Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bondtoddbond
    Mego Museum Super Spy
    • Aug 14, 2009

I get sucked into some of these "reality" shows too. But when you really watch the details of it. The main players always win the locker, none of the other people standing around even try. The exact same guys get to each auction, in California there are probably more of these auctions than could be counted. Most of the guys own thrift stores. They buy a nearly empty bin and find a rare collection of flare guns that are in perfect shape, a BMW Isetta car that was totally concealed, not a tire peeking out, a tub filled with silver coin sets, it's crazy. I have to catch the Mego one, I missed it.
    sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• bondtoddbond
      Mego Museum Super Spy
      • Aug 14, 2009

I just watched this on A&E.com. Pretty ridiculous. Here's random whatever toys. A carded Amanaman Star Wars figure that doesn't even get a glance. WOZ Megos, then 2 black boxes with high end graded figures, I'm sure that was all legit. Gimme a break. Besides you wouldn't go to a comic store for help, you'd go to the Mego Museum. Oh and collectors get called nerds once again, thanks scummy storage bin scroungers.
      sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 1, 2005

I've known people who've both starred in reality shows as well as people who've worked on them behind the scenes, and from what I'm told, a majority of what you see if all staged. It makes sense really because I think it's likely impractical to have cameras and crew around and filming at the ready all the time in order to get anything worthwhile.

It's a shame when you see things like this episode of Storage Wars and realise it's set up, but I'm just happy to see Megos get some screen time, quite frankly!

And at this point I couldn't care in the least about being called a nerd, I wear it with pride, I'm happy with who I am and what my hobbies are, so to heck with 'em.

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

I only needed to see one episode of this show to decide - yes, rigged.

ps- I banned Repo Man from being broadcast while i am in the room. I CAN NOT stand that fake crap.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
            Time to feed the cat
            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by nayrbgo
            Any chance the show is rigged?
            I always thought that,I mean how can the make a big score everytime.Just seems to good to me.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I was wondering about the reality of this show to begin with, as I had started watching it recently, but after this, I will not watch it again

Comment

• stuntsister
                • Mar 8, 2005

I watched it on tv and I believe the carded spiderman that is behind the counter at first is later in the box of items that are being appraised. How cool, He appraises items that he has "for sale" in his shop! Reality tv!

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Just watched it. It did seem too good to be true. If it's a total setup, I won't watch the show any more.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by stuntsister
                    I watched it on tv and I believe the carded spiderman that is behind the counter at first is later in the box of items that are being appraised. How cool, He appraises items that he has "for sale" in his shop! Reality tv!
                    I thought the same thing and checked the segment closely online to see if I could spot the Spidey behind the counter "disappearing". No such luck.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Yeah...obviously sooooooo staged...lol.

Having said that...at least they showed Megos on current TV...

Funny how shows like these and others...like Pawn Stars, etc...never mention eBay by name...like when that chick and bald dude asked the comic book guy were they could potentially sell them...he says try comic con, conventions, etc...but not once is eBay mentioned...like it never crosses their minds...right...

sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

Maybe Jarrod and Brandi don't know about that internets thing. Maybe that's just a lotta nerd and geek talk to a couple of sophisticated folks like them
                        Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jan 17, '11, 9:49 AM.

Comment

• batmanmc
                          mego batman collector
                          • Jun 22, 2004

It Was Cool To See . I Dont Watch The Show And Only Watched It Because Of This Episode. Mike

Comment

• BendyZaius
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Sep 22, 2005

Great, now even more hick flea market dealers will be trying to charge hundreds of dollars for half-naked Green Arrow figures. This mego "exposure" often hurts more than it helps.
                            sigpic "Only an apostate would flee to the Forbidden Zone"

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

Bendy, you mean like the guy I came across recently who had a beat up loose Thor and reasoned with me that since a MOC one is supposed to be worth $750, then his loose one is reasonably priced at $250?? Yeah I'm sure seeing that show will probably just enhance that kind of silliness, you're right. But in truth alot of those people don't need much help when it comes to outlandish pricing of their items, from my experience.

Comment

• Den82
                                Career Member
                                • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by BendyZaius
                                Great, now even more hick flea market dealers will be trying to charge hundreds of dollars for half-naked Green Arrow figures. This mego "exposure" often hurts more than it helps.
                                My exact feelings. Cool to see, but I also feel a sense of dread when I see this stuff on TV. I was going to say something along the lines of "great, now the lady having the yard sale will ask $100 for her beat up figures rather than $1.00 each".

Truth be told, I am not a big Mego collector, I'm into 80's GI Joe and Star Wars.

I often have to walk away from more stuff than I buy, because people have it in their heads that it's worth millions and it drives....me....crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎