Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by livnxxxl
    I have seen that happen before to with things going South. It is always a bad possibility. Your idea is as to how to go about the money option is indeed good business practice in which I would think many would agree.
    Definitely. Asking money up front is always a risk for the buyer.
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

This sounds awesome!
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• AAAAA
        Permanent Member
        • Oct 28, 2005

i would find a substitute, in china i would make the set little different, mass market it under soething like
        sea king and the attack of the man eating shark
        example of one being produced
        Amazon.com: Discovery Channel Exclusive Turbo Tiger Shark Water Toy: Toys Games
        Last edited by AAAAA; Oct 9, '10, 9:54 AM.

Comment

• reevefan78
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by AAAAA
          i would find a substitute, in china i would make the set little different, mass market it under soething like
          sea king and the attack of the man eating shark
          example of one being produced
          Amazon.com: Discovery Channel Exclusive Turbo Tiger Shark Water Toy: Toys Games
          I have a friend that owns his own toy company and he also acts as a liaison between other companies in the states wanting to look for manufacturing companies overseas. A lot has changed in China over the years he told me....gone are most of the little manufacturing companies that would take on production of 1000 or so pieces. Now there is a minimum 5,000 to 10,000 pieces that are required before production begins and that is just not financially feasible for me to do. Plus I just don't think that that many shark sets would sell to make it worth the cost even if I could come up with that kind of money. So doing a small run would have to be produced one at a time....sure it's more work but also more feasible in the short term which I think is all the life this set would have IMHO.
          Last edited by reevefan78; Oct 9, '10, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• reevefan78
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 3, 2008

Mego's Great White Shark Repro project is a "go"! Need contact info if interested.

Looks like the Mego Great White Shark project is moving forward. I need contact info for those who are interested along with answers to the following questions. Please send contact info and answers to the following questions below to my email address at krismeadows@bellsouth.net

1. What would you be willing to pay for a high quality repro Mego Shark? (not looking to gouge anyone, just a fair price that would make it worth the effort but collectible at the same time. I am working on getting a high quality repro box made as well but this is strictly for the shark right now)

2. If a fair price was offered for a high quality repro would you be willing to purchase one? I'm looking for definite buyers interested here. (I am working on getting a high quality repro box made but this is strictly for the shark right now)

3. Would you want it to be nearly indistinguishable from the real thing with a right and left half held together by 3 screws (see pic below) or do you just want a repro shell?

4. Would you want a working model or a static one and if a static model would you want it to appear with all of it's original parts including the propeller?

5. Besides the Mego Museum members and ebay where else could I market this repro in an effort to reach as many collectors interested in it as possible?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

[QUOTE=reevefan78;624394]

5. Besides the Mego Museum members and ebay where else could I market this repro in an effort to reach as many collectors interested in it as possible?

I would say ebay is your best bet (besides here)
              It's basically a repro or a custom ... people sell repro's and customs on ebay all the time.

Comment

• reevefan78
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 3, 2008

Repro Great White Shark Box is also a go!

I will be getting high res images from an original box both exterior artwork and interior artwork (including the insert) that I am paying to have photographed for creation of a high quality repro box. This is great news as the insert has always been a stumbling block in creating a faithful reproduction box. Things are moving forward.

Tomorrow I will be shipping out my original Mego Shark to my friend so that he can study it and see how to proceed with making the copies from it. This may take some time but I am hoping they can be ready in time for Christmas.
                Last edited by reevefan78; Oct 12, '10, 7:35 PM.

Comment

• reevefan78
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 3, 2008

My Mego Great White Shark is in transit to the moldmaker

Thanks for all the responses that each of you who are interested in this project have provided. I sent out the Mego shark today (Oct 15th) to my friend to have a look at and see what this project is going to take to reproduce it faithfully. According to the post office he should be receiving it by Monday afternoon (Oct. 18th). He will do an excellent job in producing the most faithful display model from my original that will ever be created.......he's like me too, a real perfectionist.

I'll keep adding updates here on the thread as I get info from him on it and the progress as well as any prototype photos of the first shark pulled from the molds. Stay tuned......more to follow next week.

I'm including 3 pics below out of the over 150 pics that I have coming to me on disc that are high resolution images shot directly from an original box that includes the entire insert as well. These have been reduced in size from the original raw digital files.

This flap from the insert appears on the left side of the box when looking at it from the front.

This is part of the logo from the top flap of the box when viewed from the front.

This is one of the 6 panels from the back of the box showing how to install and remove the battery from the battery compartment.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^ So cool!

I never get tired og the Mego "marker" house style that you often see on the vinyl-clad playsets.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

I'd love one.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one, though. :(

No need for motors mate.

Comment

• reevefan78
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        I'd love one.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one, though. :(

No need for motors mate.
                        $50 Would barely even pay for the resin and supplies necessary to build a repro much less the labor. Remember Mego had access to cheap labor in China in the 70s.....we are doing this in today's market and not by the thousands so they are more expensive to produce. I can guarantee you that these won't be $50. But everyone has to decide on what it's worth to them. It is our hope to make the repro nearly indistinguishable from an original unless you know what to look for. We won't know the exact price until all is said and done and we figure out just how much it will cost to produce each one.

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by reevefan78
                          It is our hope to make the repro nearly indistinguishable from an original unless you know what to look for.
                          I think you're aiming a little too high. Go a little less faithful and you could make it cheaper. As it is I'm guessing we're talking at least $200 for a repro shark and in todays economy you won't be selling too many of those
                          Just something to think about
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• reevefan78
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Meule
                            I think you're aiming a little too high. Go a little less faithful and you could make it cheaper. As it is I'm guessing we're talking at least $200 for a repro shark and in todays economy you won't be selling too many of those
                            Just something to think about
                            We are looking into several versions:

1. A static model that is a basic shell where the body is one piece and not two halves held together by screws, the movable upper jaw and the battery compartment capsule at the back of the shark.....not sure if it will include the prop or not.

2. A static model that is more faithful to the original with two halves, the three screws that hold it together, the movable upper jaw and the battery compartment capsule at the back and will include the prop.

3. A third version like the second one mentioned above but will be fully functional for anyone like myself wanting a completely faithful repro.

Still I think $50 is a bit unrealistic to expect given that everything will be done by hand and not mass produced. But again we won't know exactly what we are looking at cost wise until the molds are made, casts, poured and the labor is figured into it as well. More to follow soon.

Comment

• toys2cool
                              Ultimate Mego Warrior
                              • Nov 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure most of us understand it was never going to be anywhere near $50
                              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Brad
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Aug 20, 2010

Originally posted by toys2cool
                                I'm pretty sure most of us understand it was never going to be anywhere near $50
                                Yep, I figured it would be around $63.48 or so.
                                "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎