X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

Getting into Captain Action Tips ?

Captain Action is one of the lines that scared me off because of the price.

But with reproductions , the availability of single pieces on E Bay, and my non "collect them all " intrest I might do okay but I was hoping for some heads up if you have any advice.

I'm totally a reproduction fan ( budget and condition) and am intrested in the custom stuff I have seen such as gloves.

I use customized GI Joes so I'm not really interested in the figure.

So any tips?

I'm liking some of the Buck Rogers pieces, the Batman , and especially those great acessory packs. Communicator, survival vest etc.

Just thought I'd ask.
  • david_b
    Never had enough toys..
    • May 9, 2008

I've collected for years, and I'd say the BEST advice is to insure the 'base uniform' is as minty as possible. Some have pulled threads, rips, stains, etc.. Most of the loose stuff you can hunt down in auctions, but as long as the uniform is in top shape, you're good.

It's really what you'll pay the most for.

david_b
    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

if you're a repro fan, I would recommend the KB Exclusive Green Hornet as opposed to the single packed costume, especially if you're an opener.

the reason being, the Exclusive version is closer to the original.

the Costume set IS nice, and mostly comes with the same accessories, but the key difference is the mask. PM decided to do something different, and while cool, makes for a key problem.

see, the costume set comes with a facemask for CA, that also features a removable Eyemask for Green Hornet, so you've got the Britt Reid "Halloween Mask", and then the eyemask that covers up his face.

because they made the mask a full-head mask, the hat does not fit properly, as its the same hat they used on the exclusive version.

the reason it doesn't fit is because the Exclusive version is not a full head mask, the top of the mask is left open, so it's CA's actual forehead and hair, that the hat rests on.

just FYI.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• TrueDave
        Toy Maker
        • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by Mister Blisterfists
        if you're a repro fan, I would recommend the KB Exclusive Green Hornet as opposed to the single packed costume, especially if you're an opener.

the reason being, the Exclusive version is closer to the original.

the Costume set IS nice, and mostly comes with the same accessories, but the key difference is the mask. PM decided to do something different, and while cool, makes for a key problem.

see, the costume set comes with a facemask for CA, that also features a removable Eyemask for Green Hornet, so you've got the Britt Reid "Halloween Mask", and then the eyemask that covers up his face.

because they made the mask a full-head mask, the hat does not fit properly, as its the same hat they used on the exclusive version.

the reason it doesn't fit is because the Exclusive version is not a full head mask, the top of the mask is left open, so it's CA's actual forehead and hair, that the hat rests on.

just FYI.
        I had them both. Gotta get the carded for the watch right?

i liked the Kato carded because the eyemask fits a Joe as a Lone Ranger , Zorro, etc mask.

I won a really nice Batman suit but I'm considering doing Black instead of blue on his gloves etc.

Found a glove guy but was wondering if there are any custom Black Masks out there.

Or really if theres a Doc Captain Action out there ( ala Doc Megos Repros)

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

have you checked out the classic plastick folks?

The Classic Plastick Toy Company - Home

Comment

• TrueDave
            Toy Maker
            • Jan 12, 2008

I saw thier gloves for sale then followed your link. GREAT STUFF!

I emailed them thanks guys!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I hesitated getting into this line because of the price as well.......but, I happened to be looking on ebay one day and saw an auction full of body suits and acessories at a really low price and ended up winning for like $13.00. got 3 supes suits, supes belt, 2 phantom suits, phantom cowl, flash gordon suit, mask and broken belt, lone ranger mask and 2 gun belts. that's where it all started for me. I am a patient person and don't mind watching for auction lots to complete various sets or start new ones. I agree if you get a good body suit as a base you can piece together from there. I have since aquired Captain America and Batman.

as a side Dave, I have found that CA feet are smaller than GI Joe so the boots won't fit a Joe. good luck on your hunt

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 15, 2010

A cautionary tale:

Two Christmas' ago, my wife got me a near mint, loose CA Batman set, that set in motion a very expensive obsession. See, when I was a kid, I had a small CA collection of costumes (Batman, Superman, Phantom, Hornet, Spidey,) and an Action Boy with Robin set. In the 80's, I sold all of them except for the well-worn Bat-related pieces. This is something I always regretted.

Now look -

The Phantom, Hornet, and Flash Gordon, and Tonto are Playing Mantis pieces, and that suits me just fine. Most of the costumes are on PM figures too. That's saved me a little dinero, but collecting CA is not for the faint of heart. It is however, extremely rewarding.
                sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

is that your silver streak?
                  awesome

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

I like the Aman flippers on the Alad. nice

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 15, 2010

Yeah, that's my Streak, and Aqualad's got the correct boots now - that's an old photo. Since those photos were taken, Spidey has his Web tank, Supes has his Kryptonite, chains, and Phantom Zone Projector, and Flash Gordon has a vintage facemask. Trying to ultimately have a complete, loose CA collection is an ongoing concern for me. I still need:
                      Spiderman websword and spider
                      Aqualad spear
                      Steve Canyon knife
                      Buck Rogers canteen and flashlight
                      Interspatial Communicator set
                      Jet mortar set
                      Survival vest set
                      Dr. Evil lab pieces

Here are my two most recent scores:

sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• TrueDave
                        Toy Maker
                        • Jan 12, 2008

I think I saw that Batmobile at a Wonderfest a while back.

Comment

• david_b
                          Never had enough toys..
                          • May 9, 2008

From another old C/A collector, NICE COLLECTION..!!!!

The only rare item I still have is a 'black' Action Boy beret.. It's either a proto-type or a Canadian variation, thinking the latter. It's still nice. I believe the belt was also black for the 'variation' but I'll probably never find that. I had pieced together minty Batman, Aquaman, and Spidey sets, but they've long been sold off. I STILL love my Captain America, Aqualad and Robin figs.

Totally agree on the the Hornet re-issue. I just got the first one (without the separate mask) and it's perfect for me.. I just added a white shirt and thin black tie and I was set. The Phantom reissue was also a nice update, especially on the shorts.

david_b
                          Last edited by david_b; Jul 16, '10, 11:14 PM.
                          Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 15, 2010

Yeah, I've passed on Ideal Phantom costumes a couple of times now, because the PM is simply better looking, and I find it pointless to buy something that I have no intention of displaying.
                            sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• Boywonder0
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 29, 2007

Hey Batman Professor, now I know where your name comes from... Where did you get that giant Batmobile for your 12" Captain Action Batman and Robin figures? Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎