Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Only thing, when driving in "Dutch County" you have to always mind the horse and buggies --- as to not spook the horses.

Best thing is to keep your speed under 35 when passing them and stay way over in the left lane (when passing)

Comment

• Duncan
      Museum focus-groupie
      • Jun 27, 2009

OK, so I think we're going to try Dutch Wonderland on this trip. My wife took the heathens, er, kids to Magic Mountain today, and said she almost had to Taser them because they couldn't stand to wait in line a few minutes when trading in their tickets for prizes. Now, I'll just need to get my hands on a shoo-fly pie, and the experience will be complete.

On an unrelated note, I just got my hands on some fresh lamb from the Ohio State Fair, and I'm going to throw a big leg chop on the grill.
      Last edited by Duncan; Aug 9, '10, 7:37 PM.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

For restaurants, we like the restaurant in Bird-in-hand, PA and I think the restaurant goes by the same name. It is really good down home Lancaster style food with Amish influence. I even remember seeing Amish people eating there.

If you get a chance, it is really interesting to drive back through the Amish section of Lancaster and see that they really do live in a time and era that you can't explain. Sometimes when you see them around town, it almost feels like it's some sort of act or tourist thing (and maybe it is to some) but there really are people that live without electricity, use horses to plow farms, etc....by choice.

And then there is the obligatory visit to nearby Intercourse, PA so you can pick up a souvenir like a T-shirt that says "I love Intercourse......PA"
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎