X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

BSG Cereal Mail-away

Anyone ever send away for the General Mills Battlestar Galactica Viper cockpit?

My husband was telling me about how he had one as a child, but traded it away for some Kenner Star Wars playsets years ago.

I've been looking for some photos of one, and all I've been able to find is scans of the offer on the back of the cereal boxes. (He got his from Cocoa Puffs, but they were available from a bunch of different GM cereals.)

SO... Anyone here ever send away for one? Anyone have any memories related to it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

No, but I wish I had
    It's all good!

Comment

• AAAAA
      Permanent Member
      • Oct 28, 2005

WOw I remember those!!

Comment

• Ranger 3
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 25, 2007

Sent away for it as a kid. It was one of the first things I 're-aquired' when ebay started. Now I have two sets- one to set up and one to keep in the mailer envelope as-is. I'd love to find one of the original cereal boxes some day!

Great memories!

M

Comment

• david_b
          Never had enough toys..
          • May 9, 2008

I never ordered it, but my childhood pal who had EVERYTHING, had one and I eventually acquired it from him. I believe it's missing one or two of the moveable dials, but I have it stored away in the basement.

Never saw this ad before, Thanks!!

david_b
          Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• LadyZod
            Superman's Gal Pal
            • Jan 27, 2007

If one of you guys that have one ever get a chance, I'd love to see an actual photo of it built up.

( I hope to either find one, or at least recreate one for my husband one day.)
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
            Check out my art:
            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• david_b
              Never had enough toys..
              • May 9, 2008

The funny thing for me is..., is I really didn't want anything to do with BSG when it first premiered, preferring to just stick with Star Wars.

As the show progressed, I started really getting hooked, so I had to quickly start grabbing up all the discarded stuff on bargain bids before disappeared..

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

I would like to see a real photo, too, please
                It's all good!

Comment

• Actorman
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Oct 4, 2010

Same story as Ranger 3 here. I had one as a kid and thought it was the coolest thing. I have no idea what happened to that one. When I discovered eBay years ago, it was one of the first things I tried to track down and eventually found one (complete and in the original envelope!) This was the item that convinced me that you truly can find ANYTHING on eBay if you look hard and long enough. I put it together and displayed it briefly, then disassembled it and put it away for safe keeping. (But, this thread has made me want to dig it back out.)

I have to say, it is still a pretty cool thing. The amount of design and detail that was put into this freebie, mail-away item is pretty impressive.

Comment

• david_b
                    Never had enough toys..
                    • May 9, 2008

TOTALLY agreed.. It was certainly elaborate and YES, you're right about eBay..: I've found more 'holy grails' I didn't even know I needed until I saw them there.

david_b

Comment

• Ranger 3
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 25, 2007

Agreed- a lot of work went into this thing. A lot of play value for a card board freebie!

This thread just jogged another memory- I was so impressed with this thing as a kid, I wrote General Mills a letter telling them how great it was! I think I even got back some sort of thank you letter from them.

M

Comment

• Spyweb007
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 18, 2006

I had one of these as a kid and loved it, it realy was impressive with a lot of play value, especially for a cardboard giveaway piece. I've no idea what happened to mine, but I wouldn't be surprised to find some pieces of it packed away here somewhere.

Comment

• generic
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by Ranger 3
                          ...I was so impressed with this thing as a kid, I wrote General Mills a letter telling them how great it was! I think I even got back some sort of thank you letter from them.
                          This is a total side note here, but one of the things I don't like about the internet is it seems like the power of The Letter has been lost. We all get so many emails and read so many forum posts and so many facebook notes, etc. that even though it's still cool to get a letter (and I do still write letters...even though no one ever writes back anymore ), they just don't have the same value that they once had. Getting fan mail used to be something that was manageable for smaller celebrities, but with the ease of sending an email, even they get flooded with correspondence. It just doesn't seem as cool and personal anymore.
                          Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• kennermike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 4, 2007

Im ressurecting this thread cause this thing was awesome!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎