Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help..... Clothing turning green!

Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    Although it doesn't seem to be the case with most Megos, I learned the hard way that some plastics react with each other causing them to appear to melt. I have had some problems with some of my Mego shoes, however. I try to store my best stuff in wooden drawers or wooden boxes.

Ah , good idea , I am open to ideas megos are terrible for melts , id prefer to prevent and further damage ...

The change to green is ever so slight on Mr. F at this point (thank goodness) and a little more pronounced on Spock. Seems a little worse on Spock where his belt rides on his backside. Wee67 mentioned something above about the shirts hitting the plastic "skin" on the figures..... kinda fits this scenario as his belt tends to hold his shirt closer/tighter to his body. Anyway, I will try and post up some pics later this evening....... then promptly remove Spock's belt .

You may have just not noticed it before. It was probably there all along and you got it under the right light. I would think that if they were going to start to turn green they would have already done so years ago? I'm pretty sure the Trek ones have something to do with the phaser belts.
    Rich

Images
    My Spock's shirt is a little green too. I thought it was just his Vulcan blood.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Quote Originally Posted by kryptosmaster View Post
    You may have just not noticed it before. It was probably there all along and you got it under the right light. I would think that if they were going to start to turn green they would have already done so years ago? I'm pretty sure the Trek ones have something to do with the phaser belts.
    Rich
    You know, i think your probably right. Maybe i was being a little paranoid about Mr. Fantastic. I took a pic and compared it to the pic i took of him right after i got him a few weeks ago and i can't see any real difference. I think it was just the lighting as you said. I too, couldn't figure out why all of a sudden they would start turning green on me after all those years. I was just scared i was harming them by storing them in a cardboard box. Here's a pic of Spock.... and again i think you are probably spot on... it looks like it does have something to do with the phaser belt. Whether it is the belt itself or the fact that it holds the clothing tighter against the figure and it is reacting somehow with the plastic body, as mentioned before earlier in this thread...... i don't know. Nevertheless, i took the phaser belt off of Spock for now .

Here's the comparison pics of Mr. Fantastic.... as you can see i was probably being paranoid about him, especially after seeing the green on Spock too. The pic on the left was a few weeks ago and the one on the right was taken tonight. Depending on your computer monitor, if you look real hard at his torso at about the 4 o'clock position you can see a little hint of green. I think the flash kinda washed it out a little too. I can see the same thing in both pics though so i'm sure i was just looking at him in a different light the other day and just then noticed it.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys and gals. At least it gave me an excuse to post up pics of Mr. Fantastic sporting his new boots . Thanks to a couple forum members here for recently hooking me up with those!

I actually find it amazing how well these vintage Megos have held up over the years. I mean the newest ones are nearly 30 years old and to have the rubber bands still tight and the vinyl heads pliable and the clothes and boots not degraded much. That's saying something for the quality of these when they were new.
    Yeah we had a batch of grey heads but if you take those out of the equation our Megos really hold up pretty well for how old they are. Heck, even the grey heads are in good shape, just discolored. Compare that to a SuperJoe. I highly doubt even ONE is still in one piece like they were from the factory.
    Rich

Images
    FMB, Would you be interested in selling those Klingon boots you took off of Mr. F?

Quote Originally Posted by scifiguy94 View Post
    FMB, Would you be interested in selling those Klingon boots you took off of Mr. F?
    Certainly, shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptosmaster View Post
    Compare that to a SuperJoe. I highly doubt even ONE is still in one piece like they were from the factory.
    Rich
    My SuperJoe army will be assembled someday, just one problem, they won't be too handy.