X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Vintage Toy Shopping in Hong Kong

So far I've found two places that specialize in vintage toys. The one I was really excited about was closed, but the windows were filled with vintage boxed seventies stuff, including Shogun Warriors/Jumbo Machinders, all manner of mecha/giant robot, and Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets (which I am most excited about).

The other place I found was simply packed with all manner of contemporary and vintage, but less on the quality of the other store in terms of boxed and mint. Shogun Warriors fans would have been in heaven with the amount of small die cast robots from the seventies they had in their display cases, as well as a handful of Jumbo Machinders. They also had a big display case full of Star Wars stuff, including vintage on the card.

A box was villed with nineties international carded GI Joes, including the funskool packaging.

In terms of Mego, there was a boxed Planet of the Apes playset, a boxed 12" Batman (I think it was the Parkdale version), a 12" Wonder Woman, and a boxed Empire Spiderman helicopter.

They also had a Marx Batman cowl from '66.

Piles and piles of nineties stuff was stacked around the place as well.

Anyone into vintage model kits, particularly mecha, Gundam, anime vehicles would have been in heaven.

Also huge piles of Medicom Real Action Heroes, and the 12" contemporary action figure selection was mind-blowing, including customs of Bruce Willis in Die Hard, Blade Runner, Face Off, etc.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I'm piles of envy right now.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

Pictures!!!! I Want Pictures!
      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• starsky
        veteran member
        • Aug 26, 2007

did you buy anything?

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

I took some snaps of the window display, but won't be able to post them until I return home.

These places are usually a bit wary of cameras, but I'll try to sneak some cel phone snaps next time I'm in there.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

For anyone who is interested in the stuff they have in their display cases, Toyzone is online here...
            Toyzone 16

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by starsky
              did you buy anything?
              Saving my pennies for the Gatchaman stuff and waiting to see what kind of stuff/prices they have at the stores over in Kowloon before I start spending crazy.

So far I've only picked up a Gamera Microman, 12" Bruce Lee, a set of SuperDeformed Superman UFO Catchers from '91, which includes a couple of Clark Kents and 80's Flashdance Supergirl, some Australian happy meal premium Superhero toys, and a dozen bootleg bearbrick style celphone figures.

There is so much incredibly cool stuff here, it's really difficult to stay on target when it comes to my rules of collecting. From chatting with Acroray abaout the Jeeg connection to micronauts, there was a vintage magnetic figure that I was ready to buy on impulse. After being nearly traumatized at seeing Palitoy's Henshin Cyborg being just about violated, I was ready to get one of my own to keep safe from the prying hands of the busy bodied public.

When I return to the vintage store that was closed, boxed Gatchaman will be mine. Stores have really really oddball hours here so you never know what time they will be open. There are some stores that are open from 3:30 to 11:00pm. Most of them are the size of walk in closets crammed from floor to ceiling with stuff, Toyzone being the exception in size, but they still floor to ceiling with aisles that I can barely fit in.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 4, '10, 9:34 PM.

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
                Banned
                • Oct 25, 2010

Sweet Jesus man....I'm beyond jealous....

Are you seeing bins and bins of knock-off (and cheap?) Godzilla vinyls and other Kaiju? I would DIE to be able to hit some of their versions of "dollar/variety" stores...good lord...

Oh - and the Gamera Micromans are all over E-Bay...and cheap! The Jet Jaguar/Megalon is the set to watch for!! Please - act as my overseas buyer and tell me of the Kaiju?!? LOL

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

pictures!!!

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Nice, have fun! If you get a chance, I'd be curious as to how much the Jumbos sell for in HK toy shops. Every time I find some Jumbos in toy shops in Japan, they are always beat to hell and cost too much and I have to pass, so I'm just wondering if HK shops are more reasonable. There are always HK sellers selling nice vintage Japanese stuff on ebay, so you should find a lot of neat things. Good luck!

Comment

• babycyclops
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 9, 2010

Man, those shops sound so great!

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Mr.Krusher
                        Sweet Jesus man....I'm beyond jealous....

Are you seeing bins and bins of knock-off (and cheap?) Godzilla vinyls and other Kaiju? I would DIE to be able to hit some of their versions of "dollar/variety" stores...good lord...

Oh - and the Gamera Micromans are all over E-Bay...and cheap! The Jet Jaguar/Megalon is the set to watch for!! Please - act as my overseas buyer and tell me of the Kaiju?!? LOL
                        Kaiju is everywhere, but it's not dollar store quality (unless you are talking $$ vintage variety). I'm a Godzilla collector myself, and the Big G is mostly represented as vintage from what I've seen so far. Ultraman, Power Rangers, Kamen Rider and their assorted plastic monsters are everywhere. Ranging from the ten dollar to hundreds of dollars range (in US or Canadian Dollars).

Hong Kong variety stores (7-11, OK) are only good for exotic flavours of Lays chips (Hot Pot Stew), and a couple of Toy Collecting Magazines (focused on Mecha/Kaiju/Sentai mostly) rather than toys/novelties.

Unlike Japan, which has 100 yen stores (roughly a buck), I've yet to see any Hong Kong equivalent of a dollar store.

Comment

• ultimate armor
                          • Dec 1, 2010

in which city the store is?
                          im going to hongkong on january
                          maybe i will go to the shop u talk about

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ultimate armor
                            in which city the store is?
                            im going to hongkong on january
                            maybe i will go to the shop u talk about
                            Toyzone is in Causaway Bay. Check out the link earlier in this thread.

Comment

• Neutron X
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 22, 2007

WOW! How cool is that you are there? I am excited to see your pics not just of the toys but of Hong Kong streets. Please keep reporting what you find. The hunt is one of the best parts of collecting.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎