X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
    Has there been a Hollywood Horror remake that has surpassed the original foreign film it was based on?

Specifically in horror genre I actually thought "The Ring" was an improvement. The imagery of the video within the movie was more interesting. The characters were more well written and I thought the acting was a lot better.

But it's true, usually these kinds of remakes are terrible. Off the top of my head I think the worst horror remake I can think of was for "The Vanishing" in which they actually took a great movie and completely altered the meaning of it. Shameful.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

To be fair it's not unusual for foreign movies to swipe from American films too. I thought "Jian Gui" (The Eye) was a shameful rip-off of "The Mothman Prophecies". I haven't seen the remake of that one yet, and I wonder if they changed it at all.

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by Brazoo
        To be fair it's not unusual for foreign movies to swipe from American films too. I thought "Jian Gui" (The Eye) was a shameful rip-off of "The Mothman Prophecies". I haven't seen the remake of that one yet, and I wonder if they changed it at all.
        Oh this is quite common.
        My partner went over to India several times for work and would tell me the movies that would play on TV. All unsubbed and since she doesn't speak or read Hindi, she new what the plot was about and many were counterparts to american movies like "There's Something About Mary" which is done in Bollywood style. Even dramas as well.

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

I'll give the American version a chance, but it's got it's work cut out for it, as the original was very, very, good.

Never understood the problem some folks have with reading subtitles - hey, I can't stand dubbed anime, and subtitles with the original Japanese soundtrack is the only way to go, IMO. Still, different strokes and all that...
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Doc
            Banned
            • May 9, 2010

Originally posted by MegoScott
            It snows a lot on the New Mexico mountains where it's set. The trailer is snowy.
            OK let me rephrase that I see it better in Sweden. Sort of 30 days of nightish its always dark and cold there most of the year. I just dont think of New Mexico as prime vampire territory even in the mountains

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by ealdrett
              Oh this is quite common.
              My partner went over to India several times for work and would tell me the movies that would play on TV. All unsubbed and since she doesn't speak or read Hindi, she new what the plot was about and many were counterparts to american movies like "There's Something About Mary" which is done in Bollywood style. Even dramas as well.
              Haha - I'm pretty sure my girlfriend told me about that one - she LOVES Indian movies.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                Career Member
                • May 13, 2007

Yes, there are subtitles but you certainly will capture the essence and feel of the movie.
                There are 2 differently subtitled versions of Let the Right One In that have been released here in the US. The DVD distributor had new simplified subtitles done which altered the interpretation/perception of many scenes. After those who had seen the film theatrically complained about the change, the distributor restored the superior theatrical subtitles in later pressings of the DVD. Look on the back, in the lower left corner it should say: Subtitles: English (theatrical) for the more thoughtful translations.

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

Isn't the vampire in this one played by the girl that played Hit Girl?

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                    Career Member
                    • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by mego73
                    Isn't the vampire in this one played by the girl that played Hit Girl?
                    In the US version, yes. Chloe Moritz (spelled wrong I'm sure)

Comment

• gootie29
                      • Mar 8, 2010

I'm a nube but I gotta chime in here...
                      I love the original. It is probably one of my all time favorite movies, horror or otherwise. I loved it so much I bought the book it was based on,"Let Me In". The original deviates from the book a bit, minor stuff mostly but there is a major difference in Eli the vampire. I don't want to give anything away but it seems like the American version may have gone even further from the source material than the Swedish one did. Having said that, I am still going to see it when it comes out because I think it will stand on it's own merit. At least I hope it will!

Comment

• Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002

I'm hoping they do this movie right. The original was so unique.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

I must not have seen the revamped version. My partner saw it when it came out here at SIFF and later we rented it on DVD. It was the exact same according to her.
                          Good to know and don't like dumb down versions of movies.

Originally posted by StrangeVisitor
                          There are 2 differently subtitled versions of Let the Right One In that have been released here in the US. The DVD distributor had new simplified subtitles done which altered the interpretation/perception of many scenes. After those who had seen the film theatrically complained about the change, the distributor restored the superior theatrical subtitles in later pressings of the DVD. Look on the back, in the lower left corner it should say: Subtitles: English (theatrical) for the more thoughtful translations.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                            Career Member
                            • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by gootie29
                            ...but there is a major difference in Eli the vampire. I don't want to give anything away but it seems like the American version may have gone even further from the source material than the Swedish one did.
                            I think that you're right and the US. version will play it safe with this aspect of Eli's character.

I must not have seen the revamped version. My partner saw it when it came out here at SIFF and later we rented it on DVD. It was the exact same according to her.
                            Good to know and don't like dumb down versions of movies.
                            If you'd like to check out the differences in the subtitles (theatrical vs original DVD pressing) see them here.

Comment

• unataper
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 8, 2007

Originally posted by Doc
                              I cant imagine it with out the snowy back drop. They should not have changed that.
                              I totally agree, without the blood splatters on the snow....there goes a lot of effect for me.
                              For the rules of the road have been lodged, it's peoples games you have to dodge- Bob Dylan

Comment

• Tothiro
                                Kitten Mittens
                                • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by Brazoo
                                Off the top of my head I think the worst horror remake I can think of was for "The Vanishing" in which they actually took a great movie and completely altered the meaning of it. Shameful.
                                I saw that just about the same time I saw Point of No Return. Both did major damage to my sense of hope for North American Cinema.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎