Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations on horror flicks for my 13 year old daughter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
    A 13 year old girl is not going to like those old movies...I do...we all do here...but I doubt she will.
    I've showed alot of these to my 14 tear old and having never seen them she was jumping screaming and closing her eyes.
    Not to all of them but at least 80% of them.
    A great movie is a great movie.
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• wolfie
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 31, 2007

I have no idea what the law is in the USA but over here in the UK if you were caught showing the vast majority of the films mentioned to a 13 year old you could be arrested, fined and thrown in prison.

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

These are some decent new ones, In no way slasher, just really freaky ghosty/monster stuff

1. case 39
        2. the house of the devil
        3. the new daughter
        4. devil
        5. triangle
        6. descent one and two

these all certainly creeped me out.
        Last edited by alex; Dec 23, '10, 9:18 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Creature From Black Lake

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
            A 13 year old girl is not going to like those old movies...I do...we all do here...but I doubt she will.
            I dug them at that age. Plus it's difficult picking out modern horror movies that would be suitable for a 13 year old. Something still scary but without the scenes of graphic violence, torture and rape.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• bondtoddbond
              Mego Museum Super Spy
              • Aug 14, 2009

My daughter is 13, she loves Zombieland & Shaun of the Dead. We watched Blair Witch Project recently and I think she liked that one as well. I think she was unsure of it being based on real events or not for a while. I think most of the real adult horror is too intense. She likes the zombie stuff now. I think if it's a little campy it helps kids ease into horror, instead of just scaring the crap out of them.
              sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
                Banned
                • Oct 25, 2010

Have been trying to find 'Creature from Black Lake' and 'Boogens'....NO luck - Not even on 'Torrentz'!

Comment

• Adam West
                  Museum CPA
                  • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by bondtoddbond
                  My daughter is 13, she loves Zombieland & Shaun of the Dead. We watched Blair Witch Project recently and I think she liked that one as well. I think she was unsure of it being based on real events or not for a while. I think most of the real adult horror is too intense. She likes the zombie stuff now. I think if it's a little campy it helps kids ease into horror, instead of just scaring the crap out of them.
                  I wouldn't do Blair Witch due to the constant foul language. Also, the Blair Witch setting is 4 miles from my house...no kidding!!! The only part I recognize is the very beginning of the movie where they show the Burkittsville town sign and the cemetary...those are there but everything else was shot elsewhere. My daughter already knows that the story isn't true which I think completely takes away from any potential scariness to the movie.
                  "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                  ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by wolfie
                    I have no idea what the law is in the USA but over here in the UK if you were caught showing the vast majority of the films mentioned to a 13 year old you could be arrested, fined and thrown in prison.
                    Seriously? You can take your child to a rated "R" movie if you want as long as you are accompanied by an adult. The strange twist is that public television in the UK regularly shows nudity which still isn't allowed in the US but they are certainly starting to push the limits.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
                      Museum CPA
                      • Apr 14, 2003

Thanks all for the advice...I'll check out some of the recommendations and hopefully, I can find something that will give her that rush of adrenaline without the "R" rating.
                      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• torgospizza
                        Theocrat of Pan Tang
                        • Aug 19, 2010

Has anyone mentioned Gargoyles with Bernie Casey?

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

>Has anyone mentioned Gargoyles with Bernie Casey?

No.... and I can't imagine why not.... That's a good one!

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I haven't seen Gargoyles is a crazy long time but the little I remember kind of makes me think it ripped off Doctor Who and the Silurians.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Just saw a three pack of scream one,two and three for $9.99 at wally world.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
                                Banned
                                • Oct 25, 2010

Mikey - here you are, it's the full film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3C28zdK9ME

Watch the opening credits - love that font and the color - Mattel Slime font?

Reminded me of another great one: 'The Green Slime'.

I really dig Gargoyles, used to watch it as a kid on WWOR Channel 9. It would come on during the weekend afternoons, or late in the night as part of some "creature double feature" deal. I remember watching it along with Tourist Trap. Gargoyles really didnt frighten me, I just thought that it was really cool. Tourist Trap on the other hand, that sh1t scarred me for life - I cant even LOOK at a store mannequin without hearing that awful "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎