Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Soul doesn't like Starsky & Hutch Remake!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

David Soul doesn't like Starsky & Hutch Remake!

Wow! I went to David Soul's blog this morning and he is going wild about how he hated the Starsky and Hutch movie remake and he was basically tricked into making an appearance. Apparently he and Paul Michael Glaser had an original script and it was turned into a comedy. I think I would have liked to seen the movie David Soul talks about over that garbage comedy.

Looks like David Soul isn't a happy camper about the...
    Well, just read it. I can't post it here because there are some offensive words in it.

Myspace.com Blogs:david soul MySpace Blog
    Last edited by Cosmicman; Oct 5, '07, 10:08 AM.
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Didn't read the blog but I agree with Soul....that movie was crap on a stick.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I wasn't gonna pay good money to see this, the previews were awful!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

well, considering that, to me, all S&H is, is a distant memory of a kinda solemn/kinda
        generic 70s cop show that I had more interaction with on the playground than on TV,
        and that I am also a Ben Stiller fan----well, it don't take rocket science to know that
        I'll always take the movie over the show for entertainment value---I'll have to read that
        blog sometime tho, as the cameos were pretty cool and I'd like to see some more insight
        on them, positive OR negative
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

As someone who only vaguely remembers the original show, and hasn't watched a whole episode since it's original run, I liked the movie okay. Nothing I'd want to own or watch over and over, but it had its moments.

BUT, I was a big Dukes of Hazzard fan, and did not like the rauncy remake, so I know where you guys (and Soul) are coming from. Apparently none of the original Dukes cast thought much of it either, especially Ben (Cooter) Jones.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

I don't know what it's like to be these people, to have a project come along 30 years later that riffs on something that was a big part of your life, but to me as an outside observer, these 70s actors who gripe about remakes/reimaginings (Soul, old Starbuck commenting on the new Galactica) just come off as humorless self important bozos to me. I guess he felt duped making a cameo in a movie he didn't understand.

It was a piece of junk movie, but it had it's moments---It was a fairly creative modern hipster ironic remake of a 70's TV show. What do you think of when you think of Starsky and Hutch? The cool car, the weird 70's urban outfits, the posey cops sliding across car hoods and jumping across rooftops. A funky soundtrack, a cool pimp character....What are you going to do, make a serious drama? I think the choices the movie made as a parody were pretty much spot on, but it suffered from the usual Hollywood sloppyness in the story.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

As a stand alone movie, it was funny enough.

To fans of the TV show (I like the show but I mean a fan who has followed the show and keeps in touch with other fans) it must've been a slap in the face.

I can't really blame David Soul for being angry since he, like the fans, have an emotional investment in the characters.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• starsky
                veteran member
                • Aug 26, 2007

i'm a huge fan of the original starsky and hutch television show. i agree that the movie flat out stunk! however, it did bring starsky and hutch back in the spotlight. i personally didnt care for the characters, i really love the car and i enjoyed seeing the original actors ,though briefly, on the big screen.

i can see where david's gripe is coming from. he and paul really put a lot of effort into taking their characters to a deeper realm, considered by many to be groundbreaking for television drama during that period. they really wanted to show how their relationship went beyond from just being two cops to the point where they were 2 genuine human beings who truly cared for each other.

so for him and paul to see how they were portrayed in the new movie was like taking their masterpiece and just ripping it to shreds.

just my 2cents,

darren

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  Alan Scott is the best GL
                  • Aug 8, 2007

I saw iton tbs one weekend. Almost every show from my youth has been reimagined or remade and I havn't cared for any of them Whether the modern retell or the nostalgic joke
                  the SWAT movie - TJ is the bad guy Say it aint so
                  Dragnet the movie - AWFUl and I like Tom Hanks
                  Battlestar galactica - DESPISE the new one gave it the whole first season and didn't even care to find out how the cliffhanger ended in season 2
                  Miami Vice - one must ask WHY bother
                  Bionic woman - haven't made up my mind yet but I am not impressed so far
                  Bionic man - JAke 2.0 was a remake whether they admit it or not
                  Starksy & hutch - love the car but If I was David soul I would be livid with their lack of originality. Say what you like Don't Give up on us Baby was a #1 hit and still gets airplay on easy listening. it would have been better to do a Last Action Hero/Autin powers style fish out of water and take the 70's cops and put them in today. Ben Stiller has alot more acting chops for comedy than this thing showed

At this point I figure there has to be an Adam 12 or emergency film in the pipeline where the partners are a couple (whether hetero with one as a female or gay)

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

With our disposable society, most of the remakes simply go away on their own but briefly give some attention to the original.

I'm a tremendous fan of Logan's Run, the movie remake could be directed by Ule Bowle for all i care, I'll probably get a special edition DVD of the movie and tv series out of the deal and I'll be happy.

Although I'll admit, the S&H movie wasn't a great comedy.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• batmanmc
                      mego batman collector
                      • Jun 22, 2004

much like the dukes of hazard movie the oly good things were the cars and the girls. the movies themselves were bad.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                        Career Member
                        • May 14, 2007

I watched the Starsky and Hutch movie and thought it was okay but some of the jokes fell flat.
                        Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

I don't know about comparing the DOH movie to S&H in terms of "suckage"

Just the presence of Stiller and Wilson kinda blow away
                          the guy from Jacka*** and the American Pie guy----for that alone S&H deserves
                          the edge over DOH
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                            MeGoing
                            • May 14, 2003

I must admit, I was pretty disappointed with the movie...

Comment

• Cosmicman
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                              Never saw it, never will. I liked the original show but the comedy remake turned me off.
                              The new actors resembled the originals quite well. I would have been more apt to see a serious remake or at least rent it.
                              Um. I don't remember David Soul having a big old crooked snout and wining all of his lines like a four year old? Owen Wilson was nothing and will never be David Soul. Bad comparison.
                              Ben Stiller, don't get me started. You could not have picked two actors that didn't have anything to do with the looks department or come close to the originals.

Sorry for venting. David and Paul were my childhood heroes.
                              It would be like some goofball trying to resurrect the Adam West, Burt Ward idea of Batman. Trying to get some actors to look like Adam West and Burt Ward and then....well you get the idea.
                              Last edited by Cosmicman; Oct 7, '07, 10:07 AM.
                              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎