X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Popular board games from your childhood

When I was a kid, I never had too many board games of my own. The family had a few: Monopoly, Bingo, Jeopardy, Scrabble, chess and checkers. But during the time my family used these games, I was too young to play them. I longed for some of my own. I had:

Candy Land
    Booby Trap
    Stay Alive
    Perfection
    Twister
    Superstition
    Operation
    Magic Magic Magic!
    (the last one came from my brother, and wasn't a whole lotta fun, except for the tricks it came with).

OK, maybe I did have quite a few.

Some of the more popular games that I constantly saw advertised, (but never owned as a child), were:

Battleship (plain and electronic)
    Connect Four
    PayDay
    Life
    Yahtzee
    Hangman

What were some popular games of your youth?
    Last edited by HardyGirl; Oct 15, '07, 11:05 PM.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

We played a lot of Sorry!, Parcheesi (sp?), Battleship, Monopoly, Trouble, Trivial Pursuit, and yes, Mego's very own Obsession (from what I remember it was a really fun game. Several years back I was going to raid my parents' game cabinet to take that one and add it to my Mego collection, but apparently they sold it at a yard sale or something. D'oh!!)

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Toss Across is all I can think of at the moment. More than likely because my sister and I use to have bean bag fights.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

The obligatory Monopoly, Life, Clue, Connect Four...but then we also had The Happy Days Game, The Muppet Show, Family Feud, Jaws, Bermuda Triangle and a Charlie Brown/Peanuts game.

At my Gram's you could always count on Trouble when you were board (pun and spelling intended). At my aunt's it was Headache.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

Pretty much the same as most here. Life, Monoply, Connect Four, Rebound, Don't break the Ice, Sorry, Trouble, Battleship, Can't remember the name but some type of table tennis game, Fantastic Four game and Scrabble

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Othello, Mastermind.

A couple of days ago, I pulled out the game Nightmare to play with my 8 year old nephew. He looked at it and said "Wow they used to make things much nicer in the Old Days". I have had that game for about 19 years, but his comment just made me chuckle to myself...my era is almost beyond counting in his mind.

Comment

• Adam West
              Museum CPA
              • Apr 14, 2003

We had the usual growing up.

I always enjoyed playing my mom in checkers or chinese checkers. She played to win and would never cut me a break so it became very satisfying when I could finally beat her consistently.

Risk and Stratego were favorites of mine. When I got older I had the game Conquest of the Empire and those games are just crazy long. Sometimes we would play the game off and on for weeks.

My kids enjoy playing games like yahtzee, slamwich, chinese checkers, etc. when I pull them from the computer.

Every once in a while if there is a competition streak running through us, my wife and I will go head to head in Scrabble.
              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Mine were-Clue,Monopoly,Hungry Hippos,and operation
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• z3zep
                  The Girl Next Door
                  • Sep 30, 2006

I loved Mouse Trap & Operation & Manhunt. We also had the usuals Life, Sorry, Clue, Masterpiece,Payday, Trouble....

I got a lot of hand-me-down games from the 60s - Branded, Journey into the Unknown, Silly Safari, Blockhead, Go for Broke, Mystery Date

Fun stuff

Comment

• jayihdz
                    aaaggghhhh!
                    • Mar 6, 2007

Loteria!!! The mexican version of bingo with colorful pictures of a drunk and a mermaid with nice boobs and many others, it was fun. Also serpientes y escaleras another mexican version of shutes and ladders.....those were the days!!!! Now go back to Halo on X-box 360......
                    Last edited by jayihdz; Oct 17, '07, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Bill
                      Parminant Memble
                      • Oct 20, 2002

There were a few random games that I have great memories of playing; Green Ghost stuck in my mind for years until I actually found a used version of the game at a toy show years ago, pre-eBay. In the early 80's there were a few boardgames that you had to construct out of cardboard panels, I remember a Scooby-Doo version of the game.
                      My favorite, and an eBay find pretty early on was a 60's-ish game from Germany. A plastic base with a putt-putt course and there were a few loops and other obstacles that you had to put on the board. You would "play" by swiveling the body of a golfing figurine and hit a tiny ball around the course. A childhood favorite at my aunt's house that I stumbled across by searching wildly on eBay.

Comment

• slats7
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Jun 20, 2007

This is one of the photos we used in The Bionic Book (now on sale!). That little kid must have been the envy of his classmates.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by slats7
                          This is one of the photos we used in The Bionic Book (now on sale!). That little kid must have been the envy of his classmates.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6180/leezx8.jpg
                          WHOA! That is just too cool! What a privledge! And I have this game too!
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Sowth
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 14, 2006

I loved Toltoy's "Haunted House" which was a local version of (I think) "Which Witch". Been wanting one for a while but they go for silly money in good nick.

Cheers,
                            Will
                            Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• EllaJames
                              • Sep 28, 2007

I grew up in the 80's, but I had the Barbie Dream Date game, and Trivial Pursuit was always popular (my Mum and I both love Trivia). We also played a lot of cards, I can remember playing poker for candy when I was younger.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎