X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by cjefferys
    If I may take this part of your post seriously at least, I don't think there would have been any danger of that. Kenner had to have everything approved by Lucas (even back then he was in complete charge of product licensing, that was part of his deal with Fox) and I doubt that he would have accepted recycled Micronauts vehicles if Mego had the license. How could anyone argue with the logic in the rest of your post though.
    OK, then, they would've made an X-Wing Fighter, a TIE Fighter, and a vacuformed Millennium Falcon interior playset. Then they would have re-released some of the Micronauts vehicles in packages that strongly suggested they could be used with Mego Star Wars figures.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Dadioche
      "Just remember this,several toy companies took a pass on the rights along with Mego. " Which ones ?

I think Mego had very innovative ideas (for example, just think about the 8'' figures, the Micronauts detachables figures, etc) and the history of the action figure would definitely have been different if Mego had bought the Star Wars license. One could think the company would still be alive and one of the first on the market ?
      But there's no need for regrets. Kenner did a great job on Star Wars figures. My best memories of my childhood are with my Star Wars figures.
      Well, of course, I had a Batman who always defeated the little Star Wars figs... that was a Mego 8''
      My guess would be Hasbro and Mattel rejected them as well. Hasbro was still doing the G.I. Joe line at the time,so I doubt they wanted it. And Mattel was more interested in their Barbie and Hot Wheels line. They didn't get into boys action figures until Masters of the Universe.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by ABMAC
        OK, then, they would've made an X-Wing Fighter, a TIE Fighter, and a vacuformed Millennium Falcon interior playset. Then they would have re-released some of the Micronauts vehicles in packages that strongly suggested they could be used with Mego Star Wars figures.
        You know, that sounds about right.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
          Formerly known as Del
          • Dec 12, 2004

I keep meaning to post this and forgetting. In the September issue of "Star Wars Insider," in the "Star Wars Diary"(page 14), there is the following blurb:
          "While attending the 1977 Toy Fair in New York, Star Wars Corperation publicist Charles Lippincot is literally pushed out of an office by an executive of a large toy company after attempting to make a licensing pitch."
          I know other toy companies passed on SW, but I can't help but wonder if that was Mego...
          Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
          https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
          http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

In Stephen Sansweet's "Star Wars: From Concept to Screen to Collectible", the story is even a bit more specific: "At one company that had past ties to Fox, a top executive literally shoved Lippincott out the door of his office". Hmmmm. (Lippincott and Fox attorney Marc Pevers attended Toy Fair together in 1977 to pitch Star Wars and they were both interviewed for the book).

Comment

• Dadioche
              • Oct 8, 2007

Originally posted by jwyblejr
              My guess would be Hasbro and Mattel rejected them as well. Hasbro was still doing the G.I. Joe line at the time,so I doubt they wanted it. And Mattel was more interested in their Barbie and Hot Wheels line. They didn't get into boys action figures until Masters of the Universe.
              Probably right about Hasbro. But Mattel did distribute Sci-Fi licensed toys in 1978 and 1979 with the Battlestar Galactica line. There was also the Flash Gordon line (based on the TV Cartoon) distributed by Mattel in 1979 and 1980. Of course, one can argue that was after the Star Wars rush.
              Last edited by Dadioche; Oct 26, '07, 7:09 AM.
              Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel !
              The Power of the Toy

Comment

• ABMAC
                User
                • May 16, 2002

After Star Wars everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎