Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember your best/worst toy meltdown?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

I am sure you are a much better person for your parents having given you such a good foundation in life.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

It got to the point where it was more of a childhood quest to get that figure ... and as goofy as it sounds ... it left me with trust issues with my parents until I found out the full truth about a year later and how they were really santa.
      That's come up a few times with my son, and I always tell him, "Santa may bring you that, so we better not get it now".

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• mego maniac mark
        Career Member
        • Aug 3, 2010

Originally posted by beartex2000
        A variation of this thread is my dreadful story: In the early 70's I wanted the Action Jackson jeep more than any other toy. My parents told me it was too expensive and I couldn't have it. One day I was hanging out in Motts with my friend Billy and we saw the "prized" jeep in the toy section. Some how we got the bright idea to change the price sticker to $1.00. (This was before bar codes). I was able to buy the jeep and get it out of the store, (looking back-the cashier was some high school girl and could probably care less!). Anyway, as soon as I got home my mom figured out what happened because their was no way I had enough of my own money to buy the jeep. After being yelled at by both my parents my dad took me back to Motts and explain to the store manager my sad crime. He yelled at me..then he yelled at the cashier!!! I also was BANNED from shopping at Motts for 2 whole months. When i got home i was yelled at some more..and grounded from hanging out with my buddy Billy!!! To this day I still do not have the AJ jeep...........
        That's a good one Beartex. To think you almost perpertrated the perfect crime to suffer the ultimate humility. Similar thing happened to me in 77-78, when I was caught stealing a tuscan raider from Barkers in New Paltz NY. The retired loss prevention officer saw me thru the 2 way mirrors.
        He stopped us as we were leaving and I got a swift slap from my father. The topper, a lifetime ban from the store....lol

By the way, I have that AJ jeep if your interested
        mego's befo ho's

Comment

• rcbats1
          Banned
          • Nov 1, 2005

Summer 1973. Myself,my Dad and my brother and sister headed to TG&Y for my Dad to get something or another. Of course as I always do when we get into the store I told my dad I'm gonna go check out the toys.
          My Brother and Sister had a few dollars each and I had nothing...of course. I stroll around the toy department on the south side of the toy isles and look alllllll the way down to the north end of the isle and see familiar colors as well as some very bright colored boxes that held the toys inside. I blast down the isle and there they are! Superman, Robin, Aquaman and BATMAN with a Removable Mask!! I couldnt believe it! I looked at the sides of the boxes to see other great characters and I remember thinking that at the top of the box, on the inside, behind the Batman logo...there must be a Bat-a-rang and other accessories inside. I didnt think of that for long because now the mission was to get either my Dad,Brother or Sister to spring for a measly 1.99 so I can buy this Batman!
          Neither would break and I begged them to please loan me the funds for this doll! Not gonna happen...I thought I'd die.
          Went to my Grandmothers house as we always did that weekend and told her what I had found. Said she 'd see what she could do when Pappa returned home from his buisness trip...I came home Monday after school and there at the front door in a TG&Y bag was my very first Mego RC Batman....my life was saved!

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by rcbats1
            Summer 1973. Myself,my Dad and my brother and sister headed to TG&Y for my Dad to get something or another. Of course as I always do when we get into the store I told my dad I'm gonna go check out the toys.
            My Brother and Sister had a few dollars each and I had nothing...of course. I stroll around the toy department on the south side of the toy isles and look alllllll the way down to the north end of the isle and see familiar colors as well as some very bright colored boxes that held the toys inside. I blast down the isle and there they are! Superman, Robin, Aquaman and BATMAN with a Removable Mask!! I couldnt believe it! I looked at the sides of the boxes to see other great characters and I remember thinking that at the top of the box, on the inside, behind the Batman logo...there must be a Bat-a-rang and other accessories inside. I didnt think of that for long because now the mission was to get either my Dad,Brother or Sister to spring for a measly 1.99 so I can buy this Batman!
            Neither would break and I begged them to please loan me the funds for this doll! Not gonna happen...I thought I'd die.
            Went to my Grandmothers house as we always did that weekend and told her what I had found. Said she 'd see what she could do when Pappa returned home from his buisness trip...I came home Monday after school and there at the front door in a TG&Y bag was my very first Mego RC Batman....my life was saved!
            Now THAT is a cool story.

Comment

• RG
              Removed.
              • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              That's come up a few times with my son, and I always tell him, "Santa may bring you that, so we better not get it now".

Chris

they would say something like that too, but with this He-Man, in my little mind was thinking "took me forevere to find it, and they think Santa can find it in one night"

see my mom even carried a $5 bill with her at all times and called it the he man money ... just in case we ever found him and she didn't have cash on her and didnt want to write a check for a figure ... she'd have the funds ... then to have her tell me no

at least I can laugh at the whole thing now ... but still fun to rub it in to my parents ... I told them that one day at the store is the reason I now collect toys

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

at least I can laugh at the whole thing now ... but still fun to rub it in to my parents ... I told them that one day at the store is the reason I now collect toys
                I understand. I still rub it in on my dad that he threw out my Empire Ride-On Batmobile. It had a broken wheel, but he could have fixed it! I gave him grief for so many years that he vowed to buy me a new one someday. When one came up on ebay, him and my mother made good on his promise!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• beartex2000
                  For display only!!
                  • Jun 2, 2007

mib41, thanks for the forgiveness, I can remembering thinking the same thing. I thought at the time the manager might let me off easy, but he was really angry! I was only 9 at the time. I recall other shoppers stopping to watch and felt about 3 inches tall!! My life of crime was over after that and two months later I was back to hanging out at Motts.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I don't exactly remember a tantrum; I wasn't too spoiled but I often got Megos as birthday/Christmas/Easter gifts. And, my Grandma didn't drive--she went grocery shopping with Mom & us kids each week. I could often wheedle a Mego out of her at Beuhler's Markets, the closest thing '70s rural Ohio had to a Wal-Mart lol.

One thing I recall as pretty ballsy that I'm still ashamed of, though: In the late '70s, I went through a Capt. America faze (prob. '78 or '79, I was likely influenced by the TV movies and, at 10 or 11, old enough to know better).

I wanted a Mego Cap for Christmas & JC Penney's catalog had one! (For small-town kids, all those catalogs were the toy Bible). I whined & whined for one, just pined over it until I was a wreck--nothing has changed, sadly.

Near Christmas, I snuck into Mom's stash of wrapped presents and found a box about Mego-sized. At first, I intended to just pick at it to see what it was, but when I verified that it was Cap, I lost all control & opened it. Took him to my room & began playing with him--I figured Mom wouldn't notice & I could put him back later.

Of course I was sheepish & got caught; she chastised me and wrapped him back up. I still got him for Christmas, but the real punishment came when I got no Mego that Easter (just Spring clothing & candy, bummer).
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 28, '10, 5:54 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                      Mego Dork
                      • Nov 9, 2008

One of my favorite toy memories came about around '81. My Dad and I were out at Woolworth's. This was actually a rare occurrence. Dad was an old school blue collar guy and shopping and such were my mom's duties. Anyway this particular day Dad and I went to aforementioned store and went straight to the toys. I was ogling the Star Wars stuff when Dad said "Come here." I did and at that point he handed me a box... It was a Raiders of the Lost Ark Lost Souls (I think that was the name of it) playset. Needless to say I was all like "WOW!" Dad then went on to point out all of the figures that were on the pegs and told me to pick some out. Of course I grabbed the usual suspects Indy, Swordsman, Misc. guy with a gun. Dad looked down smiled and then started sifting through the others and began pulling out the other ones that I hadn't saying "You might as well get the set". Needless to say I was super excited.

Now before anyone gets to thinking I was just being spoiled rotten that is only a partially true statement. Dad loved seeing me smile and laugh and such (He actually was the greatest Mego restorer EVER when it came to fixing the busted rubber bands btw) but he also was really quick with math. You see what Dad had discovered and quickly taught me was that all of this non Star Wars stuff was on CLEARANCE! The playset was like 3 bucks and the figures were around 75 cents a piece.

We buried and re-buried the Ark dozens of times the rest of the weekend.Dad also showed me how useful the Ark really was when he pointed out that all the guns and accessories could stay safe inside it.

Man, I miss him.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                        Mego Dork
                        • Nov 9, 2008

I got lost in a memory with that last post, great memory... one not so great occurred circa '79. I was with my Mom and Aunt shopping for something adult aka boring. Anyway I was on the look for a Mego and the display was empty. Sad I was but relentless. I spotted a Horshack laying on a shelf. While he wasn't Superman or anyone cool, h did have the cloth costume and I just HAD to have it. Both my mom and aunt knew how stupid this request was but I was relentless. I'm still ashamed when I think about it now. All that bawling and wailing over Horshack. Sad really.

Worst part though is that my aunt gave in and I got my way when honestly I should have just been drop kicked. If I could time travel I would go back and drop kick myself. Seriously.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
                          Career Member
                          • Nov 27, 2009

Great thread
                          If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• Spawn67
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 14, 2009

I remember back in 79/80 having a huge meltdown in a department store over the ALIEN figure. You know the one that everyone wants..lol.
                            Well I was about 6 at the time and my mom refused to get it for me cause she thought it wasn't appropriate toy for me to have.(looking back she was probably right!)
                            Well I begged and cried and she never bought it for me and to this day I have never got one!

Comment

• MicroMan66
                              • Jan 9, 2011

Never did the meltdown thing in. Public. I'd get my a** kicked if I did. If I kept my grades up during the school year, Mom and Dad would get me a toy in June on top of my weekly allowence. Chores were a part of the deal, too.

Comment

• MicroMan66
                                • Jan 9, 2011

Originally posted by Spawn67
                                I remember back in 79/80 having a huge meltdown in a department store over the ALIEN figure. You know the one that everyone wants..lol.
                                Well I was about 6 at the time and my mom refused to get it for me cause she thought it wasn't appropriate toy for me to have.(looking back she was probably right!)
                                Well I begged and cried and she never bought it for me and to this day I have never got one!
                                IIRC, there was controversy over that toy because it was based on an R rated movie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎