Storage Wars on A&E has MEGOs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuntsister
    • Mar 8, 2005

I contacted the store and they claim to sell no Megos. They also claim they do not know the owners of the toys they appraised. I asked about the figures on the shelf and they think they were "planted" by somone for the show. Surely a set up. My bet: Huckabone has his hands in this!

Comment

• Tom L
      Mego Collector
      • Jun 17, 2003

Fun to watch and to see any rare Megos like those. I was chuckling as they buy the lot, see the toys, then bring them to an expert. When they bring the toys to the toy shop, and the expert opens the box with the carded Thor and Lizard, the couple reacts like its the first time they saw them. They didn't open every box of toys before carting it to the Toy guy?

How many toy shop employees would be able to identify a diamond circle suit Spidey and immediately identify top dollar values unless they were a Mego enthusiast.
      Common sense is not that common.

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

Just rewatched it again. Catching the set-up of Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne just sitting out on an open shelf behind the counter thoughtfully placed next to The World's Greatest Toys book was too much.

I guess I'm naive, I knew they edited these shows and massaged them to make them work, but this is such a fake I'm shocked and a little disgusted.
        Last edited by megoscott; Jan 13, '11, 10:53 PM.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• MEGOMAN
          Defender of the Megoverse
          • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
          Good eye! And I see a carded Spider-man and Ben's WGSH book right next to them.. at 4:13 and 4:38 of the video link I posted.

My cynical take on this is that the area comic shop owner (obviously a diehard toy guy) contacted the show (or maybe vice-versa), and pitched the concept of finding the old toys and super-rare Megos. The show runs with his pitch, and in exchange he gets his mug and store on TV.

You'll probably see him show up again when one of the buyers scores with a valuable lot of vintage comics..
          It's funny you say that! I know for a fact that the show "Pawn Stars", is a bunch of BS at least 1/3 of the time. You can believe me or not but many of the people who are on the show bringing in items is all set up, and the items are crap! Sorry, but I cannot say how I know this. Before anyone asks, no I do not work with the Pawn Stars show. That is all!

Comment

• timb
            Will Draw for Toys
            • May 1, 2009

Wow, that was an awesome moment in tv history.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Yeah, that was mentioned in another thread. All those amazing items (and some not so amazing) walking thru the Pawn Stars doors are all pre-arranged. It's not like the production crew is just sitting around day after day waiting for something great to walk in. That's how they're able to crank out as many eps as they do, and as efficiently (and interesting) as possible.

Comment

• sauce
                Removed
                • Jun 24, 2007

Brandi has a thing for Thor. I wonder if they'll pursue that thread and she might have an affair with Darrell.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I had a thought. How do we know if the cards or boxes are legit?

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                    Brandi has a thing for Thor. I wonder if they'll pursue that thread and she might have an affair with Darrell.
                    Nah, she owes Jarrod too much; he got her off the pole after all..

Comment

• MegoSteve
                      Superman's Pal
                      • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by stuntsister
                      My bet: Huckabone has his hands in this!
                      I don't know the guy, but it wouldn't shock me at all. Isn't he California based?

It's kind of disappointing. I liked that show, enjoyed watching the finds, but it's just a little too perfect when they have something like this come up. It's obviously a fake find or something that was planted.

There is absolutely no way someone who puts a figure in an acrylic case wouldn't know how much it's worth, and they wouldn't allow a storage unit to go unpaid for three months. Acrylic cases aren't something that's easily available... you have to be an experienced collector to buy one since they really aren't commonly available. And they've been around a relatively short time in the Mego hobby.

The only way I could see something like this realistically happening is if someone died and their relatives didn't know they had a unit. Unlikely.

Comment

• timb
                        Will Draw for Toys
                        • May 1, 2009

yeah, after all you guys said, and after re-watchng the clip, seems staged....of course, maybe I just don't want to believe that these people found 12k worth of Mego stuff in a crummy storage room. I always kind of gave these shows the benefit of the doubt, but after all you guys have said, I would have to assume alot is staged.

Comment

• megozilla13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 10, 2002

Its disappointing to read all this, I thought the finds were real. I don't think I'll enjoy watching that show again.

On a side note, my collection is currently in one of those storage lockers and come to think of it,no one but me knows where or how to access it.

mikej
                          WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• megoscott
                            Founding Partner
                            • Nov 17, 2006

Huckabone had nothing to do with it.
                            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• dumbldor
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 9, 2002

I know exactly whose collection this is, but I will leave it to him whether or not he wants to come forward. It is not Mark Huckabone.

I used to own some of those pieces. I was watching the clip with my son, and I said "do you remember (that one and that one) used to be in Daddy's collection?"

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Too small a world when it comes to this stuff sometimes.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎