done this already. Maybe not Hot toys level , but close enough for me. 30 bucks is probably as high as I would go on a figure too...well..maybe 40.
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Cmonster
                      Banned
                      • Feb 6, 2010

Originally posted by ironman1188
                      Bottom line I don't think Mego and retro Mego buyers/collectors would pay what a HT figure would cost in Mego scale.

SC

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ironman1188
                        ZICA is showing some great work in mego scale at a level/price I've not seen in all my years of collecting.
                        I agree. ZICA's product really shows what can be done in Mego scale, at an affordable price. Unfortunately...they don't really have any licenses right now that interest me. The Buck Rogers TV show I barely remember as a Kid, and have no Nostalgia for it. Besides some of the People on this forum...is there really a market for these? I honestly don't know...but I certainly wish them the best, because they deserve it for putting out such quality Product.
                        sigpic

Comment

• TrueDave
                          Toy Maker
                          • Jan 12, 2008

Megos are suppossed to be cheap.

Unless they are customs. :-s

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by TrueDave
                            Megos are suppossed to be cheap.

Unless they are customs. :-s
                            But we're not really talking about Megos are? We're talking about super realistic 8" scale Figures. I know where you're coming from though...I tend to label everything in the 8" scale "Mego". But Mego is gone...and Mattel's Retro-Heroes certainly aren't Megos either.
                            sigpic

Comment

• TrueDave
                              Toy Maker
                              • Jan 12, 2008

Then wheres the thrill? You already have super detail at 1/6 ? What hasnt already been made?
                              Do we need hyperdetailed 3" guys? With real buckles? And socks?

Do you REALLY want a "mego" scale pair of gloves with individual fingers or boots with real laces/
                              the 1/8 scale was a cheap knock off of the sucsessful 12" scale. And it would have died with Action Jackson if not for the licencing.

"megos" are SUPPOSSED to be cheap

Originally posted by The Bat
                              But we're not really talking about Megos are? We're talking about super realistic 8" scale Figures. I know where you're coming from though...I tend to label everything in the 8" scale "Mego". But Mego is gone...and Mattel's Retro-Heroes certainly aren't Megos either.

Comment

• ScottA
                                Original Member
                                • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by The Bat
                                We're talking about super realistic 8" scale Figures.
                                If that's the case than no, I will not be buying them.
                                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎