X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mefiboschet
    Career Member
    • Nov 29, 2003

Originally posted by Ranger 3

The problem with classic BSG stuff is that fans have had 30 years to learn the details of the hero costumes, so the bar is set really high.

M
    THAT is the reason, why ZICA should work on these. Just look at the detail of the Buck Rogers line.
    Read the thread on the Promo pics. Even those, who never were into BR at all, are interested in these figures because of the detail. They are simply a must-have in the 8" realm!

Comment

• CaptainTrenchcoat
      Career Member
      • Jul 6, 2006

I actually like the detail better on 12" figures normally. The 12" BSG figures never looked quite right to me though and never bought any. Even when they have been dropping in price on ebay. From what I have seen of the Buck Rogers figures, they are better sculpted with better accessories. I will definitely be buying these. So if ZICA did BSG in Mego scale, sign me up.

Comment

• starsky
        veteran member
        • Aug 26, 2007

i agree, the 12 inch bsg figures that came out were subpar. some of the head sculpts didnt really look like the actors. but nothing compared to what zica has done with buck rogers in the 8 inch format!

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
          To Fear is Not Logical...
          • Feb 17, 2008

I love the classic show, but had no desire to try and collect the 12 inch figures. Like others have said, there was just something...off... that shouldn't have been for 12" figures and the starting price. 8" figures would be a 32 year old dream come true.
          It's all good!

Comment

• joyandtomstudios
            • Jan 5, 2010

Our studio sculpted the prototypes for the Amoktime BSG figures (Athena/Boomer/Tige/Cain/Lucifer). Amoktime really wants to release these, but there have been a lot of problems along the way. Getting these projects from prototype to store shelves is like trying to cross a minefield blindfolded. It will be a real disappointment if these never get released. At least I have a set of them. Mego scale may prove less troublesome as it seems a majority of BSG fans are looking for collectibles at a lower price point than the 12 inch figures were planned to retail for. I meet Craig at NYCC. Really nice guy with a lot of attention to detail. I'm sure if he decides to take on BSG they will come out great.

http://www.joyandtomstudios.com/imag...lery/index.htm
            Last edited by joyandtomstudios; Oct 26, '10, 9:16 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

In August I spoke with Amoktime (at a horror show) and the preorders were low for Lucifer and the figure has been scratched. I didn't ask about the other figures.
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

I did buy the 12 inch line, and the Cylons remain favorites to me. All I needed to add was their metal skirts, which were missing from the Majestic figures. Apollo and Starbuck were good, but the face sculpts lacked a little "spark" (with the Starbuck paint job being somewhat bland).
                I love the 12 inch format, and I think the lack of continuity killed the BSG line, not particularly the quality. Had the line progressed, I would have bought all of them, the only problem being that the Amok Time re-releases were overpriced, IMO. I would have bought a couple of Cylon army builders, if not for the price tag.
                If figures like Athena and Boomer make it, I'll still have a good look at the face sculpt before buying. These are not "must have" characters, and I felt that the prototype sculpts again were "not there yet".
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Chris
                  In August I spoke with Amoktime (at a horror show) and the preorders were low for Lucifer and the figure has been scratched. I didn't ask about the other figures.
                  I can't exactly say old Light Bulb Head is a favorite. Hey, guys, where's Baltar? Throw in a vac formed throne, and you've got a customer right here!
                  And how about some Ovions and daggits?
                  With these, you don't even need actor face approval.

How about getting this line going again by including one vac formed (meaning cheap) piece of a Viper?
                  Collect the whole line, and in the end you have a snapfit Viper!

Jeez, do I have to do ALL the thinking around here....
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• david_b
                    Never had enough toys..
                    • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                    I can't exactly say old Light Bulb Head is a favorite. Hey, guys, where's Baltar? Throw in a vac formed throne, and you've got a customer right here!

How about getting this line going again by including one vac formed (meaning cheap) piece of a Viper?

I hear ya...! Sometimes you feel they're just 'phoning' this in...

david_b
                    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Hokey Smokes! Commander Cain.

Just imagine the Airplane! custom figure!
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• torgospizza
                        Theocrat of Pan Tang
                        • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by joyandtomstudios
                        Our studio sculpted the prototypes for the Amoktime BSG figures (Athena/Boomer/Tige/Cain/Lucifer). Amoktime really wants to release these, but there have been a lot of problems along the way. Getting these projects from prototype to store shelves is like trying to cross a minefield blindfolded.
                        First off, well done--I've always thought those were beautiful and much better than the Apollo and Starbuck figures that were released. Your sculptors are phenomenal. One thing, though--I thought these were released and available for purchase. Is this not so? I'm fairly certain I've seen them for sale around the Net.

Comment

• Mefiboschet
                          Career Member
                          • Nov 29, 2003

Originally posted by torgospizza
                          First off, well done--I've always thought those were beautiful and much better than the Apollo and Starbuck figures that were released. Your sculptors are phenomenal. One thing, though--I thought these were released and available for purchase. Is this not so? I'm fairly certain I've seen them for sale around the Net.
                          You probably saw the pre-order items on the web. I had pre-ordered them also, but they were never delivered.

Comment

• joyandtomstudios
                            • Jan 5, 2010

Originally posted by Gorn Captain

People where already complaining about the cost. Adding things like thrones, Ovions and Daggits adds substancially to the tooling cost as these are not reuseable items. Baltar was not offered in the first wave of Amoktime figures as there were issues with getting the likeness rights from the actor's estate. If you think you have this all figured out when are the figures you are producing coming out? It's easy to sit back and imagine what you would like to have, and how easy it should be for someone else to provide it for you. That isn't the case by a long shot. Getting these kinds of collectibles made requires a lot of time and money. With many factories in the Orient unionizing, the retail cost is going to skyrocket on collectibles across the board. Then there is dealing with movie/tv studios and the actors themselves. It may look like a no brainer from where you are sitting, but it's hardly as easy as you may think.

Comment

• JediJaida
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 14, 2008

I have those figures, and they are ridiculously overpriced!

The sculpts are very bland looking, although the details of the clothing is spot on, and the weapons are perfect.

Still, as I've said before, I'd LOVE to see these in 8" format.

For one thing, they'd be easier to display, and store.

For another, they'd be a lot easier on the wallet.

Thirdly, they'd be easier to photograph and show off.
                              JediJaida

Comment

• joyandtomstudios
                                • Jan 5, 2010

Originally posted by torgospizza
                                Thanks for the compliment. The person who posted after you is correct. Several online stores were offering the figures as preorders. Last I heard all those preorders combined where not enough for them to move forward with production.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎