Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
    ^ The insert is definitely the hardest part of the GWS repro box....At one point I did start to try and redraw the insert design but it proved to be too intricate without an actual photo/scan of a flattened out insert. Coupled with the fact that there wasn't too much general interest in a repro GWS box when there aren't that many collectors with actual Sharks in their possession to begin with.

However a repro Shark would change all that I'm sure and if decent photos/scans could be provided of an actual insert I'd be more than happy to revisit the project. And the box itself is already designed so it'd just be a simple swap of higher-res images if those could be provided as well for the actual box.
    Yeah ..? Now where did I leave my boxed Shark?

Comment

• mikeoz
      Mego Maker
      • Mar 9, 2007

I'd be interested in a reproduction. I wouldn't be concerned about having a motor inside. A repro box would be great.
      Looking for:
      Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• reevefan78
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 3, 2008

Verdict's in folks.........my "Mego Great White Shark Meet" went better than expected. I met with the mold maker and he studied my shark and said not only can he duplicate it (in 5 molds) but he can make it hollow just like mine.

The original can and will be dismantled (don't fret, he has assured me he can do it without damaging mine after looking it over carefully)....as I said he's one of the best in the biz and his cell phone log reads like a who's who of the toy, figure, maquette sculpting & mold making industry like you'd have to see to believe. Although I cannot divulge his name or who he knows believe me I have the BEST guy for the job! I am a pretty good judge of character and I know good work when I see it and the stuff he's made prototype molds for would make your head spin "like a kinda top!"

Anyway, when we got down to brass tacks I asked him how much it would cost me and if it could be done.....he said "doin' it is the easy part"........to which I asked what the hard part would be "depends what you are wanting to spend on it".......my heart sank a little but if I can swing this in any way....I will.

I'm supposed to call him tomorrow night when he's had time to figure the costs up properly......I am hopeful that it will be within my budget. I'll post again tomorrow if he has had a chance to give me a quote for the project.

Stay tuned....more to follow soon.

Kind Regards.

Comment

• timb
          Will Draw for Toys
          • May 1, 2009

That is awesome news man!

Comment

• captact
            King of Super Queens!
            • Aug 19, 2007

OH BOY!!!! I hope this project can come true for all us collectors,...and at a price point that all of us can afford! (and reevefan78 also).

Ray

Comment

• wilbs518
              Mego Collector
              • Jul 25, 2009

Sweet news.
              sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Well, you're already half way there, that's great news. This isn't the first time someone has come up with this idea, but no one has ever gotten this close to actually doing it.
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Megotu
                  jerk
                  • Dec 16, 2001

"One Meeeeeelyun Dollars.."
                  sigpic

Comment

• reevefan78
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 3, 2008

Hey all.....just wanted to post here and say I'm sorry to everyone for not calling the mold maker this evening as planned to find out what having my Mego shark is going to set me back. I've had too many late nights and early mornings this passed week so I decided to take a late nap early this evening and I overslept passed three alarm clocks.....I was pretty worn out. When I woke up it was a quarter to midnight.....way too late to call the mold maker.

I will call him in the morning and discuss the cost of molding my Mego shark and post the results here tomorrow by early afternoon assuming I can get hold of him when I call and that he's worked up a price for me. Please continue to stay tuned.

Until then I'm going to continue drooling over the boxed Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set that is currently on ebay right now for $4800+ with 3 days still to go in the auction. I'm sure it has the potential of doubling in price in the last few minutes of the auction....should be entertaining to see those high bidders clamor at the last minute over it.

Take care....will be in touch tomorrow.

Comment

• reevefan78
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Spoke to the mold maker briefly this morning but he was right in the middle of a job. He told me to call him after 5 PM EST today (Oct. 7th) and we'd discuss the cost of producing repros of the Mego Great White Shark. I'll post here again this evening once I have had a chance to speak with him about production costs. Stay tuned!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                        MeGoing
                        • May 14, 2003

Looking forward to it! Thanks for keeping us posted. Will cross my fingers that the price is not too deadly

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

You could take orders and money from the people who want them in advance and use that to finance the production.

Comment

• reevefan78
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 3, 2008

Spoke to the mold maker briefly today (well actually yesterday now that it's after midnight EST) before he had to take another call. There's good news and not so good news.

First is the good news......he's agreed to come to my studio and show me how to make the molds for the Shark and a couple of other small things for another project I have going for a couple of hundred dollars. He's assured me he will show me exactly how to do it with the least amount of work and the best results.

Not so good news......I was hoping he'd agree to do it since I have a lot on my plate currently.....3 art exhibitions at the gallery that represents me between now and the middle of February......plus although I have made molds in the past, understand the process and how it's done.......just don't enjoy making them......personally I'd rather be painting or sculpting. But he said he could show me in one day how to do it and our mutual friend who is also a mold maker wants to assist so maybe between the three of us we can manage to get it done quickly and as painlessly as possible. He never gave me a price on how much he would charge me to do it himself but from what little he said about it I gather his prices are way up there. He wants to save me the money but still show me exactly how to do it for a fraction of the cost since we have a mutual friend in common.

So with that said I'll have to get back with him once he has had a chance to list the supplies that I'll need and see when we can hammer this shark out....."this shark, swallow ya whole......a little shakin', a little tenderizin' n' down ya go!"

I'll keep everyone informed as soon as I know more......it's not dead in the water though so hang in there with me.

More to follow soon.

Comment

• reevefan78
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                              You could take orders and money from the people who want them in advance and use that to finance the production.
                              Although in theory that's a good idea.....I'm just not a fan of this method as I have seen things go badly for people who've put money on the table in advance. For me it would be a last resort option. I don't like taking people's money if there is even the slimmest chance that something may go wrong or not work out as planned within the projected time frame. I'd rather finance it myself if possible and go from there. Once I have the mold completed and pull the first successful cast from it I'll feel much better and won't mind taking a few orders then. Stay tuned.....more to follow soon.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                                Megoholic RocketScientist
                                • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by reevefan78
                                Although in theory that's a good idea.....I'm just not a fan of this method as I have seen things go badly for people who've put money on the table in advance. For me it would be a last resort option. I don't like taking people's money if there is even the slimmest chance that something may go wrong or not work out as planned within the projected time frame. I'd rather finance it myself if possible and go from there. Once I have the mold completed and pull the first successful cast from it I'll feel much better and won't mind taking a few orders then. Stay tuned.....more to follow soon.
                                I have seen that happen before to with things going South. It is always a bad possibility. Your idea is as to how to go about the money option is indeed good business practice in which I would think many would agree.
                                Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎