Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember your best/worst toy meltdown?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Do you remember your best/worst toy meltdown?

I do.

It occurred in the early 70's when I was at the tender age of 8 and entered the Sears Building on Olympic and Soto:

I was chaperoned by my parents and another couple of friends of theirs. Things started off innocently enough until we came to the Toy Section and I saw this:

They had one out of the box on display in the center of the Toy Section.

Oh, sweet Jesus. I had never seen anything like that before. I had to have it, even though I never knew anything about The King Of The Daredevils.
    I told my parents that it was imperative that I acquire this toy. My dad looked at the price tag and said, "No."
    As an only child, with an audience, I figured I had an Ace up my sleeve; I performed a double Tsukahara that Mary Lou Retton would have been proud of, and then commenced with the Mother of all Tantrums on the Toy Floor of the Soto Sears.
    I remember my dad starting to unfasten his belt while saying, "I'll take care of this."
    Before he could go any further, the female friend of the couple that joined us got in between the belt and me and made some comment along the lines of, "Oh, he's a good boy, just buy it for him!"

My friends, not only did she spare me of the beat-down that I so rightfully earned that evening, but she allowed me to take home one of arguably the best toys ever made:

anyone else?
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

My son was just playing with his repro Evel today.

I never had a tantrum over toys. I usually would be a sore loser at board games and such, but that would usually only be around family. I did whine about things sometimes, but then that would usually be the clue to get the item for a gift to be presented later.
    It's all good!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
      • Jan 22, 2008

I remember after going to see rocky 3, my mom took me to towers department store to get a LJN Hulk Hogan figure. All they had left were heel characters and Jimmy Snuka. I had a minor crying fit but I got the Snuka.

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Yeah, Tantrums would be the last thing to earn me a toy as a kid.

I actually can't remember my brothers or I ever having them, because 1: They didn't work, and 2: They always brought about the exact opposite of the desired outcome.

I don't recall my parents ever denying me anything outright, telling me I can't have it. Only that if I wanted it, I'd have to earn it, either by doing chores or helping out neighbors, or by bringing up my grades.

I may not have been able to get it right away, but if it meant something to me, I'd end up with it, through good behavior, and positive reinforcement, as opposed to a reward to stifle bad behavior, because they couldn't deal with the screaming, and crying.

because I tell ya, they could deal with the screaming and crying. In public. With extreme prejudice.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

Love that Sears. Really fun to go during Christmas time. Thanks for photo.

I got Steve Austin throwing a huge tantrum.
          Second one was when the SW Tautaun's came out. Only two left in the store(Don's Toys at Glendale Galleria) and my brother made me throw a tantrum so we could each get. It worked!!

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

I was never a tantrum throwing child. It simply never occured to me. The only time I would pitch a fit about a toy was if I couldn't find it, or it broke.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• david_b
              Never had enough toys..
              • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              I was never a tantrum throwing child. It simply never occured to me. The only time I would pitch a fit about a toy was if I couldn't find it, or it broke.
              Same here.. The only thing that came close was one year finding ALL the yet-to-be-wrapped grandchildren christmas toy truck gifts under my Grandma's bed and asking her 'WHY I WAS GETTING ANOTHER DUMP TRUCK..?!?'

Every.. darn.. year.., a dump truck. By '72, I had about a half dozen dump trucks, all different sizes, none of which could I use with my GI Joes or MMMs..

I know, I'm blessed to get anything in life. But, jeez..

Oy.

david_b
              Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

I remember one meltdown, over a toy I already had. I had just gotten a Mego Supes, and my mom was dropping me off at my grandma's house for the day. My cousin was also going to be there. When I realized I left Supes at home, I flipped out. I was so upset that I couldn't show it to him, I begged my mom to take me back home to get it. Impossible because it would have made her late, and insane because I was going to see my cousin next day.

Comment

• boynightwing
                  That Carl Guy
                  • Apr 24, 2002

My meltdown involved a Mr.T shirt. We went to a Tshirt place in Toronto where they could put anything on a shirt right there for you. I wanted Mr. T and my brother wanted Micheal Jackson. My mom thought we should both get the same shirt (to this day I don't understand why and she's still cannot explain it...) so we both ended up with Micheal Jackson. I was pretty upset over the whole deal. I don't think I ever wore the shirt more then once. Had they just got me Mr T. I would have worn it all the time.

Comment

• LadyZod
                    Superman's Gal Pal
                    • Jan 27, 2007

Good lord protect me if I *EVER* threw a public tantrum (or private one for that matter.)

I was raised to respect my elders. (And by respect, I mean FEAR.)

The threat alone was enough to have me shaking.

I remember being disappointed when I couldn't have a toy I wanted, but my mom was smart. She guilted me by saying, "You know I would buy it for you if I could. I don't have the money right now. Why don't you ask Santa?" And of course, Santa always forgot to get it, so I had to learn to deal with it.

If you want to read some of my recollections (free plug) check out my blog--link in siggy.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                    Check out my art:
                    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I knew better to throw a tantrum. Not that my parents beat me or anything, but my Mom dragged me around town all the time to pay bills, etc, so I knew to behave out in public.

The closest I ever came was over a Transformer. I had saved up my allowance and was ready to go to Ben Franklin's and pick up the leader of the Aerialbots (Silverstreak?). As my Mom and I are walking toward the aisle, I see this younger kid grab the last one, and he takes off with it. He goes to the toy counter, and his mom buys it for him. I was crushed. I was so upset, I had to fight back tears.

What a weinie!!!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

Hey JB,

Your acting out couldn't be helped. That Evil Kneivel toy was outstanding! The toy came out in the mid-70s and my opinion of it still hasn't changed.

If you get a chance pick up the Evel Kneivel Chopper. You can get it to do flips if you angle the ramp correctly.
                        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                          Home Of The Type3 Body
                          • Jan 18, 2005

That was a cool story. I would not have faired as well. My dad was like Zorro with his belt.
                          He could carve a "D" in my a*s and have his belt back on before I felt the sting...or witnesses could see it.
                          Last edited by Type3Toys; Nov 24, '10, 9:26 AM.
                          LOOK
                          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• grayhank
                            That Fisher Price Guy
                            • Feb 9, 2007

Hmm... growing up in 70s and having a meltdown was unheard of. In the long ago days, Parents had no problems pulling your pants down in public and beating your butt or sending you out to sit in the hot car. Instead of "time-outs" we had "knock-outs".

Although I did have a meltdown at Target just a few weeks ago over a 9 Piece Action Figure set. Then I realized I had the ATM Card... so crying was kind of pointless... considering I was alone. Yeah... I'm kind of a big loser (I know).
                            Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• torgospizza
                              Theocrat of Pan Tang
                              • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by ealdrett
                              Second one was when the SW Tautaun's came out. Only two left in the store(Don's Toys at Glendale Galleria) and my brother made me throw a tantrum so we could each get. It worked!!
                              That's hilarious! It sounds like something I'd try to get my little brother to do, knowing better than to try it myself. Funny stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎