Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toystalker
    none
    • Mar 27, 2008

i think its safe to say that we have all encountered different situations with different actors actresses...

someone mentioned anthony daniels... charming? very nice chap? when i met him he was a stuck up *****, didnt have any time for me spoke to me like dirt and was very stern

carrie fisher... did not even raise her head to acknoledge my existance, very bitter

henry winkler... one of the rudest i ever met, never spoke to me and would not have a pic with me, had a poker face on the whole time, very miserable man

dave prowse...
    1st time i met dave i was 5 or 6 years old, he was the green x code man, if your not sure what that is, it was a road saftey campaign and he came to my school and met all the kids, taught us how to cross the road safe and was great fun, since then ive met him like 10-15 times, hes a nice enough guy, always been a bit dim, hes from bristol! LOL, always got a smile on his face, i know the back round to why hes bitter, and i have heard stories that he has been very bitter to some folks... im supprised but not sure that no one mentioned about the fact that he gave away the plot line of the "im your father" story line live on air BEFORE the movie had come out, this is one of the main reason that lucus refusses to have anything to do with him, not because he turns his back on punters or wont sign certain ways... its because the guys always been a few slices short of a loaf! he gave away the plot and lucas has never forgiven him

saw dave not so long back and he was his happy self, he goes to the opening of a brown paper bag... he charges £15-£20 for his scribble and instantly its worth £7.50

always found him a nice guy though... just a bit thick

wierd how we all have a different experience
    Last edited by toystalker; Jul 13, '10, 2:08 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

im supprised but not sure that no one mentioned about the fact that he gave away the plot line of the "im your father" story line live on air BEFORE the movie had come out, this is one of the main reason that lucus refusses to have anything to do with him, not because he turns his back on punters or wont sign certain ways... its because the guys always been a few slices short of a loaf! he gave away the plot and lucas has never forgiven him
      Hmmm....I'd heard that Prowse didn't know what the line was. He was just told to just gesture, and only Hamill knew how to react to what Vader was SUPPOSED to say. But that may be bunk.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        When Prowse visited our store, he told us of a Star Wars video game he had either shot footage for, or was getting ready to. This was around the time of the first "filmed" games like Wing Commander. So I guess someone at Lucas thought he was crucial enough at that point to get him to come in and wear the suit. He also told us he felt he would probably be involved in at least the last prequel movie. Obviously, that didn't come to be.

Chris

He might have been referring to the SW interactive board game which came with a VHS cassette which you watched as you played the game. That was one of the only times he donned the Vader suit outside of the movies, IIRC.

From Wookieepedia:

"The live-action video on the VHS tape was filmed in 1996. For the new scenes, Hasbro brought back David Prowse to play Vader and James Earl Jones to do the voice of Vader. Some of the crew from A New Hope returned as well to shoot the scenes, including cinematographer Gil Taylor. The scenes would play on an hour-long tape, during which the players would be playing the board game, trying to reach their goal before the tape ends. At various points during the tape, Vader would appear warning in a way the players of what he was about to do. In the video, he wants to turn the Death Star II away from the forest moon of Endor to attempt to destroy another planet."

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 13, '10, 12:03 PM.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^That would have been a year or so before he came to our store, so that may be right. Sounds likely.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

James Earl Jones still gots it!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ljFfL-mL70
            (at the recording for the Star Wars GPS)

ROUNDABOUND!
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• AcroRay
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 17, 2005

Originally posted by toystalker
              always found him a nice buy though... just a bit thick
              Very interesting observation! (Oh, and I do recall Green Cross Man, from some pages of DOCTOR WHO WEEKLY I got back in the early 80s. )
              Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
              AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
              The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
              Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by samurainoir
                James Earl Jones still gots it!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ljFfL-mL70
                (at the recording for the Star Wars GPS)

ROUNDABOUND!

Actually, I think that's Matt Sloan doing the voice of Vader there. (Same guy who voiced him in The Force Unleashed video game).

Similarly, the Yoda one isn't Frank Oz, I think it's Tom Kane, the guy who voices Yoda in The Clone Wars series.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• toystalker
                  none
                  • Mar 27, 2008

this 1 takes me back...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZIEFUT56k

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I like this one the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNsVmQVuuE

m

Comment

• chalwa
                      Mego Philomath
                      • Jun 8, 2007

Y'know, I'm a lot late to this thread but I have to mention that in the early 90's I met him at a small con here in NC.
                      He was at a table in the outer hallway and I mentioned the Green Cross Man pic I had seen of him in Starlog. His face lit up and he talked for quite a while to me and some others. He autographed all our stuff for free (!) and shook my hand before I left.
                      All the info in this thread is news to me as he was one of the nicest con guests I ever met.
                      Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
                      The Misadventures of Captain Blog
                      Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
                      I shall be very proud and great.
                      And tell the other girls and boys,
                      not to meddle with my toys.
                      -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Dave's signing copies of his autobigraphy at my local bookstore next month.
                        I'm tempted to buy a copy, to read what he says about his SW experiences over the years, both good and bad.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                          Well of course. But his vocal delivery was never intended for public consumption. Your talking about the mechanics of a shot before post production. His was merely a vocal queue for dubbing. James Earl Jones IS Darth Vader. His quality of voice and delivery is how we know the character. So the fame of Darth Vader is the voice and aesthetics of the costume, not who's wearing it.
                          I don't entirely agree with that. I think Prowse contributed a great deal in terms of body language. Vader had a swagger to him...something in his stride that conveyed incredible physical power. I think his contribution to the character is underrated.

Similar to the SMDM...nobody else could look as cool running in slo-mo as Lee Majors. It was his style...

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Heh, one thing I will say is I agree with Prowse's thoughts on the new films. They're toy commercials with video game sequences..

I also agree he added a great deal to the character with his body language, he was acting.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Normally I'd side with the actor on this kind of thing, ( Adam West and Clayton Moore come to mind) but Prowse is the single rudest celebrity I've ever met at a convention. He actually turned his back to my then girlfriend.
                              Adam West treated me very poorly when we met. So I'd put him as the rudest I've ever met.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                                Adam West treated me very poorly when we met. So I'd put him as the rudest I've ever met.
                                Yeah, I've heard mixed things about him. I've never gotten his autograph.

Lou Ferrigno was an incredible jerk to me.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎