Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Liquid Goo Phase" (DC Retro-Action Blister)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Astronut
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 21, 2010

"Liquid Goo Phase" (DC Retro-Action Blister)

Sorry if this has already been addressed. Old die-hard Mego fan here, trying to catch up on things re: this DC Retro-Action line. Picked up a Superman and GL yesterday and noticed what appears to be an oily substance inside GL's clear blister... thin stringy smears and tiny droplets of it all along the inside. Two questions: What is it and is there a way to remove it without damaging the blister? Maybe vacuum it out or dry it out through the little holes at the bottom?
  • Delusional B
    Museum Super Collector
    • Nov 14, 2007

This problem was a pretty big deal when Wave 1 started hitting stores and was hashed out six ways from Sunday on these boards. I'm not sure if anyone came to any conclusions for getting it out of the bubble.

However, it does look like current waves of the MattyMegos no longer have this problem.

As far as what it is, the most popular theories were that it is some sort of mold-release spray or silicone spray to keep the head paint from rubbing off on the bubble. Maybe someone else has better insight into this.
    Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

I could be wrong but it's something they spray on the face to protect it. In normal cases you'd never notice but if I understand correctly somebody at the factory had a heavy trigger finger on the spray gun. I think so far only wave 1 has been effected.

I don't think you can remove it from the blister. The only one in my collection where I noticed it was Green Lantern. It had dried by the time I got it but I could see on the blister where it was.

Comment

• Astronut
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, thanks guys. I did a search, found the thread. Sorry

Condensation? Oil? Something inside plastic window of Retro-Heroes - Mego Talk

Bizarre!
        Last edited by Astronut; Sep 22, '10, 9:39 AM.

Comment

• Flynne
          Permanent Member
          • Jan 22, 2003

I've figured out a way to remove the goo without removing the bubble. Take a very small drinking straw (small enough to fit through the openings at the feet of the bubble) and do one of two processes:

1.) Stick a cotton swab with a heavy head of cotton into one end of the straw - stick it down far enough that only one end is showing - this should anchor the swab stick properly - also do not remove the other end of the swab as it will also help to anchor. Now carefully run the straw up through the bubble and wipe the affected area. Equally carefully remove the straw and make sure to not have the swab make prolonged contact with the figure. Repeat as necessary until clean.

2.) Cut the one tip of the straw at a 45 degree angle. Attach the other tip to a small vacuum or other suction device (I used an air compressor on reverse with the straw duct taped to the air hose). Place the 45 degree end against the goo and draw it out.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
          Derek
          Last edited by Flynne; Sep 22, '10, 9:43 AM.
          An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎