X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fire Marshal Bill
    Career Member
    • Jul 25, 2010

Help..... Clothing turning green!

Aarrrrgghhh! My minty Mr. Fantastic's outfit is starting to get a greenish tint to it . I have him stored in a cardboard box with my other figures. He is not wrapped in anything protective..... well he's in a ziplock baggie now. Same thing is happening to Mr. Spock's shirt, so the common denominator is the blue material on both of these guys. What's going on with this? Is this common? Is it because of the cardboard somehow? I haven't had either figure for very long and it just bums me out completely that these 30 year old figures are getting ruined now..... because of something i am apparently doing wrong . Help please!
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com
  • Fire Marshal Bill
    Career Member
    • Jul 25, 2010

Could this phenomenon be a result of the skin oils on my hands when handling them? I'm just wondering if i will even be able to correct the problem or if it is permanent..... and destined to become worse .

One thing this tells me is that i need to rethink my storage of these guys. I'd love to be able to display them, but that's not in the cards for the time being. Does someone have a link to where i can get some of those clamshells to store them in? Thanks for any help/advice.
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• hobub
      Ghost of a Dead Indian
      • Jun 18, 2001

Keep an eye out for a suit. They come up now and again. I think once they start turning green it is like the yellow sleeve rmr and yellow leg aquaman and permanent.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
        Career Member
        • Jul 25, 2010

What is unusual is that neither one of them had this problem just a couple months ago when i got them. The color of the outfits was spot on. So it would seem that it is somehow being caused by the way i am storing them. I never would have dreamed that putting them in a cardboard box would have caused this though...... if that's what is indeed causing it. All my figures are definitely all going into quart sized baggies for now, until i can purchase some protective clamshells.
        Vintage Toy Rescue
        1614-B N State Hwy 161
        Grand Prairie, TX 75050
        (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
          Banned
          • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by Fire Marshal Bill
          Could this phenomenon be a result of the skin oils on my hands when handling them? I'm just wondering if i will even be able to correct the problem or if it is permanent..... and destined to become worse .

One thing this tells me is that i need to rethink my storage of these guys. I'd love to be able to display them, but that's not in the cards for the time being. Does someone have a link to where i can get some of those clamshells to store them in? Thanks for any help/advice.

Yip I try so hard not to touch rare stuff with bare hands , or only with fresh clean hands , hope you get it sorted store my rare in plastic boxes with non alkaline paper in the bottom , the boxes have air vents . and well you know never store in a bright place ....

Comment

• generic
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by Karen-bionic-fan
            ...store my rare in plastic boxes with non alkaline paper in the bottom , the boxes have air vents...
            Although it doesn't seem to be the case with most Megos, I learned the hard way that some plastics react with each other causing them to appear to melt. I have had some problems with some of my Mego shoes, however. I try to store my best stuff in wooden drawers or wooden boxes.
            Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

The collected wisdom here has yet to discover a way to prevent or correct the blue-to-green issue with Mego outfits. I'm assuming its an interaction between the plastic body and the material (like Cheron's white turning brown). Short of never putting the shirt on the figure, I don't know if there's anything you can do.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• z3zep
                The Girl Next Door
                • Sep 30, 2006

I store my loose figures in these clamshells.

Collecting

I cannot say whether or not these will prevent the color change, but they do stack and store nicely.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 25, 2010

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to get some of the clamshells to store them in and hope for the best.
                  Vintage Toy Rescue
                  1614-B N State Hwy 161
                  Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                  (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• sauce
                    Removed
                    • Jun 24, 2007

While it does suck and you are unhappy about it, sometimes these changes can be quite interesting and even desirable to collect.

Green suits can turn to yellow and in the case of Aquaman and Robin, some folks have been willing to pay extra for those if they are in nice condition.

Can you post a picture?

B

P.S. I dig the TJTOYS clamshell also. Very nice to use and stack. Easy as can be. I make the clamshell lid the back side so I can stare at my figures without the brand name imprint getting in the way.

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
                      Banned
                      • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by generic
                      Although it doesn't seem to be the case with most Megos, I learned the hard way that some plastics react with each other causing them to appear to melt. I have had some problems with some of my Mego shoes, however. I try to store my best stuff in wooden drawers or wooden boxes.

Ah , good idea , I am open to ideas megos are terrible for melts , id prefer to prevent and further damage ...

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 25, 2010

The change to green is ever so slight on Mr. F at this point (thank goodness) and a little more pronounced on Spock. Seems a little worse on Spock where his belt rides on his backside. Wee67 mentioned something above about the shirts hitting the plastic "skin" on the figures..... kinda fits this scenario as his belt tends to hold his shirt closer/tighter to his body. Anyway, I will try and post up some pics later this evening....... then promptly remove Spock's belt .
                        Vintage Toy Rescue
                        1614-B N State Hwy 161
                        Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                        (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

You may have just not noticed it before. It was probably there all along and you got it under the right light. I would think that if they were going to start to turn green they would have already done so years ago? I'm pretty sure the Trek ones have something to do with the phaser belts.
                          Rich

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

My Spock's shirt is a little green too. I thought it was just his Vulcan blood.
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                              You may have just not noticed it before. It was probably there all along and you got it under the right light. I would think that if they were going to start to turn green they would have already done so years ago? I'm pretty sure the Trek ones have something to do with the phaser belts.
                              Rich
                              You know, i think your probably right. Maybe i was being a little paranoid about Mr. Fantastic. I took a pic and compared it to the pic i took of him right after i got him a few weeks ago and i can't see any real difference. I think it was just the lighting as you said. I too, couldn't figure out why all of a sudden they would start turning green on me after all those years. I was just scared i was harming them by storing them in a cardboard box. Here's a pic of Spock.... and again i think you are probably spot on... it looks like it does have something to do with the phaser belt. Whether it is the belt itself or the fact that it holds the clothing tighter against the figure and it is reacting somehow with the plastic body, as mentioned before earlier in this thread...... i don't know. Nevertheless, i took the phaser belt off of Spock for now .

Vintage Toy Rescue
                              1614-B N State Hwy 161
                              Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                              (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡