I Heart Colorforms!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johny_Utah
    • Aug 1, 2010

I do have these bad boys. Still in the Shrink wrap.

Comment

• MEL BIRNKRANT
      • Nov 13, 2010

Originally posted by TheDoLittle
      I too have to give out a hearty welcome to Mr. Birnkrant. Many of our family trips consisted of a backseat filled with a variety of the toys featured in the Coloforms catalog, intermixed with burger wrappers and soda bottles, dancing about in a clockwise motion as my Dad misses our exit once again while he u-turns across four lanes of traffic, startling the snowbirds in the beige Winnebago. Laughing at the look of my younger brother as pieces of brightly colored plastic Spider-Man, Batman, and He-Man along with a half eaten french fry complete with ketchup smear stuck to his face made up for the sudden thrill of coming so close to our mortality. I'm sure I was equally as decorated as he, but it didn't matter... I didn't have a mirror and he looked funny.

I'm a graphic designer by trade, and although I hardly ever get to do it professionally, I love package design. Other than your comps, I don't know how much of your work actually went into the final package, but I have always loved their packaging and displays. Even the Colorform logo itself is a wonderful piece of work.

I also had a couple of those "Tru-Dimension" kits when I was a kid, both "Superman" and the "Star Trek" one. I also think "Space Art" would have been a better choice of names, but then I grew up less than 10 miles from Johnson Space Center and was an incurable sci-fi nut!

Okay, who are we kidding... I still *AM* and incurable sci-fi nut!!

And thank you for clearing up the mystery of "Astro Jerk"! I had one as a young kid, that I think I got at the 5 and Dime, and kept ahold of it well into my teen years. I completely forgot what his name was and seeing his package complete with that awesome Basso art made my day.
      Hi David. You’re freaking me out! I cant believe anyone actually had an Astro Jerk or True Dimension, for that matter.

You raise a curious question about who “did” the art work. Not sure what you’re asking. That question could be addressed from a variety of angles, ranging from the bread and butter of it, to esoteric speculation on the essence of Art and Originality.

Looking at your versatile website. I noticed the drawing of a mouse done by computer mouse, looked like there was also some pretty adept pencil work in there too.

Since the early days of Colorforms, the way that one does artwork has dramatically changed. Every line you see in all the art on the Colorforms site had to be drawn (or traced) by hand. There were no short cuts, no computers or copying machines. First it was sketched out in pencil, followed by successive overlays, each one refining it more. Then the final line was carefully traced in ink. Today, one can turn a pencil line into an ink line instantly on the computer. And try out any color scheme. Back then, if one made a mistake coloring, they had to start all over again, tracing the black line, once more, by hand.

Working with licensed characters requires a unique lack of ego. What was required, above all, was a great deal of versatility, and adaptability. At its most successful, the artist working with a license is able to set his own identity aside and assume the identity of the artist, who created the license to begin with. So the art on a Colorforms set, when it was at its best, was less about art, and more about Art Forgery. Sometimes there was good reference material, sometimes not, in which case we had to fake it.

Most of the products you see in the catalogues represent the work of just three people. We each had to be able to do it all from start to finish, and did. When you look at the catalogue, with that in mind, you will appreciate our versatility. Between us, we managed to replicate the style of every popular license of the day, and produce art that was often better than the original material we were given. I guess that sounds boastful, I don't mean it that way. I mean that much of the time we were given very little.

Colorforms sets were unique, in that the toy and the packaging were one in the same. It was really all about the art; the packaging was secondary.
      MEL BIRNKRANT
      The Outer Space Man

Comment

• TheDoLittle
        Disco King Discomboblator
        • Oct 24, 2010

Originally posted by MEL BIRNKRANT
        Hi David. You’re freaking me out! I cant believe anyone actually had an Astro Jerk or True Dimension, for that matter.
        I come from a family of PhD engineers as well as full and part time crafters. My mother is fully retired and spends the days embroidering, sewing quilts, and making dolls. My father is semi-retired and spends his free time on building robots. Up until a few years ago when my grandmother passed away, she and my aunt had a pottery farm. My brother is an accomplished sculptor and guitarist, and I still build and paint physical models when I'm not building and painting them in the computer.

Arts and crafts projects were a vital part of my childhood. With my own children we made many trips to the craft store for a variety of projects, either personal or scholastic. Even today I frequent the local Hobby Lobby and Michael's (both of which are too dangerously close to my house!) not just for the usual art supplies, but I enjoy going down the children's craft aisle to see all the bright colors and fun shapes. I even picked up an honest to goodness "Shrinky Dink" brand printed Halloween set last month and not just the generic "Shrinking Plastic" sheet material for a laser printer. The "Tru-Dimensions" were just a fond memory that I would love to see come back to the store shelves.

You raise a curious question about who “did” the art work. Not sure what you’re asking. That question could be addressed from a variety of angles, ranging from the bread and butter of it, to esoteric speculation on the essence of Art and Originality.
        In retrospect I re-read the history and see you said you didn't necessarily had an "Art Department". The design firm where I work, we only have a handful of employees and we have to wear many hats... with the exception of our art director and proprietor, who has been running this design gig for over 35 years. He has almost no knowledge of the computer other than turning it on and sending an e-mail. He's 20 years my senior and I'm about 10 to 15 years older than our next oldest employee (I came late to the game). I do most of the pre-flight and pre-press for our print works and also head up any web projects we are involved in. The boss usually puts forth whatever ideas he thinks the projects need, and we are allowed to input whatever variations we feel are needed, but of course he has final decision.

I assumed it was same with Colorforms. Someone, somewhere had final say before it hit the printers and I was just wondering where other than the founding creation you had your hand.

Looking at your versatile website. I noticed the drawing of a mouse done by computer mouse, looked like there was also some pretty adept pencil work in there too.
        This one, correct?
        Picasa Web Albums - David Little WARNING! F-Bomb will ensue!

That was me breaking in my new Wacom tablet. It was also the first time I did an entire drawing in the computer. I usually sit down with pencil and paper, sometimes even going over with a pen, and scanning it into the computer and doing the vector art. With this one it was all created in Adobe Photoshop and then finished in Illustrator.

Not to brag, but I'm pretty good with pencil and paper. This piece was a step outside of my comfort zone as the computer doesn't always allow for those "happy accidents" which makes a piece interesting. I had planned on going even further with the piece by bringing it into Corel Painter and either painting with watercolor, pastels, oil, or a combination of all three. I may still do that in the future, but I'm happy with the look now.

Since the early days of Colorforms, the way that one does artwork has dramatically changed. Every line you see in all the art on the Colorforms site had to be drawn (or traced) by hand. There were no short cuts, no computers or copying machines. First it was sketched out in pencil, followed by successive overlays, each one refining it more. Then the final line was carefully traced in ink. Today, one can turn a pencil line into an ink line instantly on the computer. And try out any color scheme. Back then, if one made a mistake coloring, they had to start all over again, tracing the black line, once more, by hand.
        I teach both a basic graphic design class (using Phillps and Lupton's wonderful book "Graphic Design: The New Basics" as the textbook) and an intro to computer graphics class where we teach the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat).

In the graphic design class I only allow construction paper, scissors, glue, and a pencil. No x-acto, no rulers, no templates, no computers. After the lecture on whatever design principle(s) we are going over that day (i.e. Symmetrical/Asymmetrical Balance, Shape, Scale, Alignment, etc.) they start with black and white 9x12 paper they have to create abstract objective designs, usually within 20 minutes. It gets them thinking on their feet. My number one complaint from the class is that they cannot understand why we don't use Photoshop. I explain that without even a modicum of art skill, the only thing Photoshop will make for you is a bevel and drop shadow. The programs are no different than sitting at a drawing table with your art supplies and creating your work. The computer only allows you to do it faster and sharper and easier to get to a printer. People who can slap a font across a photo and fix red-eye are a a dime a dozen. Find me someone with a truly original cartoon character or the ability to paint oil portraits without using a filter and they will be the ones earning the big bucks.

Working with licensed characters requires a unique lack of ego. What was required, above all, was a great deal of versatility, and adaptability. At its most successful, the artist working with a license is able to set his own identity aside and assume the identity of the artist, who created the license to begin with. So the art on a Colorforms set, when it was at its best, was less about art, and more about Art Forgery. Sometimes there was good reference material, sometimes not, in which case we had to fake it.
        I always tended to have the Superhero sets, although I vaguely remember having that Sesame Street one where it was actually on Sesame Street. Although they tended to be black printing over one color, they were always very colorful and to hell if the art wasn't an original Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, or whoever. They were fun!!

Most of the products you see in the catalogues represent the work of just three people. We each had to be able to do it all from start to finish, and did. When you look at the catalogue, with that in mind, you will appreciate our versatility. Between us, we managed to replicate the style of every popular license of the day, and produce art that was often better than the original material we were given. I guess that sounds boastful, I don't mean it that way. I mean that much of the time we were given very little.
        Not boastful, but incredible you were able to produce those toy designs with such a little workforce. If anything, I salute you!

Colorforms sets were unique, in that the toy and the packaging were one in the same. It was really all about the art; the packaging was secondary.
        A funny thing that, a few years ago we actually thought of getting some Colorforms sets for our basic design classes. Sadly we couldn't find any so we settled for a bunch of magnetic shapes and little metal boards. I always look at them with a little disappointment.
        Last edited by TheDoLittle; Nov 16, '10, 1:09 PM.
        ---
        David O. Little
        -=The DoLittle 8-)=-
        My Blog
        Picasa Web Albums - David Little

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

i had the batman, spiderman and even the huge king kong colorforms set! hours of fun!

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

I had 3 of the Tru-Dimesions as a kid - Batman, Superman and Spiderman. All 3 hung in my room. Somewhere along the way I lost Supes and Spidey. I've managed to get Spidey back and have been searching non-stop for all the others.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by MEL BIRNKRANT
              I cant believe anyone actually had an Astro Jerk or True Dimension, for that matter.
              I had and adored the Spiderman True Dimensions. It hung in my room for years!
              Last edited by Wee67; Nov 16, '10, 4:44 PM.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• mightyquinn
                Proud to be a Nerd
                • Aug 4, 2009

Still remember playing with the Spiderman and Hulk playset. Hours of quite fun, a parents dream toy! That Dracula's Castle looks neat.
                Wanted: Lincoln Dracula & Hunchback, AHI Male Creature, Remco Phantom, Ghost of Captain Kid, 8" Tomlands

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                  Career Member
                  • May 14, 2007

I had several Colorforms sets as a kid but they are all gone now since I wore them out by actually playing with them. I remember the Trickey Mickey Magic Colorforms from 1973 along with a Batman, G.I. Joe and Star Trek set. I also had the Castle Dracula playset. My sister had one of the large Holly Hobby playsets.

I also remember having the Famous Heroes Color and Re-color featuring characters from DC Comics.
                  Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Wee67
                    I had and adored the Spiderman True Dimensions. It hung in my room for years!
                    I never had any of the Tru-Dimension kits. But a childhood friend had a Spiderman. Only one I ever saw.

BIG THANK YOU Mr. Brinkrant! You made ALOT of my childhood memories GREAT!
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎