Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mefiboschet
    Career Member
    • Nov 29, 2003

Now imagine, this Commander Cain figure would be 8" scale standing next to the Buck Rogers figures! That's wjat I've been waiting for!!!

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

I don't think I ever asked about peoples feelings on the new BSG here, but I for one love it and would be all over picking up 8 inch figures of them.

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by joyandtomstudios
        People where already complaining about the cost. Adding things like thrones, Ovions and Daggits adds substancially to the tooling cost as these are not reuseable items. Baltar was not offered in the first wave of Amoktime figures as there were issues with getting the likeness rights from the actor's estate. If you think you have this all figured out when are the figures you are producing coming out? It's easy to sit back and imagine what you would like to have, and how easy it should be for someone else to provide it for you. That isn't the case by a long shot. Getting these kinds of collectibles made requires a lot of time and money. With many factories in the Orient unionizing, the retail cost is going to skyrocket on collectibles across the board. Then there is dealing with movie/tv studios and the actors themselves. It may look like a no brainer from where you are sitting, but it's hardly as easy as you may think.
        Been there, done that myself. If its not cranky actors, its their oodles of off spring who all want to live a lavish lifestyle off the licenses!! AARGH!

Just curious, have these likenesses been signed off on, and do you currently own them or does Amok Time? I understand if you cant say....I'm just kicking tires here. If the designs were yours to use, and signed off, this could make this whole venture a lot easier!...Hint hint..nudge nudge..wink wink
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

From past discussions here, I think the new BSG (and the JJ Trek movie) should be added to the "No-Religion--No Politics rule.

Some like it, some hate it.....actually its more like LOVE or absolutely DETEST!

"Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Mefiboschet
            Career Member
            • Nov 29, 2003

In regard to the new BSG, I think, for most of us, who collect and customize Mego (or 8" for that matter) figures, our hobby is fanned by childhood memories. It's all about movies, TV series we saw, comics we read and toys we had back then. Seen from todays movie & special effects standards, classic BSG is quite cheesy, but so was Buck Rogers, Star Trek TOS, Space 1999 and what have you.
            Even with the new quality and detail the ZICA BR are still retro-style figures and that's what most of us are looking for.
            So doing a new TV series like the new Galactica show in retro style just doesn't appeal to me. I personally want to see realized, what I dreamed about 30 years ago as a kid. And that was BSG and BR to go along with my 8" Trek figures.
            The new BSG show figures have already been realized in modern 6" scale and I think protos of new Adama and Apollo were made in 12" either by Majestic or Amok.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

All the hurdles aside, giving it another go at the 8" scale (and thus lower price point) might be a way to use those existing sculpts! Although I guess if the retailers in question couldn't get the numbers the first time, they might be more hesitant about going through the bother again vs finding another license that might be more popular or easier to produce.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Mefiboschet
                Career Member
                • Nov 29, 2003

Originally posted by samurainoir
                All the hurdles aside, giving it another go at the 8" scale (and thus lower price point) might be a way to use those existing sculpts! Although I guess if the retailers in question couldn't get the numbers the first time, they might be more hesitant about going through the bother again vs finding another license that might be more popular or easier to produce.
                I was thinking about the very same thing. If joyandtomstudios already has gone through all the hassle concerning aquiring the rights, sculpting the prototypes and all the other stuff involved in such a project, why not make use of the hard work and time that was already invested to come up with an 8" line. Of course we are not the ones to decide this, but the parties that would be involved in this.

But as for the sculpts, it is no problem to downscale them.

Georg

Comment

• joyandtomstudios
                  • Jan 5, 2010

Originally posted by Captain
                  Been there, done that myself. If its not cranky actors, its their oodles of off spring who all want to live a lavish lifestyle off the licenses!! AARGH!

Just curious, have these likenesses been signed off on, and do you currently own them or does Amok Time? I understand if you cant say....I'm just kicking tires here. If the designs were yours to use, and signed off, this could make this whole venture a lot easier!...Hint hint..nudge nudge..wink wink
                  The final tooling masters have not been done on those heads because they haven't gone into production. After we paint the prototype heads we often find things we can improve on and those changes are made to the final casting that goes to the factory. Those sculpts belong to Amoktime. They allowed us to post images of our work on our website, but we have no rights to the actual sculpts themselves. Classic BSG may be more successful in the Mego scale as it seems to be a hot format right now. I don't think we have pictures of them on our site but we did some of the characters from the new BSG in Mego scale for Robot Chicken. If I remember correctly it was Starbuck/Helio/Adama/Tige. Majestic did prototypes of Adama and Apollo for the new BSG, not Amoktime.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by joyandtomstudios
                    If you think you have this all figured out when are the figures you are producing coming out? It's easy to sit back and imagine what you would like to have, and how easy it should be for someone else to provide it for you.
                    Look. I'm the customer here. I don't have to offer figures. But if someone does, I will offer my opinions on them, whether it's about price, sculpt, you name it. This is a figure review forum, and that's what I do.
                    Most of what happens here is speculation about what is coming out, and what we would like to see on the shelves.
                    And hey, I have bought all five BSG figures that have been released. Chill, man....

PS: let's get back on subject, as the thread title suggests, ok? We're getting sidetracked...
                    Last edited by Gorn Captain; Oct 29, '10, 3:17 AM.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 18, 2007

Craig what are the chances of this happening...there is a lot of interest, but thats not always enough. What can we do to help make this happen?

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

let's make it happen craig!! please?

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

pretty please?

Comment

• ZICA
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
                            Craig what are the chances of this happening...there is a lot of interest, but thats not always enough. What can we do to help make this happen?
                            Make sure people buy a lot of the Buck Rogers figures and I'll see what I can do. Honestly, when I was at the NYCC I spoke with the owner of Amok Time who currently has the license for the 1/6 scale classic BSG figures and I can tell you it's not cheap. I'm a huge fan of the show and at some point I would love to be able make figures from the series in 1/9 scale.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 18, 2007

cool. You make em I'll buy em....and make sure others do the same. any way of you throwing a number out there...kinda give us an idea what a license like that costs....

Comment

• starsky
                                veteran member
                                • Aug 26, 2007

between $1000-$25000?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡