Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy Hot Toys style figures at 1/9th scale?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cmonster
    Banned
    • Feb 6, 2010

This is a great thread.

There's no question that sculpting and production quality on the Hot Toys stuff is absolute paramount in the industry. Yeah it's kinda pricey, but like Jason said, those figures are definitely worth the money. You get what you pay for. Would I like to see that kind style of figure in mego scale? Well, that'd be interesting to say the least, but I'm not 100% sure the mego community as a whole, would totally embrace something like that, especially given what those figures would cost... I've always said when I'm sculpting my stuff, I always struggle with exactly how realistic to make it. In my opinion if you go too far, making the figure ultra realistic (like Hot Toys), it sort of loses it's "mego-ness". I dunno... It's a tough call, but I'd have to agree that the Zica stuff is probably the closest mass produced mego scale stuff we've seen to Hot Toys. While EMCE has produced amazing figures as well, that are by far the "megoey-est"... I absolutely adore them both. That's the great thing now about the different companies doing mego scale. There's something for everyone.

SC
    Last edited by Cmonster; Jan 19, '11, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by ScottA
      Probably not. Once they get to a certain point they become non-Mego to me, even if still 8" tall.
      Amen. I want a toy, not a statue.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

i just took a look across my desk and I have to correct myself somewhat. I think Flattworld's Bela is a very well tailored and sculpted 8" figure. In fact, one of my favorite megolikes out there.

So, I suppose I do have a space in my heart for more detailed characters. Not sure I would let my son play with Bela and put a Batcowl on him, tho.

I do agree with Sandy's something for everyone comment. Variety is definitely spicey and makes the 1:9 scale world exciting.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

I want a poseable statue. I want to take a photo of the figure in action. I need a body that can be posed like a human figure without having to sew the clothing in place just to hold a specific stance for that one photograph. It would make life easier for me.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
            House of a thousand Megos
            • Aug 10, 2009

I paid $220 for an original Romulan and I think Zica has the best detail for 8 inch figure with Tigerman and I would say yes if I thought a Hot Toyz 8 inch figure was cool I would shell out the cash.
            Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Jet-Jungle
              • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by ScottA
              Probably not. Once they get to a certain point they become non-Mego to me, even if still 8" tall.
              That's how I feel as well, I like how Mego figures were sort of crude, but still the greatest toys ever!
              sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                Amen. I want a toy, not a statue.
                I can Asure you ..., My Hot Toys Figures Pose Far Better than Any Mego Possibly can Ever... Let alone something from Mattel in 8inch cloth scale.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

This is the direction I'd like to see 8" scale figures go. That level of detail would be worth every Penny...can you imagine an 8" Bale Dark Knight, Ledger Joker, or Movie Spiderman?! Of course these would not be for everybody...as some People complain about the $20.00 price Tag on the Retro-Heroes.

But I would find the Money! I'd work overtime, or whatever I had to to do get 1/9 Figures of that quality.
                  Last edited by The Bat; Jan 19, '11, 8:57 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                    I can Asure you ..., My Hot Toys Figures Pose Far Better than Any Mego Possibly can Ever... Let alone something from Mattel in 8inch cloth scale.
                    Not what I meant...I'm sure those figures are very posable. I don't want something so over detailed that it looks like a piece of art (statue) instead of a toy. I would want something that I wouldn't mind one of my kids playing with. And let's face it...if it's displayed like a piece of art and not played with and enjoyed, it might as well be a statue.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

To me this whole hobby is about Art. After all, action Figures are Sculptures to begin with...before all the joint articulation is added. I see my Figures(both original Megos & Customs)as little works of Art.
                      sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

How do people feel about things like seamless joints and movable eyes, which are trends currently making their way into the 1/6th hobby?

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Cmonster
                          Banned
                          • Feb 6, 2010

That thing is creepy. Sorry.

SC

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

That's not a Mego in any way, shape or form.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• TrueDave
                              Toy Maker
                              • Jan 12, 2008

I like toys to be toys overall.
                              We have high end 1/4 scale crazy realistic figures out there.
                              It is about Art. I think EVERYTHING should be made. And with the rising reality that Pop Culture is our ONLY culture these days it one day will be.
                              The Capt Picard from Star Trek Nemisis was a laser scan of Patrick Stewart in costume, yet the pudgy little Playmates version captures the Character better somehow . . .
                              I saw a Mr Bean for sale that had movable eyes. Like the doll above.
                              My question ( which I do NOT want answered) is why would a man need a female doll like teh one above?

I want monsters , guns, swords, cool stuff, when I collect and play.

However that is an impressive piece of engineering, I hope it poses better than the old Hall Of Fame Gi Joes who tried to go seamless.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                                • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
                                How do people feel about things like seamless joints and movable eyes, which are trends currently making their way into the 1/6th hobby?

http://bbs.bbicn.com/data/attachment...a0kn2nkkkz.jpg
                                EWWWWWW!!!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎