X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocDrako
    Formerly Doc Drako
    • Nov 11, 2004

One of our Wal*Marts has them. I think they might be good for some 12" custom fodder, or maybe a photo story. I think my kid might even like them.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• RG
      Removed.
      • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by ABMAC
      Urban ninja cyborg Jesus still wouldn't sell without a movie, tv show, or video game tie-in.
      Well that might be, but the Jesus with water turing into wine powers would be a hit without out any tie-ins

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
      And how about Buddha and Muhammed et al?
      Oh I would so buy a Buddha And they could make Monks for the army building collector.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I've got a better idea. Why not release some GI Joe talkers with a biblical slant? "GI Joe reporting for acolyte duty sir!"

Comment

• brineb
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter custom, here I come!!!
          And you COULD pull it off!!!
          I also play with other dolls:
          http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

And how about Buddha and Muhammed et al?
            It is Forbidden to make or depict Images of Muhammad in the Islamic religion...you don't want to open the door there with an action figure.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I don't really grasp the concept of faith based action figures, there are plenty of toys and games that reflect positive family values without having to be overtly religious. I kind of think the Bible doesn't need a toy tie in.

When I play "guys" with my kids, nobody dies, everybody is a team player and are considerate towards one another, despite my involvement.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                I don't really grasp the concept of faith based action figures, there are plenty of toys and games that reflect positive family values without having to be overtly religious. I kind of think the Bible doesn't need a toy tie in.

When I play "guys" with my kids, nobody dies, everybody is a team player and are considerate towards one another, despite my involvement.
                I'm one that has never cared for the potrayal of Real Biblical figures as toys sorry just doesn't work for me especially making Jesus.I want my kids to have more reverance for my Lord and Savior than an action figure. If you're going to make a Jesus figure then where is Satan? Ooops right ya can't market that to kids......

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                  If you're going to make a Jesus figure then where is Satan? Ooops right ya can't market that to kids......
                  CTVT made a nice Demonic Devil, although I would've preferred a classic shirtless version with hairy goat-like legs and cloven hooves.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by ABMAC
                    CTVT made a nice Demonic Devil, although I would've preferred a classic shirtless version with hairy goat-like legs and cloven hooves.
                    Ah Yes with Horns and Kung-Fu grip with real Pitch fork action....... Darn CTVT sucks...

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                      Formerly known as Del
                      • Dec 12, 2004

There used to be a site that displayed custom figures of various religious icons as part of a fictional toy line. I can't find it anymore, but it was called something like "Jesus Christ Superstore." Either the YHWH/Yahweh or the Muhammad was just an empty box, either as a nod to the Islamic law, or the idea that YHWH can't be pronounced.

Here are some other Jesus and related action figures:
                      I have this one -- Archie McPhee Toys, Gifts & Novelties
                      http://www.trainupachild.com/

There are also the Mego-like Rainfall figures that were sold at Christian book stores, which I recall having seen up to a few years ago.

I thought the WalMart ones were going to be a little smaller, and that they would work as custom fodder for the inevitable clearance. Alas and also alack...
                      Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                      https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                      http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I remember seeing the Rainfall figures at our local Christian Bookstore. In the days before Doc Mego and CTVT, I so wanted to buy them for Mego parts, but the idea of destroying Biblical figures seemed wrong to me. I just couldn't do it.

I'm kind of disturbed by the whole religious figures thing too, I guess.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I remember seeing the Rainfall toys at a flea market in the 80's, even though they looked like Mego's (which I was actively collecting) the concept made me skiddish. The only time I got religious merch of any kind was the Marvel "The Pope" comic.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                            MeGoing
                            • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                            It is Forbidden to make or depict Images of Muhammad in the Islamic religion...you don't want to open the door there with an action figure.
                            Duh, how silly of me...how could I forget them blowing up those thousands of years old immense stone carvings?

Comment

• ABMAC
                              User
                              • May 16, 2002

Duh, how silly of me...how could I forget them blowing up those thousands of years old immense stone carvings?
                              He was only born about 1437 years ago, so maybe they were depictions of Allah, as well.

Comment

• Adam West
                                Museum CPA
                                • Apr 14, 2003

I agree the whole religious action figure line is lame and will not appeal to mainstream Christians.

How is a kid going to play with a David w/slingshot figure along with Goliath as an alternative to non-violent action figure play?

Stand on either side of the Israel/Palestine playmat and argue over land rights in a diplomatic way?
                                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎