X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

"Let The Right One In" american version

Just came across the trailer for "Let Me In", the american remade version of "Let The Right On In".
    Seems they copied it verbatim but made it more edgier, or Hollywoodized it.
    Another great foreign movie destroyed by american cinema.

For those that don't know, the original is a Swedish thriller that did very well in film festival circuits a couple years back. No trailers to spoil the mystery.
    Do yourself a favor and skip the american version and rent the Swedish version. Yes, there are subtitles but you certainly will capture the essence and feel of the movie.
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

I'm a huge fan of the original, but I'm willing to give the American version a chance. With respect, what makes you say they've destroyed it if you haven't seen it? I understand the rant, but it seems a little knee-jerk to me. I've heard good buzz and liked the trailer myself.
    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

cool, i liked the original
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• vulcan2074
        Live Long and Prosper
        • Mar 23, 2008

Have yet to seen the original but it's on my to do list.
        Sammy

Comment

• Doc
          Banned
          • May 9, 2010

I ve just seent the clips of the Swedish one and I liked it. There was also a good zombie flick out called Dead snow. Sorry to say this but its not a knee jerk reaction it always seems American screws up when they remake a foriegn film. Look at all those sucky American remakes from those good Japanese horror films

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

The original was great - one of the best movies I saw that year actually.

It does look like they've copied a lot of the look and feel of the original - some of those shots looked nearly exact - from my memory. It's hard to tell if that crappy rock music and cliché music video cutting is just for the trailer or part of the style of the new film. It's also hard to tell if it takes place in the 80s like the first one seemed to.

The two kids in the first one were so good it's hard for me to imagine that lightning can strike twice. These new kids kinda do look appropriate though.

The title change is just weird. The original title was great - this new one only has one meaning. It's boring.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Has there been a Hollywood Horror remake that has surpassed the original foreign film it was based on?

Maybe the Grudge, but I see that as an extension of the original Director's vision since they pretty much went to Japan and let the original director and his production team shoot with American actors and a larger budget.

I'm a bit wary of the Hollywood remakes that presume an audience that is too lazy to read subtitles.

Not that many of them don't stand alone if you haven't seen the original, but when you think of The Ring, Dark Water, <rec>/Quarantine, etc as side by side comparisons, I've always generally found the original more effective.

From the trailer, I do feel a bit wary of Let Me In, given how creepy and disturbing I found Let the Right One In.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• megoscott
                Founding Partner
                • Nov 17, 2006

I'm rooting for it as a tonic to Twilight.

By the way, it is set in the 80's in a small New Mexico town.

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

Ive never heard of this movie? need to check into it

Comment

• Doc
                    Banned
                    • May 9, 2010

Originally posted by MegoScott
                    I'm rooting for it as a tonic to Twilight.

By the way, it is set in the 80's in a small New Mexico town.
                    I cant imagine it with out the snowy back drop. They should not have changed that.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

Scott,

Yes, I am ranting and I guess all us video editors here at work were in disbelief of a Hollywood attempt since the original was so enticing. The trailer has a more gore aspect with visual fright rather than the subtle psychological play with innocent love and fear of the unknown.
                      I know my partner won't watch it since she LOVED the original. I might watch it at a $3 theatre or get it free online.
                      Who knows. Maybe Richard Jenkins will do it justice.
                      Not holding my breath but will give it chance.
                      To ME, thriller/horror movies that are more cerebral and play with all nuances of the psyche are more fun because it lets me think about for a spell. I don't like movies that are spoon fed.

I'm a huge fan of the original, but I'm willing to give the American version a chance. With respect, what makes you say they've destroyed it if you haven't seen it? I understand the rant, but it seems a little knee-jerk to me. I've heard good buzz and liked the trailer myself.

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

Originally posted by Doc
                        I cant imagine it with out the snowy back drop. They should not have changed that.
                        It snows a lot on the New Mexico mountains where it's set. The trailer is snowy.

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

Originally posted by ealdrett
                          Scott,

Yes, I am ranting and I guess all us video editors here at work were in disbelief of a Hollywood attempt since the original was so enticing. The trailer has a more gore aspect with visual fright rather than the subtle psychological play with innocent love and fear of the unknown.
                          I know my partner won't watch it since she LOVED the original. I might watch it at a $3 theatre or get it free online.
                          Who knows. Maybe Richard Jenkins will do it justice.
                          Not holding my breath but will give it chance.
                          To ME, thriller/horror movies that are more cerebral and play with all nuances of the psyche are more fun because it lets me think about for a spell. I don't like movies that are spoon fed.

I hear ya. The original is amazing and should be respected. I'm excited about the American version, the cast is great, and it's a take on the vampire myth that deserves a wider showing than the foreign language film would get.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

Sure does and for those that haven't gone, I recommend it. It's gorgeous.

It snows a lot on the New Mexico mountains where it's set. The trailer is snowy.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                              SynthoRes Transmigrator
                              • Oct 24, 2007

I hear ya. The original is amazing and should be respected. I'm excited about the American version, the cast is great, and it's a take on the vampire myth that deserves a wider showing than the foreign language film would get.
                              Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎