• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: The Dukes of Hazzard

Dukes of Hazzard" by Modern Publications
    I'm going to preface today's CBT with the confession that I have little to no nostalgia for Dukes of Hazzard. I don't hate it or think people who like it are dumb, I just don't really dig it.

My fondest memory of the show is it became the subject of my first "dick move" as a child. When it first aired, my friend Neil and I began discussing it with another kid on the block who could be best described as "uptight". We went on about how cool it was, how he was missing out blah blah blah.

About a month later he came running up to us saying he'd seen the Dukes and loved it. I simply said "That shows for babies" and went on about KISS records or something. If you're reading this Michael, I apologize, trust me when I say I got paid back in spades for that one.

Anyway, you might have noticed the price on this sucker, $7.95 is pretty steap for a colouring book now, let alone 1980 but I want to preface this thing is thicker than my local phone book. Let's take a look at the surprising insides after the jump.

This is probably the nicest illustrated colouring book I've ever seen, who ever did this was a real pro at capturing likeness.

The plot of this book is actually on the same level as an actual episode of the show, actually there may be more dialogue in this book. The Dukes help out some new family and have an (uh oh) run in with the local authorities

Here young Jack has a little quality time in the wood shed. Hey, who am I to judge?

As one might imagine, the book is filled with page after page of car chase stuff like this. It's well drawn and likely culled from stills. We sure did like our southern culture in the 1970s.

Roscoe P Coltrane has three arms, this is the sole flaw I found about this well rendered book which I consider a pallet cleanse from last time. It's so nice that my children have demanded it, it would be rather ironic if they ended up life long fans as a result.

Previously reviewed Colouring Books
    If you have a colouring book you'd like to guest review, I'd like to hear from you!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

I didn't get into Dukes until the 80s when I used to babysit a kid who LOVED the show! It was OK, kinda funny. John Schnieder was a cutie.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Loved the Dukes as a kid, and still have a fondness for it today. My grandfather watched it too, and we liked to discuss each week's episode when we saw each other.

I have another, thinner Dukes coloring book somewhere. I'm not sure how the art is. That drawing of Catherine Bach above has to be the best coloring book drawing ever.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Pretty darn good drawings.
        But Roscoe having 3 arms, no wonder the Dukes are laughing their asses off
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I haven't seen this book in years and years. It's funny how when you see the drawings again, after so much time, that you remember them.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Hated the Dukes when they first aired....it was counter-programmed against the Rockford Files if I recall....started watching them when it went in to reruns
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

If I remember correctly, this colouring book came with crayons and one of those dip dot type paint sets....might explain the price.

I loved the show. I grew up in an environment that was a lot like the show in many ways (including the equivalent small town sheriff like Roscoe that everybody called Liberty Valance because the darn fool was so afraid of the rest of us that he always had his gun drawn.)--so I guess it was natural to like it.......didnt have a 69 Charger though
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

What's the photo that is "suitable for framing" on the back cover?
                It's all good!

Comment

• Evel KMego
                  Museum Daredevil
                  • Apr 26, 2006

I love it! I had a bunch of Dukes coloring/activity books as a kid, but not this one. I loved the Dukes as a kid. I can see how the "southern/backwoods" feel would not appeal to some, but how cool is jumping over creeks in a muscle car to a 9 year old boy?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎