Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sinestros big day..or no more wobbles for me!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Sinestros big day..or no more wobbles for me!

What better way to spend Canada day than messing around with toys?

No plans until tonight, so I decided I would re-string my Sinestro, who has permanant bow syndrome. I ripped him apart, and started re-stringing, and came up with an idea. I decided to toss the too small pelvis, and see if I could improve these little gomers, so the other Megos on the shelf would stop laughing at them.

by the way, if you havent restrung these...well, your in for a treat. Small openings and tight spaces are the norm. I've found if you run a fine piece of wire around the inside stem (sounds easier than it really is!) and use that to fish the string around, you'll be ok. I have found that its easier to trim the gussets on the stem back a bit to give you more room. (If you've ever looked inside one of these, you'll know what I mean!)

Digging a type 2 pelvis out of the parts box, I compared the leg openings, and the waist socket. Both would need some reworking, so I grabbed the handy dandy Dremel, and some x-acto knives, and went to wittling. the leg openings need to be opened up at the croth a bit so the Matty legs dont go out to the sides when the leg is bent up at the hip. Plus, the torso socket is almost round, so the pelvis one needed to be opened up to accept it properly. Neext, string the legs in first, and try them to make sure they rotate ok.

Next step was to trim the ball on the torso down a hair ---ie cut it a bit shorter. A lot of people blame the pelvis as the reson for the figures not staying straight, but I've found the bottom of the pelvis is also a problem. I trimmed it a bit shorter, then added a couple of wraps of electrical tape to help it sit more firmly in the type 2 pelvis. notice the legs to new pelvis ratio...They look fine. No more thunder thighs. Its definately the too small pelvis that throws the look of these figures off.

Sinestro laughs at the little boy pelvis...Hes a big boy now!

Back in costume, the figure looks way better with a proper sized torso, and has no more problems with the wobbles!

Compared with original equipment Superman:

I know remodelling all these figures this way would be a huge hassle, but for the more "troubled" ones like Sinestro was, it really made it worthwhile.
    Last edited by Captain; Jul 1, '10, 4:16 PM.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Looks great!!

I had worked a few pelvis operations on them. The design lends itself fairly well to a Captain Action style pelvis. They are sort of tall and wrap farther up the torso. I have also found that adding a lilttle to the cut on the top of the legs helps to give more flexibility to the hip joints, especially if you tie the legs to the top inner torso pin.

good looking Sinestro. Still nice and pink with the torso as well. awesome!!

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

You mean the PM Action Jackson pelvis? Once I got into this, I was wondering if that might not work better for the torso fit. I guess either way,it does prove that these bodies arent all that bad with the right tweaks. If Matty would rework the pelvis, they could save us all a lot of grief and headaches!

Have you got pictures up here somewhere showing your pelvis alterations rche?
      Last edited by Captain; Jul 1, '10, 4:57 PM.

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Looking at Sinestro and Superman that new pelvis really does make a huge difference, quite an improvement indeed
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Luke Landwalker
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 1, 2008

he looks good. But would mego legs look better?

Comment

• weatherwizard-Corey
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jul 1, 2008

Wow! It makes the legs look fine too. I would of never of guessed fixing the waist would do that! Can you email those pics to someone in Mattel or Doc. I think that's the answer everyone has been looking for!
            Wanted:- 12" Robin Shoes; Mego Batcave, Mego Die-cast Batman-loose, Mattel-BSG Gold Cylon loose.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I did sort of the same thing, but added the waist ball from the mego body onto the Mattel body.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

The PM AJ pelvis is still slightly large for this, but it is the direction to go for how that lower torso is designed. A shrink of that pelvis, or cutup or just a new mold with that design in mind could do wonders for this body. The micro pelvis from Matty just don't cut it.

Lonnies earlier take on adding a t2 pelvis and the bottom ball from the torso works similarly to this. Unfortunately, it adds a glue step and is not quite as streamlined looking when the parts are reassembled. Both versions look great once you get the costumes back on tho.

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

How much did you have to trim from the butt end of the t2 pelvis? That is another bit of the engineering that pushes the legs and makes for the pigeon toe look.

Comment

• trekman101
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2009

I always said the legs were fine and the pelvis was the problem....great fix Captain...one question..does the change affect the figures original height?
                    "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Captain
                      Fighting the good fight!
                      • Jun 17, 2001

If you mean the leg openings rche, I didnt really have to trim off any of the opening at the back...the legs fit good there, just had to open the front and top a bit to allow the legs to move forward without going sideways. Had to trim a lot of the inside where the torso fits though--front back and sides.

After the operation, Siestro was exactly the same height as before. If I hadnt trimmed his torso down a bit, he would have been a bit taller, but nothing noticeable.

If (big if) Matty did retool, and I were them, I would change the lower torso design along with the pelvis...both are guilty parties when it comes to the wobbles problem.

After tearing these apart, I can see the build process at the factory has to be way more labor intensive than it needs to be. Lots of sub assembly work before the body can be put together. Improving flow time at the factory level could be a way to get Matty to revisit these...but I doubt it.

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by Luke Landwalker
                        he looks good. But would mego legs look better?
                        A Mego body would look better.

I wanted to keep it as close to "factory" as I could.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

That looks GREAT !!!

Wish Mattel would read this thread and fix their future bodies

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Neat! Using the larger mego pelvis makes the legs look better too.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎