X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

'70s Janex Talking Alarm clocks

Did any of you 70s babies have one of these? They were little alarm clocks that talked (via a record inside). There was Raggedy Ann & Andy, (the one I had), Batman & Robin, Howdy Doody, Bugs Bunny, and maybe Sylvester & Tweety, (can't remember if that's right). I got mine for Xmas when I was nine, and I used it til it died. I have a couple of Raggedy Ann & Andy clocks now. They used to work just fine, but now one doesn't work at all, and the other has a broken "Off" mechanism, so it will keep repeating the verse until you pull out the battery! I remember setting mine early on Saturdays to get up and watch cartoons!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I never had one as a kid, but when I was around 20, my father found the Batman and Robin one at a yardsale and picked it up for me. It was cool, but it didn't talk anymore. I ended up selling it on ebay a few years ago.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Were they the ones who put out the Oscar The Grouch one? If so,I'd say yes.

Comment

• BaronSat
        Museum Super Collector
        • Sep 17, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
        Did any of you 70s babies have one of these? They were little alarm clocks that talked (via a record inside). There was Raggedy Ann & Andy, (the one I had)...
        I don't think we had that kind of stuff in France, so 4 Foreigners* like me who are not Juke Box Hero*, it's Urgent* to post a link :
        http://cgi.ebay.com/RAGGEDY-ANN-ANDY...QQcmdZViewItem

Can't help thinking these characters are a bit scary, where do they come from, a cartoon?

I didn't had a talking clock when I was a kid but bought an ESB one in the early 90's. When the postman brought my packet, he was laughing because it was talking as the seller let the batteries inside. In this good old time people were not afraid by packet that makes weird noises, today I think that would be different...

* This joke was fun in 1981
        Custom models :
        www.baronsat.net

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I remember drooling over the Batman and Robin clock for what seemed like years at Lee's Drug in town. It was in a glass case with a Star Wars C-3PO and R2-D2 model. I finally got it, and I still have that same clock to this day. Batman and Robin no longer talk though. The little super-deformed Robin in a purple (!) Batmobile is a testament to the 70s, when licensing was fun, and you never knew what you'd see on a product.

You can see my clock in the far left corner of this picture.

According to an old Heroes World catalog I had, they made a similar Superman clock as well.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I have pics of the Superman and will be showing it on PS soon.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

I had the Bugs Bunny clock and still remember his annoying wake-up monolgue to this day.....sigh
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jul 28, 2007

My brother had the Batman, by the time it was handed down to me it no longer talked...what a surprise. Did these things always stop talking after a few years??

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

My ex-hubby fixed both of mine, but w/ all the jostling around from moving since then, they don't work too well anymore. But I'm sure if you were mechanically inclined and bought some on Ebay, you could probably get them working again.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

I had the Batman and Robin clock, loved that thing. I would like to get another one someday, but finding one in good working shape for a reasonable price seems to be rather elusive for me. I'm definitely interested in checking out the pics of that Superman clock, I can't recall having seen that one before.

Comment

• JerusalemCherry
                      • Dec 24, 2007

Janex Corp Talking Alarm Clock Tweety, Warner Bros 1978

I own a 1978 Tweety Talking Alarm Clock made by JANEX CORP. of Eatontown NJ 07724 (Warner Bros., INC. U.S. PAT. NO. 3,835,640 If you want to see this video, go to youtube any type in Tweety Clock. Or try this link out...

YouTube - 1978 Tweety Talking Alarm Clock

When the wind up alarm clock goes off, a little battery powered motor makes Sylvester chase Tweety Bird around and around on a little pedestal (beneath a plastic house which also holds the wind up clock) and at the same time a built in tiny phonograph plays over and over a scratchy track (on a tiny record) of "I thought I saw I puddey tat. I did see a puddey tat, please get up save tweety bird, I hope my call can be heard. Sylvester's up and in a rage, if you dont wake up he'll reach my cage".

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

I had the Batman and Robin clock as a kid. I repurchased one about 10 years ago along with a Bugs Bunny one. Neither one talked, but I was able to have the Batman one repaired. It worked for about a week and then died again.
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• z3zep
                          The Girl Next Door
                          • Sep 30, 2006

I had the Raggedy Ann & Andy one too. I still have it packed away in the attic, I am not sure if it still works or not.

"Time to get up and Start Your Happy Day"

Maureen

Comment

• JerusalemCherry
                            • Dec 24, 2007

Janex Talking Clocks

Just an FYI... I know someone that fixes Janex talking clocks. There is something called an "Ozen Box". Its a small record in a little box, most of the time the belt falls off to make it spin.

It only cost 50 bucks to have it fixed. If you need yours repaired that persons email address is jonblu@hotmail.com

Also, I have my Janex Talking Alarm Clock linked from http://www.JanexClocks.com
                            Last edited by JerusalemCherry; Dec 29, '07, 4:49 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• DeviceNet
                              • Jan 18, 2008

Ozen Boxes

I too repair these boxes

the list of toys these were used in included talking clocks, robots, dolls, laughing bags, coughing ashtrays - the list seems to go on and on
                              many different options though mostly based on the same platform,

only thing id like to be able to do is acquire new records to suit- as i still can source new boxes (only just) this leaves the need to modify box to suit activation input type - one thing we all should strive to do is preserve any box dead or alive, belts to fit these are cheap - i use cassette recorder belt to replace - repair of these need not cost you dearly. will soon compile a website on this series - stay tuned

Baily

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎