X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

CTVT Beats out Mattel?!?!?!

Shocking headline ay? But seriously... My son (9) has not really cared all that much about dad's affection for Mego's. He does think it's kinda cool that Dad plays with toys but, the action figures don't really do it for him, until...

Night before last (he's visiting for a few weeks) he spotted the CTVT reissues of the knights that I've been acquiring lately. He says, wow those are cool! I say, "So you wanna play with them?" To which he says "YES!"

Within a matter of moments we're embarking on a journey through the "World of Warcraft". He stops and says, "Wait, we need a Mage". So he grabs my bag-o-pieces and starts slapping together a Mage figure made up of a Fonzie head, Space 1999 cloak, Arthur's belt and amulet (gotta have a magical amulet right?) and wah lah! My son is a customizer. From here he decided it was time to mix and match to make better fighters for the campaign. Heads are popping, accessories and suits are getting swapped and I'm loving it. Just like dear old dad.

Flash forward to last night... a cousin of his comes over and they start playing with the CTVT Mego's. The pair came looking to see if I had any other bits and pieces at which time the cousin eyeballs the loose Mattel heroes on the shelf and I say, "You wanna play with those?" He says, "Uh okay". Not seeing much enthusiasm I handed them Lex, Superman and Green Arrow for their adventures. About ten minutes later I go to see how it's going (plus I had found a couple boxed CTVT Friar Tucks I was going to give each of them to use as fodder) and was a little sad.

The adventures were continuing but Supes and Lex were left out of the picture. GA was a part of the action mainly because of his Bow and Boxing Glove Arrow. After handing each of them a Friar Tuck their eye's lit up and the good Friar joined in the fray.

By the end of the session even Green Arrow was cast aside. The inability to switch out arrows seemed to be the deal breaker. Anyway the coolest thing outside of all the other cool things I saw them creating with their imaginations was that when they were done, both of them carefully boxed Tuck back up making sure all of his accessories were safe and secure in the box. They genuinely cared about that fat bodied shelf warmer!?! I was pleased.

So what does this mean in the grand scheme of things? I'm not totally sure but I have an opinion forming. Considering the nature of video games it seems that the most classic of characters have more appeal to the current generation of kids then the stuffy old superheroes of our day. Just a thought. Either way it goes I'm just glad that my son is finally seeing the fun that can come from Megos (or mego like toys) like his old man.
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Well, the Warcraft effect is certainly huge. I'd also say it's the mobility of the characters and accessories compared to the official Warcraft stuff which is, IIRC, McFarlanesque designs.

For CTVT, this would speak will for them if they cotinue to move into the build-a-figure realm. They've got the best pricepoint to try it.

Comment

• livnxxxl
      Megoholic RocketScientist
      • Oct 23, 2007

Neat story. Glad that the kiddies had fun. Thanks for sharing.
      Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Cool story
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Awesomeness! I like CTVT better than the new Mattel figures. Especially the Space:1999 and Munsters.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I think CTVT is here to stay as a build-a-figure company. Very economical. I recently put together everything I needed for a perfect Zorro replica and it came in UNDER $20.00. Now when you can do that and you actually beat the price points of a mass produced figure, that tells you plenty about how much Mattel is overpriced. Now this is not about loving or hating the product. This is just about getting what you want for the best price. With Wave Two seemingly slow to hit selves due to the backup of Wave One, we'll have to see what the availability looks like. I suspect we'll begin hearing stories of discounts across the country on Wave one figures.

Comment

• bgrimm77
              NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
              • Jan 4, 2009

What a great story!!
              WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

That's great. Even though I don't know squat about Warcraft, (and I probably would have wanted the superheroes to play with), it's nice to see that your son and nephew are playing w/ action figures as opposed to video games.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• VintageMike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2004

That's a great story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• torgospizza
                    Theocrat of Pan Tang
                    • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
                    I think CTVT is here to stay as a build-a-figure company. Very economical. I recently put together everything I needed for a perfect Zorro replica and it came in UNDER $20.00.
                    Do you mind listing your recipe here or in a PM for me? I saw the Zorro head there last night and thought about doing this, but wasn't sure what other parts were needed, precisely. Thanks!

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

Nice story. It shows that kids today not only have imagination, they also have great taste in toys! LOL!

To me, I think it's more fun to put a figure together yourself, and imagine a backstory for him/her, than to buy a prepackaged one, and have to deal with whatever accessories it does or doesn't come with.

Don't get me wrong. I like superheroes, and I'm glad that they made the retro line. I just wish that they had paid better attention to the construction of the bodies than the cutesy packaging.
                      JediJaida

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

World of Warcraft Megos! Who'da thought eh?

Given the popularity of custom culture out there right now, I think this is the perfect opportunity to hook kids. It's much easier to make your own economical figure out of the new ReMego stuff.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                          To Fear is Not Logical...
                          • Feb 17, 2008

Cool Story. Funny thing is that my kids right now would be the total opposite. They would go with the fully assembled superhero. How old are they? Mine are 7 and 5.
                          It's all good!

Comment

• jimsmegos
                            Mego Dork
                            • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                            Cool Story. Funny thing is that my kids right now would be the total opposite. They would go with the fully assembled superhero. How old are they? Mine are 7 and 5.
                            You might be surprised My son is 9 and his cousin is 6. For a fun suprise "prize" you culd pick up a set on the cheap from everybody's buddy Vini and give it a shot. Victory Media items - Get great deals on Documentaries, history channel items on eBay Stores!

He's also selling all of the CTVT reissues for $4.99 loose now including the Wyatt Earp, Blackbeard and Robin Hood which are normally a few bucks more. Also to note his shipping is always fair and reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎