X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cast-a-Way Toys
    Museum Patron
    • Apr 15, 2010

The joys of being a small business...

In the midst of all the SDCC celebrations going on, we've just received some bad news regarding our shipment of figures. Actually, more annoying than bad, but nevertheless (skip to paragraph 5 if you don't want the backstory)...

The factory completed our order over a month ago. At that point, the factory shipped our order to a warehouse in preparation for loading it onto a boat for the long journey to the US. Our factory rep is required to fill out the paperwork (customs, bills of lading, etc) to ensure everything arrives as it should. He supplies information from that paperwork to us so that when the shipment arrives in the US we can claim it as ours, receive it and get to the fun task of selling it to our customers (did I mention we've already paid in full for the entire shipment... including expedited shipping... months ago?).

Almost daily since our order was completed (again... over a month ago) we have been asking our rep to supply us with the information from the shipping paperwork. We also asked that a small shipment of samples be overnighted to us for display at SDCC. We received our samples last Tuesday and shipped them to San Diego the next day. Around that same time, we learned that our factory rep had been in the hospital for several weeks. That explains the lack of response. BUT, knowing that we received our samples... we assumed the bulk of our shipment was proceeding as planned.

Here's where the phrase "never ASSUME anything" comes into play.

This morning we received an email from a friend of our factory rep that said A) our rep is still in the hospital and things are not looking good, and B) our order is still sitting in the warehouse in China waiting to be shipped because the required paperwork was never submitted.

so... long story short. Our shipment has been delayed again. We have implemented a work around strategy to get this issue taken care of as soon as possible (oh yeah, here's another one... China only ships our products on Wednesdays. So if we don't get this fixed by Monday, it adds another week onto the process. But I digress...). So hang tight. Once the product hits the water it takes 4-6 weeks for it to arrive. We appreciate your patience. No one is more frustrated in this than we are.

why tell you all this? easy. In the past we've been accused of not communicating enough with our customers. We don't want to do that anymore.

Although this is not good news, we feel it's more important to let you know. And on the bright side, based on the samples we received this past week... our stuff is incredible. If you guys can hang in there a little longer... you'll see for yourselves.
    Last edited by Cast-a-Way Toys; Jul 24, '10, 12:10 PM.
    Cast-a-Way Toys
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks for the head's up. I hope your sales rep pulls through! If it helps you to feel any better, what I've seen is certainly worth the wait. When they hit our shores, I'll be ready to funnel my cash your way. I wish your sales rep all the best!

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

thanks. we're really concerned about him too. I guess he was out for a day or so and then immediately went back in.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• AAAAA
        Permanent Member
        • Oct 28, 2005

I love paper work!

Comment

• boss
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 18, 2003

part of the problem is that we've never even seen this paperwork before. we were always just fed a few bits of information off of it (what we needed to know in order to claim the shipment once it arrived in the US). frustrating to say the least.

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by boss
            part of the problem is that we've never even seen this paperwork before. we were always just fed a few bits of information off of it (what we needed to know in order to claim the shipment once it arrived in the US). frustrating to say the least.
            you don't get copies of it?

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

no sir.

edit... actually let me rephrase. What we've received in the past does not contain the information we would need to generate new paperwork specific to this order.
              Last edited by boss; Jul 24, '10, 1:20 PM.

Comment

• AAAAA
                Permanent Member
                • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by boss
                no sir.

Comment

• frankie_1983
                  Museum Patron
                  • May 19, 2010

so how lond do you think ? 7-8 weeks?
                  Flickr: frankie_1983's Photostream

Comment

• boss
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 18, 2003

unfortunately there is no point in guessing. Until we have confirmation that our shipment is on the water, we won't know.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Thanks guys and kudos. I think this kind of transparency really helps folks around these parts see you guys as more than just a "faceless company".

The communication level is very much appreciated. The fact that you learn and evolve from the past bodes well for the future of Cast-a-Way!
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

All I can say is... CAW's Product is "worth the wait"!
                        sigpic

Comment

• livnxxxl
                          Megoholic RocketScientist
                          • Oct 23, 2007

Thank you for the communication being it good, bad or impartial. Some communication is better than nothing at all. Too bad others do not learn from this and practice these methods better. At least now we know something.

That really sucks about your rep. I do hope that all is well with him health wise.

It kind of surprises me that there seems like there is only one person in the world that can do his job from the way things sound. What would happen in the unlikely event that he would really have some serious issues and he would have to be out for a long time? Is there a plan B? Is there some one else that can take over as to not hold anything up? Just curious as I am trying to help you guys avoid any future headaches down the road.
                          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Jerry68
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 12, 2008

Perhaps you can contact the factory and have your product air shipped because of the issues. This action results in lost sales to your company and they should have had someone else make sure your shipent was processed. This happens in my line of work also.
                            sigpic

Comment

• starsky
                              veteran member
                              • Aug 26, 2007

i've hard doing business in china mainly bec one's not there to make sure everything goes right.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎