Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caelonfox
    • Aug 7, 2008

(Re)sewing Gauntlets and busted Plastic Snaps

I'm sure this has been mentioned in numerous threads, but I felt I needed to bring it up once again after today.

Part of the charm of the "Mego" figures, was the fact that a child could swap clothes from one figure to another with absolutely no problems. These costumes are not kid friendy when it comes to swapping clothes. I understand a lot, if not most, of you don't have to deal with this problem as you are probably just collectors but this is ridiculous for us parents.

When my children try and swap the clothes on the Retros, the figs with Gauntlets (all but Superman at this point) almost always end up with seams seperated on the arms at the gauntlets and up the arm a little. I've had to sew them back numerous times already and I'm getting tired of it. Not sure if they're just not sewn very well or tight enough or if it's the more spandex type material. Has anyone else experienced this yet?

The other issue is the inferior plastic snaps. These simply suck. The slightest touch and they unsnap. My son's GL has a constantly open collar because the top snap will NOT stay closed. What could the difference in price point be between the plastic snaps and the old Mego Metal snaps?

It's just annoying.

Jason
    Firefighter/Mego Collector
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

No, Its a very slick fabric its the same problem i have with dollar store nylon uniforms. threads of the material and the stitches literally slide way from each other they don't lock down with friction like cotton fabrics.I used fabric tac Fray-stop solution on the edges of the materiel & sticthing. from Michael's or fabric shop.
    Last edited by AAAAA; Jul 7, '10, 1:27 PM.

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

I haven't really taken the clothes off of mine. But you could replace the plastic snaps with metal ones cheap enough. Velcro might even be a way to go.

Comment

• Caelonfox
        • Aug 7, 2008

Originally posted by boynightwing
        I haven't really taken the clothes off of mine. But you could replace the plastic snaps with metal ones cheap enough. Velcro might even be a way to go.
        I am definitely replacing the plastic snaps with metal ones that I already have for repairing my "real" Megos, it's just sad that I have to in order for my son to enjoy them as much.

Comment

• drmego
          EMCE Toys
          • Jun 15, 2001

Aquaman has metal snaps - but Two-Face still has plastic ones on his jacket,
          so I suspect that Mattel has realized that the figures need metal snaps.
          www.drmego.com
          www.megoman.com
          www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Caelonfox
            • Aug 7, 2008

Originally posted by drmego
            THAT'S FANTASTIC!! That is the best news I have heard all day! Thanks Paul!

Comment

• trekman101
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by drmego
              Hopefully Mattel will keep correcting problems
              "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by trekman101
                Hopefully Mattel will keep correcting problems
                Correcting a snap is easier and cheaper than correcting a busted body unfortunately. IF Mattel is gonna fix the bodies they probably won't do so until they've used up the entire stock of existing bodies
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎