X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

Venkman does indeed suck. Dang It!

Disappointment. That's about the best word I can thiink of when it comes to this toy. disregarding any MSRP or secondary makret price here's my take...

When I first got him I was all giddy for a couple seconds. I love the ghostbusters franchise, film and animation both, moving... I quickly noticed that Peter is wearing black hero boots instead of work/combat boots. Come on Mattel cutting corners already?

Next thing to urk me is the voice box. It's not the guy. I know that fellows dead but seriouly why even bother putting in a voice box when the voice is completely wrong? IMO they should have just sampled audio from the old cartoon. This flaw made me really reconsider reselling it.

After giving it a couple days to grow on me I decided to go ahead and free him from the plastic containment cell. If I was gonna resell it I don't think the loose/ carded factor really matters all that much. I shoulda stopped myself.

Upon taking Peter off the card (what does the whole "Adult Collector" mean anyway?) I was immediatly disappointed furthur. As mentiond before his legs are looser that my first wife, and believe me that's loose.

Add to that the hero boots look even funnier out of the package because when displayed. It looks like the Doctor is wearing a highwater jumpsuit. Seriously if Mattel is reall going to make all four of the GB's would it kill them to make proper footwear?

On a high note, the proton pack is cool and he can hold it okay and the head sculpt is dead on to the cartoon.

So there's my two cents. Being a Re-Mego I do like it but if asked on whether or not to purchas I would have to recommend that folks wait until they can get 'em really cheap. And by cheap I mean $5 with either free or $3 shipping.
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

When Did Bill Murry Die ?
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight
      When Did Bill Murry Die ?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeUswA8xPY
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

Bill Murray didn't do the voice for the cartoon. I can't remember the guys name at the moment (and to lazy to google) but he did all of the Bill Murray sound alike stuff back iin the day

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
          To Fear is Not Logical...
          • Feb 17, 2008

Lorenzo Music - He was the voice of Garfield (ironically) in the TV cartoon and also Carlton Your Doorman on Rhoda
          It's all good!

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

The hero boots and the voice wouldn't bother me, but the loose legs is obviously a huge problem
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• david_b
              Never had enough toys..
              • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
              Lorenzo Music - He was the voice of Garfield (ironically) in the TV cartoon and also Carlton Your Doorman on Rhoda
              He has SUCH a great voice for animation.. ALWAYS loved it.
              Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Tothiro
                Kitten Mittens
                • Aug 28, 2008

I knew there were two voice actors for Venkman in the series... I remembered Music but I had to google who the other was - Dave Coulier... aka "Uncle Joey" from the I-wish-I-could-scrub-it-from-the-cultural-lexicon, Full House.

Fun Fact: "He was previously involved with Alanis Morissette, but they broke up shortly before she recorded her album, Jagged Little Pill. In fact, in a 2008 interview to the Calgary Sun, Coulier admitted to being her ex-boyfriend portrayed in the song You Oughta Know."

Fun Fact 2-for-1: Winston was initially voiced by Arsenio Hall. I wonder if Mattel got him back?

Anyway All of the OP points are valid.
                I still bought two, swapped the boots to black AJ combats and the bodies to T2. Eventually I'll change the heads out for movie style. I will wait until they go on sale to finish the suit collecting for the rest of the team though.

Comment

• spamn
                  Minty and All-Original!
                  • Mar 28, 2002

Simpsons toys aside - speaking toys are rarely the same voice as the actor. You think the voice chip in the Iron Man toys is Robert Downey Jr, do ya?

Comment

• GUYx1
                    FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                    • Apr 20, 2005

I admit it COULD be better. But this was a show exclusive.

Mego fans have gone crazy for a Resin Eyeball thrown in with a Dr Evil, or a generic brown Doc Mego Suit thrown in with a GAH figure.

The voice is painful, the short 'manta' boots not great (but they are better than famous covers boots) and the lack of a black shirt annoying.
                    BUT all the figures could use a bit of work.
                    I am happy to have all these figures one way or another.

Sure The Monarch is not skinny enough and Brock is even a bit Short,
                    but what can ya do?
                    As can be clearly seen my my photo, I would never question the designs of these toys and would never EVER want to tweak them to fit my own vision...

I'm just happy they got released.
                    Cheers,
                    Guyx1

Comment

• Cmonster
                      Banned
                      • Feb 6, 2010

How much are they?

SC

Comment

• TEXASFETT
                        #1 Bounty Hunter
                        • Aug 29, 2008

Originally posted by Cmonster
                        How much are they?

SC
                        $30 shipped to your door

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

One word .... Junk ... like every other Mattel retro figure

Comment

• johnmiic
                            Adrift
                            • Sep 6, 2002

This was an exclusive-why? What is different in this Venkman figure form what the normal release will have? Or is this the only Venkmann they are ever releasing?

Comment

• David Lee
                              The Fix-it-up Chappie
                              • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by GUYx1
                              Mego fans have gone crazy for a Resin Eyeball thrown in with a Dr Evil...
                              That Eyeball was SPECTACULAR!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎