Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dutch Wonderland or Hershey Park?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Edited to add: Just be glad that Hershey took over Dutch Wonderland, because when I was a kid, it was the lamest, most broken-down theme park I'd ever seen.
    Yeah, that's why I'm looking for input. The last time I was there was circa 1975. I remember this cow statue with a rubber udder that you could supposedly milk , but I guess nobody bothered to fill the cow with 'milk' that day (or any other). I didn't know that Hsy took them over, but I'm glad to hear it.

Images
    If you don't mind driving a little further Dorney Park is in Allentown
    .................................................. .......................

We get season passes to Hershey Park every year as we are only 10 minutes away. We usually go one night a week just to walk around and eat supper. In fact, I think my wife talked about going there tonight. If you like BBQ food, there is a great place in the "valley" of the park right next to the Trail Blazer rollercoaster. Best food in the park. It's down the hill from the Storm Runner.

If your kids are no strangers to amusement parks, you definitely want to do HP. They will most likely find Dutch Wonderland very lame. Plus, as mentioned, the water park area is good. If you are really into waterparks, Dorney Park/Wild Water Kingdom has a much better water park, but the amusement park part of it isn't as good as Hershey.

The only reason I remember Dutch wonderland is that in the early 80's on a family trip, I found some amazing 1970's made rubber jigglers still for sale in their gift shop

though two attractions still ring a bell-- the litte red school house that spun around and some mock spaceship set up (you went inside this thing with a few other people) with a film that they projected on the inside of this ship to try and trick you into thinking you were really flying (unless that was at Hershey?)
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meule View Post
    There's a park called Dutch Wonderland?
    The Pennsylvania Dutch is just a generic name for the Amish. I'm sure there are many on here that no a lot more than me but I understand that there are various sects within the Amish communities but in the movies the stereotype is the horse and buggy, no electricity, Abraham looking. It is strange that they dress as though it was the 1700's but I find them to be friendly and generally not as conservative as portrayed on film.

The Amish actually came from Germany....not the Netherlands. When trying to talk to what they call the rest of us (the English), they explained Deutsch which was misinterpreted as Dutch. Many of them do speak German to one another and some of them do have German accents even though they have lived their entire lives in the U.S.

Regading Dutch Wonderland and Hershey Park. Dutch Wonderland is a smaller park and does cater to younger children but I definitely appropriate for a 5 and 8 year old. On the plus side, the park doesn't get super crowded so not long waits for rides. They also have some entertaining shows. They don't have any big thill ride roller coasters like Hershey Park but Hershey Park gets super crowded and you can wait a good hour plus just to ride one ride. I also like that Dutch Wonderland has a lot of shaded areas. My opinion is that it is a hidden treasure (especially for younger kids). Hershey gets all the hype and all the visitors. I have never encountered long lines at Dutch Wonderland and although there won't be any big roller coasters, the rides are nice and I like it because of the smaller wait times.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Images
    Only thing, when driving in "Dutch County" you have to always mind the horse and buggies --- as to not spook the horses.

Best thing is to keep your speed under 35 when passing them and stay way over in the left lane (when passing)
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    OK, so I think we're going to try Dutch Wonderland on this trip. My wife took the heathens, er, kids to Magic Mountain today, and said she almost had to Taser them because they couldn't stand to wait in line a few minutes when trading in their tickets for prizes. Now, I'll just need to get my hands on a shoo-fly pie, and the experience will be complete.

On an unrelated note, I just got my hands on some fresh lamb from the Ohio State Fair, and I'm going to throw a big leg chop on the grill.
    Last edited by Duncan; Aug 9, '10 at 7:37 PM.

Images
    For restaurants, we like the restaurant in Bird-in-hand, PA and I think the restaurant goes by the same name. It is really good down home Lancaster style food with Amish influence. I even remember seeing Amish people eating there.

If you get a chance, it is really interesting to drive back through the Amish section of Lancaster and see that they really do live in a time and era that you can't explain. Sometimes when you see them around town, it almost feels like it's some sort of act or tourist thing (and maybe it is to some) but there really are people that live without electricity, use horses to plow farms, etc....by choice.

And then there is the obligatory visit to nearby Intercourse, PA so you can pick up a souvenir like a T-shirt that says "I love Intercourse......PA"
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty