Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drogge
    Career Member
    • Jul 24, 2009

I would totally love a Great White/Aquaman set, I would buy one for sure...

Comment

• wilbs518
      Mego Collector
      • Jul 25, 2009

I would totally love a Great White/Aquaman set, I would buy one for sure...
      me too
      sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

I don't think you can do it without destroying the original, at least to make a repro of what it is now. If you just want a giant, solid paperweight - then that's probably another story.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Richard J. Fowlks
          repeat offender
          • Feb 10, 2010

Wow! What an undertaking and a very generous effort. I am interested, depending on the price point.

Comment

• reevefan78
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by ScottA
            I don't think you can do it without destroying the original, at least to make a repro of what it is now. If you just want a giant, solid paperweight - then that's probably another story.
            Actually, not only is it possible but most likely probable. I am lucky to have a friend who is a mold maker of bronze works and he has a friend that he introduced me to tonight that is one of the best toy mold makers in the business. He makes molds for prototype figures for Sideshow Toys and does most of Marvel's toy prototype figure molds and DC stuff as well.....and the best part of all is he lives about 25 minutes from me. I am meeting him tomorrow and bringing him my "Holy Grail" of Mego sets.....my original Great White Shark for him to study. I spoke with him tonight on the phone and he was very enthusiastic and said "yes we can do anything" and that includes making a mold off my original without damaging it?........and I got a resounding "yes".

This is very good news for everyone who's interested in this project.......I'd love to be able to share my little beauty with as many collectors as I can that don't mind having a faithful repro Great White Shark in their collection. I'll post another message tomorrow night to let everyone know what the mold maker says about reproducing my Mego Shark.

Please feel free to keep writing me and letting me know what you all think about this project that looks very promising so far....I'm flagging names of members who are interested in adding this repro shark to their collection so if you are interested don't be shy.....let me know! Stay tuned, more to follow soon!

Hope all is well!

Comment

• reevefan78
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 3, 2008

Don't worry everyone.....my hope is to make this repro the best you'll ever see.....even set side by side next to the real thing (but I'm not trying to pass this off as anything other than a high quality beautifully detailed repro) but still make it obtainable by as many members that would like to have this beloved "holy grail" in their collection as a beautiful repro display piece as possible.

Tomorrow will be the final verdict on whether this can be done or not......it's all up to what the mold maker tells me. My fingers and toes are crossed for all you wonderful fans of our beloved childhood toys from the Golden Age of Mego Toys and playsets! Stay tuned!

K

Comment

• drmego
                EMCE Toys
                • Jun 15, 2001

When I first read your post, I thought you were looking for someone
                to make the mold for you. Given the extreme rarity of this piece,
                I did not want to offer my services for fear that something would
                happen to the original.

I am very glad to hear that you have an experienced craftsman
                nearby and interested. I suspect that you will be able to sell
                about 400 in the short term, maybe up to 1,000 overall depending
                on the price. Too low a number to go to China, but if you can
                do locally, it may work out.
                www.drmego.com
                www.megoman.com
                www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Merlyn1976
                  Fist of Khonshu
                  • Mar 29, 2005

I'd be interested...
                  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• Sandman9580
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 16, 2010

I'd be interested to hear the mold maker's take on it. Nowadays things can be digitally scanned and the "missing" chunks re-sculpted inside a software program, eliminating the need to take apart the toy. It all depends on what kind of tools you can get access to. And your budget.

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

Will you be able provide the reproduction box to go with the Shark. The one you have looks quite impressive in the pic with exception of the insert.

Comment

• reevefan78
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by clemso
                        Will you be able provide the reproduction box to go with the Shark. The one you have looks quite impressive in the pic with exception of the insert.
                        I'm working to try and get some really good high quality pics from a source right now of the outside of an original box and if I can get good hi-res images like I hope to get then I'll have a source for the repro box with better graphics, but unfortunately they don't want to mess with the insert....can't say I blame them. If I had an original box I'd scan it myself.

My repro box was done by Anthony Durso.....although it's just a repro and not perfect by any means (most of the images are low-res due to the rarity of finding an original box to scan directly) Anthony did a great job with what he had to work with and it does make a nice display for the shark and figure. Just know I'm working on getting better images from an original box. More to follow soon.

Comment

• reevefan78
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Sandman9580
                          I'd be interested to hear the mold maker's take on it. Nowadays things can be digitally scanned and the "missing" chunks re-sculpted inside a software program, eliminating the need to take apart the toy. It all depends on what kind of tools you can get access to. And your budget.
                          Well we're talkin' ol' school mold making'/castin' here......wish I had access to that kind of technology but unfortunately I don't. But if there is any chance it can be done without damaging my original shark then the mold maker will find a way......he comes HIGHLY recommended and is one of the best in the biz.....with regular commissions from Sideshow Toys for prototype molds.

Comment

• Hulk
                            Mayor of Megoville
                            • May 10, 2003

I'd probably drop a C-Note for a good repro in a display box, beyond that, you're looking at a fairly limited market I think.

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by reevefan78
                              I'm working to try and get some really good high quality pics from a source right now of the outside of an original box and if I can get good hi-res images like I hope to get then I'll have a source for the repro box with better graphics, but unfortunately they don't want to mess with the insert....can't say I blame them. If I had an original box I'd scan it myself.

My repro box was done by Anthony Durso.....although it's just a repro and not perfect by any means (most of the images are low-res due to the rarity of finding an original box to scan directly) Anthony did a great job with what he had to work with and it does make a nice display for the shark and figure. Just know I'm working on getting better images from an original box. More to follow soon.

That insert is crazy cool , perhaps it could be redrawn?

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

^ The insert is definitely the hardest part of the GWS repro box....At one point I did start to try and redraw the insert design but it proved to be too intricate without an actual photo/scan of a flattened out insert. Coupled with the fact that there wasn't too much general interest in a repro GWS box when there aren't that many collectors with actual Sharks in their possession to begin with.

However a repro Shark would change all that I'm sure and if decent photos/scans could be provided of an actual insert I'd be more than happy to revisit the project. And the box itself is already designed so it'd just be a simple swap of higher-res images if those could be provided as well for the actual box.
                                Last edited by The Toyroom; Oct 5, '10, 7:45 AM.
                                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎