Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I borrowed my sister's Charlie Angels as damsels in distress for my Mego WGSH. My sister also had a doll house I used as Wayne Manor. I was friends with twins, one boy and one girl, who lived up the street. The girl had the Barbie dream house and we used it in our WGSH play schemes. I never had any of the 8" Super Gals, since I came into the WGSH in the late 70s. I never even saw them in the store, only on the card art. I did get the 12" Wonder Woman for my birthday one year. I was embarassed to own it, so I chucked the doll somewhere and stole her coat and glasses for my Superman, so he could be Clark Kent.

In later years I of course had female characters from MOTU, GI Joe and the Super Powers Wonder Woman.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• chalwa
      Mego Philomath
      • Jun 8, 2007

Confessions of a mego doll collector

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I did get the 12" Wonder Woman for my birthday one year. I was embarassed to own it, so I chucked the doll somewhere and stole her coat and glasses for my Superman, so he could be Clark Kent.
      Chris
      OKAY, OKAY! I confess.
      I also had the 12" Wonder Woman and after my 1st cousin said it was a girl's doll, I passed it on to my niece. All my brothers are a lot older than me and my nephews and nieces are all around my age. Heck, I have 1 niece who is a year older than me!
      No one gave me a hard time about my RC Batgirl tho'. Seemed a fit with Batman. Wonder Woman was different. 12" tall and a force in her own right. No Wonder Man to hang on to.
      For some reason my psyche never brought damsels in distress to the fore. My megos all fought their way out of traps or detected or traveled to Africa. I had seen a lot of Weismuller Tarzan movies and loved the locale. Green Arrow was a big hit in the jungle, believe you me!
      Never had a mego Tarzan tho'. Never even saw one in person. Even to this day.

bestest,

Chris (of Earth-1?)
      Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
      The Misadventures of Captain Blog
      Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
      I shall be very proud and great.
      And tell the other girls and boys,
      not to meddle with my toys.
      -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• dumbldor
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 9, 2002

I read all the Nancy Drew novels after I ran out of Hardy Boys to read.

I never had any female characters as a kid, but I sure do own a lot now.

Comment

• DocDrako
          Formerly Doc Drako
          • Nov 11, 2004

I once illegally obtained a Mego Catwoman from my brother's birthday stash. Members from the previous board might remember the tale.

Also, when I was around 8 years old, some teenage girls down the street asked me if I had any play money. Of course I did. They offered to sell me a Barbie case containing Barbie and Skipper, as well as a bunch of clothes for all the play money I had. I accepted their offer.

My GI Joes had family now, but one day I caught my cousin Donald in the bathroom with Skipper. Let's just say he was being inappropriate. I got so mad that I cut off all of Skipper's hair and threw her under the sink. She remained under the sink for about 4 months until my mom threw her away. Barbie soon faded into obscurity as she wasn't allowed on GI Joe missions.

In the 90's I customized some Barbies into female members of the GI Joe RAH team. They were great stand-ins for my 12" GI Joe display.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• MegoGeek
            From The Black Lagoon
            • Jun 27, 2001

I was terrified of dolls of girls when I was little.

I remember a mego figure hunt I went on with my Mother and older sister at a Dept. store when I was about five.

I was looking for some superheroes and my sister found a Supergirl that had been ripped from it's box and had 1 breast exposed(no doubt by some curious young boy.) She thrust the figure within a few inches of my face and and exclaimed "HOW ABOUT THIS ONE!!"

Terrified, I cringed, pulled back and whined, "Nooooooooooo!"

A few short years later I clearly remember sitting in front of a large 12 back SW display near the checkouts of my local hardware store.

I had gotten almost all the 12 backs by that time missing only the late released Tusken Raider, Jawa, Death Squad Commander and....(gulp)Princess Leia, who was totally common.

I agonized at the display staring at the girlie figure of Leia. My Mom finally came back up to the register and told me to hurry up and pick one. In one shining moment of manhood I grabbed the Leia and slapped it on the counter.....I then grabbed a Sand Person and threw it on top to cover the Leia.

The rest is history.
            ______
            ChArLiE

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

When I was little I had Bionic Woman, Fembot, Princess Leia, Uhura and Wonder Woman. In my teens I started collecting Jem and a few Barbies here and there I thought were cool.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

I was given a Malibu Barbie ... the greatest joy she ever gave me was knowing how much my sister wanted her. (She eventually got her for her own kids many years later). Apart from that...does cutting my sister's Growing hair someone or other's hair count? Or how about feeding her Baby Alive with dirt? Perhaps surprisingly, my sister and I are great friends now.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎