Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

i think it's a great idea but i wouldnt be interested in a repo. it's the thrill of the hunt for me!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

I think it is really sweet of you to consider this, you are obviously coming from a thoughtful and generous place...not just trying to make some money. I think it's a great idea and would be thrilled if you can manage it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Are you kidding!? Of COURSE I'd be interested lol.

For me, the motorized feature is not necessary, just a high-quality styrene copy with hinged jaw...

I do not think, if the shark is clearly maked as a repro & missing the motorized propeller, that many collectors would begrudge it. Reproes are everywhere in the world of Mego & GI Joe...

Nixing the prop. could help reduce production costs, too.

Bless you for considering this.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by starsky
          i think it's a great idea but i wouldnt be interested in a repo. it's the thrill of the hunt for me!
          I'm that weird collector that is frustrated by the hunt...besides, an original GWS is just too rich for my blood.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• reevefan78
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 3, 2008

Thanks for your kind words......this was my all time favorite Mego toy when I was growing up. I loved it so much I wore the hinges off the shark's jaws and God only knows what happened to Aquaman......my little brother probably destroyed it somewhere along the way....with more than half my Star Wars collection too.

I was lucky enough to get a second chance and win this loose one on ebay several years ago and ever since I thought it would be a good idea to give others the opportunity to own one even if it is a repro.....a good quality repro wouldn't cost anywhere near an original one and it still would make a nice display piece.

Anyway, I do feel for collectors that want one of these but can't afford or find an original shark. I would make sure that it was known (although it would be obvious to those that know mego products) that these are repros....just thought it would be a neat novelty item to have among collectors that don't mind high quality repros at an affordable price.

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
            I think it is really sweet of you to consider this, you are obviously coming from a thoughtful and generous place...not just trying to make some money. I think it's a great idea and would be thrilled if you can manage it.

Comment

• reevefan78
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 3, 2008

Thanks for your input. I think for display purposes, aesthetically speaking of course, it would still be good to include the prop in the back of the shark. But I could perhaps begin with a static model and see if anyone is interested in a motorized version and if so go from there.

If I'm going to do this I want to be as faithful as I can to the original in every way....at least from the outside....but it would still be obvious to anyone who is vaguely familiar with this item that it is indeed a repro.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              Are you kidding!? Of COURSE I'd be interested lol.

For me, the motorized feature is not necessary, just a high-quality styrene copy with hinged jaw...

I do not think, if the shark is clearly maked as a repro & missing the motorized propeller, that many collectors would begrudge it. Reproes are everywhere in the world of Mego & GI Joe...

Nixing the prop. could help reduce production costs, too.

Bless you for considering this.

Comment

• captact
                King of Super Queens!
                • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                Im with you!! This is just a generous thought on your behalf!!!! And YES!! Id be interested in a repro one too!! I even have the B/O propeller thingy that goes with it!!!
                Ray
                Last edited by captact; Oct 3, '10, 8:12 PM.

Comment

• amby87
                  • Nov 21, 2009

Great idea!!!

You can count me in too! I may be new here but I'll definitely buy one if you decide to produce a repro shark.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Make it..., If you have the Means to do so.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• MegoMark71
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 18, 2008

It is an interesting idea.

Comment

• AJ Collector
                        The Biggest Little Man!
                        • Aug 24, 2008

Good luck and please keep us posted, would love to see pics of the process.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I'd would suggest perhaps vacuuforming the whole thing.
                          No dissassembly at all.

The buyer would get essentially a model kit of 2 peices (left and right side) to assemble.

I think that would be the cheapest and easiest way to go .. and it allows the buyer to do what the want with it.

Just a thought.

Comment

• timb
                            Will Draw for Toys
                            • May 1, 2009

I'd totally be interested in buying one. I couldn't ever afford the real thing: )
                            Motorized function is unnecessary for me. Just having a repro to display would rock.

Do we have any sculptors on the board who'd be interested in sculpting as opposed to making a mold off the original?

Comment

• Randy
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 12, 2006

I would love to have one!!
                              :0)

Comment

• alex
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jun 15, 2009

Id love one, completely not bothered on the motor, but the propeler, would be a nice touch

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎