X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by ABMAC
    Ghost Rider and Spawn ARE religious figures. Hell is a religious concept, not a secular one.
    They ARE? How so?
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• ABMAC
      User
      • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by Adam West
      They ARE? How so?
      No religion = no Hell. Is that simple enough for you?

Comment

• mego boy CA
        megos are FUN!!
        • Mar 30, 2006

i don't think these figures will sell very well. lots of clearance.
        sigpic
        "To The Batmobile!"
        "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• Adam West
          Museum CPA
          • Apr 14, 2003

No religion = no Hell. Is that simple enough for you?
          About as simple as believing that the world was flat if you were alive 1000 years ago.
          "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
          ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
            Museum CPA
            • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by starbuk
            The World ISN'T Flat ?
            Of course it's not but people believed it was...the point I'm trying to make is that just because you believe or don't believe in something doesn't it make it true or false which is the basic argument Ant made which is illogical at best.

I honestly don't care about anyone else's religious beliefs or lack thereof and I can be respectful of that. I'm not here to talk about religion or try to change anyone's viewpoint on it. But I'm also not going to keep my mouth shut when there is a constant flow of sarcastic remarks regarding my own beliefs.
            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• ABMAC
              User
              • May 16, 2002

Of course it's not but people believed it was...the point I'm trying to make is that just because you believe or don't believe in something doesn't it make it true or false which is the basic argument Ant made which is illogical at best.

I honestly don't care about anyone else's religious beliefs or lack thereof and I can be respectful of that. I'm not here to talk about religion or try to change anyone's viewpoint on it. But I'm also not going to keep my mouth shut when there is a constant flow of sarcastic remarks regarding my own beliefs.
              You obviously misunderstood what I said because your "argument" doesn't even make any sense.

It's not your beliefs I'm commenting on, but your failure to understand the basic principles of your own religion.

The Judeo/Christian belief system includes the faith-based concepts of God, Heaven, Hell, angels, prophets, sin, etc.

Secularism/Atheism teaches right and wrong based on cultural and personal mores which may or may not parallel those of religious teachings. The faith-based concepts of God, Heaven, Hell, angels, prophets, sin, etc., are rejected. Do you understand that? Satan is a religious concept that's rejected by atheists. Atheists don't believe in him.

Saying that Spawn, Ghost Rider, et al., aren't religious is akin to saying that Democrats aren't political, but Republicans are, or vice versa. Or that Luke Skywalker is a Star Wars character, but Darth Vader isn't.

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

The faith-based concepts of God, Heaven, Hell, angels, prophets, sin, etc., are rejected. Do you understand that? Satan is a religious concept that's rejected by atheists. Atheists don't believe in him.

Failure to believe does not equal truth.

Do you understand that!
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
                  Museum CPA
                  • Apr 14, 2003

Furthermore, do not patronize me by trying to give me some type of enlightened lecture on the basic doctrines of Christianity vs. atheism, secularism, sycretism, or religious relativism as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

I am willing to discuss any taboo subject and be respectful of others viewpoints, opinions, and faiths without the constant urge to throw in sarcastic comments or snide remarks as if this is some battle of the intellect or wits.
                  ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>It's not your beliefs I'm commenting on, but your failure to understand the basic principles of your own religion.

Hmmmm.... Or to put it another way; since the responses seem to indicate that the point was kinda missed:

Hell is a religious concept. The idea of a place of eternal torment, and indeed the idea of eternal existence at all is religious. Since characters like Spawn and Ghost Rider have stories that connect them with a hell, they are vis-a-vis religious characters. Or rather; their stories draw from religious thinking. While they may not tie directly into any SPECIFIC religion, they draw elements from one of religion's general thru-lines.

....except maybe when their publishers wuss out, and instead of a hell, they're actually the result of extradimensional entities of an unspecified nature....

And as for religious action figures? Meh. It's been done, it usually meets with minimal success, and in a world where actual religious leaders can hawk diet shakes action figures don't seem too far a stretch.

Don C.

Comment

• ABMAC
                      User
                      • May 16, 2002

Failure to believe does not equal truth.

Do you understand that!
                      Like I said, you don't even make any sense in the context of what I was saying. Methinks you joust at windmills.

Furthermore, do not patronize me by trying to give me some type of enlightened lecture on the basic doctrines of Christianity vs. atheism, secularism, sycretism, or religious relativism as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

I am willing to discuss any taboo subject and be respectful of others viewpoints, opinions, and faiths without the constant urge to throw in sarcastic comments or snide remarks as if this is some battle of the intellect or wits.
                      I haven't been sarcastic, and I haven't attacked your beliefs, yet you seem determined to attack my lack of belief. OK, even though I never said otherwise, I "concede" that failure to believe doesn't prove anything (if that's the point you're trying to make). Now can you go back and reread what's actually in my posts instead of making blind assumptions?
                      Last edited by ABMAC; Oct 24, '07, 9:19 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I have to butt in, we're getting onto a weird tangent and I really don't know why. I think Anthony's entire point was the Devil is a religious character and he's correct, it's part of the judeo/christian/islamic belief. It's unlikely you accept the concept of hell without heaven.

I don't see him taking any jabs at people's beliefs nor is he trying to say his views are superior and I'm sensitive to that.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ABMAC
                          User
                          • May 16, 2002

Thank you, Don and Brian.

Comment

• Adam West
                            Museum CPA
                            • Apr 14, 2003

This is not isolated to this particular thread. The sarcastic remarks and comments have been a running theme anytime any slight reference to religion is discussed and many of those topics have long been pulled and are sitting in the archives or out in the ether.

I and many others have read these comments and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the comments, although carefully crafted, have an underlying tone of ridicule.

Anthony, I respect your decision to be an atheist and if I have said anything in this thread or past threads that indicate otherwise, I apologize as that is not my intent. By the same token, I hope you would go back and re-read some of your own posts regarding the subject past and present, place yourself in my shoes and understand where I'm coming from and be sensitive to how some of your words might be perceived by someone like me who embraces Christianity.

That is all I really have to say about the matter. Let bygones be bygones and we can move forward discussing things we agree on which is a love and passion for MEGOs.
                            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

This is not isolated to this particular thread.
                              It probably should be as there appears to be no underlying intent here.

The sarcastic remarks and comments have been a running theme anytime any slight reference to religion is discussed and many of those topics have long been pulled and are sitting in the archives or out in the ether.
                              Then you should either address it then or discuss it privately. One of the worse things we can do is make assumptions, hold it in and lash out later for what could be misinterpretation.

I and many others have read these comments and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the comments, although carefully crafted, have an underlying tone of ridicule.
                              Again, you can always be reading into it, perhaps not, you need to address them as they happen and privately, in this case there was no such activity and you look riled for no reason.

Anthony, I respect your decision to be an atheist and if I have said anything in this thread or past threads that indicate otherwise, I apologize as that is not my intent. By the same token, I hope you would go back and re-read some of your own posts regarding the subject past and present, place yourself in my shoes and understand where I'm coming from and be sensitive to how some of your words might be perceived by someone like me who embraces Christianity.
                              This is why we don't discuss religion here, people's beliefs are tied into their fiber and it is very easy to get upset or offended. I'm not knocking it, it's part of our makeup and I share that.

Best to privately discuss an issue like this as you see fit, you might be misconstruing issues he has with the groundcrew, not neccesarily the big guy. I hear people knock religious organizations all the time, doesn't mean they have a hate on for those with faith. Also, maybe he was castigated for those past remarks, it certainly isn't the case in this thread.

That is all I really have to say about the matter. Let bygones be bygones and we can move forward discussing things we agree on which is a love and passion for MEGOs.
                              I can't argue or debate that as it's solid.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ABMAC
                                User
                                • May 16, 2002

I apologize for my lack of sufficient craftiness. I'll attempt to conceal my underlying tone of ridicule better next time.

I understand that you feel threatened by me because I don't share your beliefs, and that you let your prejudice blind you so thoroughly that you perceived my correction of your factual error as an attack on your beliefs. I will not accept responsibility for your misperceptions.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎