Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reevefan78
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 3, 2008

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Hello all,

I am curious if there would be any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set (if it could be done without damage to my original below)? I have often considered reproducing it if it could be done faithfully and at a price that collectors wouldn't mind paying.

Just wondering a couple of things:

1. Would there be any interest among collectors for a repro mego Great White Shark (if it could be done without damage to my original of course)?

2. If so what would be a good price point that collectors wouldn't mind paying that would allow them to have a repro of one of the "Holy Grails" of mego sets and also allow for the project to be worth investing in on my part?

3. Would collectors want a fully functional shark (would be more expensive) or a static model for display purposes only (it would still look the same, just wouldn't be motorized when put in water.....although I wouldn't put one in water anyway.....but that's just me)?

Please feel free to leave your thoughts/ideas here on this thread. Thanks.

BTW.......I know my box is a repro....I had it done by Anthony Durso.....just forgot to mention that and yes, I know this set came with a T2 Aquaman (without the shoulder seams).......my T2 Aquaman is in storage at the moment and when I took these photos I had the T1 (which is original with exception of his belt emblem) within reach so that's what I used for the photos. I am quite knowledgeable about this set.....just wanted to see if there was any interest in reproducing the Shark mainly.

Without further adieu......here's my Mego Great White Shark set:

Last edited by reevefan78; Oct 3, '10, 2:32 PM. Reason: added more info on the repro box and Aquaman figure.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I would be into one of these. Cost would probably be up there tho. One would need to dismantle the shark into its main components. Two sides, jaw, and motor assembly. Then mold and cast the sides and jaw for a static model. These would be pretty large molds and casts and the raw materials would be expensive, but definitely less than the real deal. I am sure one of the talented boxmakers around here could recreate the packaging as well.

Are these glued at the seam as well as being attached by screws? I recall seeing some sharks that have discoloration along the seam line.

btw: Awesome shark set!! Thanks for the snapshots.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Only thing that's original in those shots is the Shark. Box is a repro and the Aquaman is the wrong one for the set. It's a type 1 with what looks like a repro A. Supposed to be a T2 with a Belt that wraps around the back and is loose attached to the outfit by the snaps in the back.

There may be some interest in it...Looks like you are already 3/4 of the way there.

Comment

• reevefan78
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 3, 2008

Not sure about the cost yet. I would want to do this for all the collectors out there that may never have a chance of getting an original one of these since the price is sky high these days on them. Luckily I got my shark several years ago off ebay right around Christmas when I guess most folks were out shopping. I won it for $626 from a seller in Italy.

Anyway, I have two friends that are mold makers and I know a good deal about mold making myself having done a few repro items in the past. One of my friends works for the toy industry and is an expert mold maker of small items and toys. I have two pressure pots for bubble free casts so that wouldn't be a problem......just have to figure out how best to dismantle my shark without damaging it.

It does have glue along the seamlines and a little discoloration as a result......mostly on the bottom of the shark though and does have screws in it too I believe....have to double check that though by looking at it closely.

Mine also has a few minor melt marks on the body but I can fix that in an intermediate repro cast.

Anyway, just wanted to see if there was any interest.

Originally posted by rche
        I would be into one of these. Cost would probably be up there tho. One would need to dismantle the shark into its main components. Two sides, jaw, and motor assembly. Then mold and cast the sides and jaw for a static model. These would be pretty large molds and casts and the raw materials would be expensive, but definitely less than the real deal. I am sure one of the talented boxmakers around here could recreate the packaging as well.

Are these glued at the seam as well as being attached by screws? I recall seeing some sharks that have discoloration along the seam line.

btw: Awesome shark set!! Thanks for the snapshots.

Comment

• reevefan78
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 3, 2008

Yes, I know the box is a repro.....I'm the one that commissioned it from Anthony Durso. I know the Aquaman is a T1 also with a repro emblem but the figure is original too just not a T2 which originally came with the set. I also know the shark is original and that's what my post is mainly about......seeing if there is any interest in a repro of it made available to collectors who cannot afford an original. Thanks!

K

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
          Only thing that's original in those shots is the Shark. Box is a repro and the Aquaman is the wrong one for the set. It's a type 1 with what looks like a repro A. Supposed to be a T2 with a Belt that wraps around the back and is loose attached to the outfit by the snaps in the back.

There may be some interest in it...Looks like you are already 3/4 of the way there.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

IMHO, I wouldn't disassemble the shark...It's a whole lot of work for the possibility of causing damage to the shark when a) you take it apart and b) if taking it apart is successful...putting it back together. Remember the plastic is already 35 years old...you could strip the threads where the screws go in or you could break the plastic where the screws go in by tightening them too much when you put it back together. Way too much risk IMHO. Either way...good luck.

Comment

• reevefan78
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 3, 2008

True! Very good points Blue Meanie.....guess I just wish other collectors could have the chance of having one of these in their collection but I don't want to ruin mine in the process. I would make sure that if it could be done that mine wouldn't be ruined in the process so I'll be consulting my friends who are mold making experts about it and figure out if it can be disassembled without any damage or I will not take the chance. Thanks for your kind and thoughtful input......certainly lots to consider.

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
              IMHO, I wouldn't disassemble the shark...It's a whole lot of work for the possibility of causing damage to the shark when a) you take it apart and b) if taking it apart is successful...putting it back together. Remember the plastic is already 35 years old...you could strip the threads where the screws go in or you could break the plastic where the screws go in by tightening them too much when you put it back together. Way too much risk IMHO. Either way...good luck.

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

How about making a non-functional copy? That way you wouldn't have to take it apart
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

It would be possible to make a cast of the body halves together and then the jaw. You would end up with one big old paperweight of a shark.

Comment

• reevefan78
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 3, 2008

I'm going to consider all options open to me without damage to my original copy. I had one of these as a kid and remember seeing many a set on the clearance table at Toy King (my one stop Mego shop when I was little). Unfortunately I wore out my shark and Aquaman never realizing just how valuable it would become one day. Just wish I had had the foresight to have nabbed a few boxed sets back then. Oh well......one never knows about these things until years later.

Anyway, I would love to hear any and all input from folks who'd be interested or like Blue Meanie just want to give me their opinion on the potential project. Thanks.

K

Originally posted by Meule
                    How about making a non-functional copy? That way you wouldn't have to take it apart

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

I'm sure there would a lot of interest for something like that, but i'm not sure how original owners would feel about it though, especially if they have jut shelled out $4K + for one

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

I doubt copies are gonna affect the price of the originals as it would be pretty easy to spot a copy, especially if they're non-functional
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• reevefan78
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 3, 2008

I'm an original owner of a Mego shark and it wouldn't bother me any more than the Doc Mego repros. It makes a nice display and if a collector is ever lucky and wealthy enough to afford an original they can replace their repro. Besides it won't be hard to spot the repro if you know what to look for and as an honest person I'd never try to pass one off as original to anyone. I just thought it would be nice if other collectors could have a nice display piece if they couldn't afford (or find) an original mego Great White Shark.

Originally posted by clemso
                          I'm sure there would a lot of interest for something like that, but i'm not sure how original owners would feel about it though, especially if they have jut shelled out $4K + for one

Comment

• sauce
                            Removed
                            • Jun 24, 2007

Maybe it could be branded on the bottom with a disclaimer:
                            "I am not the shark you think I am."
                            :-)

Good luck with the project. Copies and reproductions and that discussion can be polarizing. Middle ground might be found only in making new characters that fit into the MEGO Universe.

Bryan

Comment

• reevefan78
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 3, 2008

Oh yeah! It would definitely have something like Doc Mego's DM branded on it that would distinguish it as not being an original.....but again anyone with any modicum of knowledge would know right away that it was a repro......this project would be more of a novelty item than a serious threat to anyone who has an original Shark (like me).

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                              Maybe it could be branded on the bottom with a disclaimer:
                              "I am not the shark you think I am."
                              :-)

Good luck with the project. Copies and reproductions and that discussion can be polarizing. Middle ground might be found only in making new characters that fit into the MEGO Universe.

Bryan

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎