X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

The Completely Mad Don Martin

A humungously heavy two-volume slipcased tome of all of Don Martin's "MAD" work....at Barnes and Noble for only $25....originally $150.
    A STEAL IMO
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

I ordered it online of $19.98 with free shipping with a gift card I had. Thanks for the tip!
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

yeah, Don's work was some of the best stuff MAD ever did.

I wonder if it includes the work he did when he defected to CRACKED in the 80s?

because it's not really 'complete' if it doesn't.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Mister Blisterfists

Well seeing as it's titled Completely MAD, I'm going to say it's just the MAD Magazine stuff.
        Rich

Comment

• AJ Collector
          The Biggest Little Man!
          • Aug 24, 2008

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          A humungously heavy two-volume slipcased tome of all of Don Martin's "MAD" work....at Barnes and Noble for only $25....originally $150.
          A STEAL IMO
          That is a great deal! I love mine loads of fun!!

Comment

• AJ Collector
            The Biggest Little Man!
            • Aug 24, 2008

Originally posted by pmwasson
            I ordered it online of $19.98 with free shipping with a gift card I had. Thanks for the tip!
            Paul you saved a ton with free shipping since that’s about what it weighs!

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

The Completely Mad Don Martin ... RIF

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by AJ Collector
                Paul you saved a ton with free shipping since that’s about what it weighs!
                Oh yeah...the cashier almost broke her arm when I handed it to her

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Well then, you're missing a huge chunk of some of his BEST work.

which is a shame, since the rights to that stuff should've reverted back to his estate when Cracked went belly up, and been available for reprint with this.

so, enjoy what's there, but realize that it's also missing a decade's worth of work. At that price, it's a steal, but I grew up in the 80s, and to me, Don Martin was a CRACKED artist. I didn't discover his MAD work until MUCH later.

I'd love to sink my teeth into this collection, but I just couldn't enjoy it on the same level, knowing it wasn't complete.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                    Removed.
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Well if you buy this one then maybe that will persuade them to do Vol II: The Completely Cracked Don Martin

Rich

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

BEST BOOK EVER! Strongly recommended!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

which is a shame, since the rights to that stuff should've reverted back to his estate when Cracked went belly up, and been available for reprint with this.
                        1. It's a MAD publication, not a Don Martin publication
                        2. You never promote or mention the competition, even if they are "belly up".
                        3. When Don left MAD it was because of financial issues regarding reprints,
                        so I really don't see why they would want to glorify that by including his
                        Cracked stuff.

so, enjoy what's there, but realize that it's also missing a decade's worth of work. At that price, it's a steal, but I grew up in the 80s, and to me, Don Martin was a CRACKED artist. I didn't discover his MAD work until MUCH later.
                        That's your loss then....Don Martin was a MAD artist for about 32 years...For Cracked it was only 6....You do the math ....His Cracked work was a drop in the bucket compared to what he did at/for MAD.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

All I'm saying is, when you honor a man's life's work, you can't pick and choose, especially when some of the BEST stuff was through the competition.

you're not GLORIFYING the competition, you don't even need to mention it.

this book was not published by MAD or DC Comics, this book was published by Running Press, which is an independent third party, that being the case, one can assume that they had to acquire the rights. As such, they could've easily acquired the rights to ALL of his work, not just SOME of it.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

All I'm saying is, when you honor a man's life's work, you can't pick and choose, especially when some of the BEST stuff was through the competition.
                            And AGAIN....the title isn't "The Complete Don Martin", it's "The Completely MAD Don Martin"...so of course it should only reflect his MAD work.

this book was not published by MAD or DC Comics, this book was published by Running Press, which is an independent third party, that being the case, one can assume that they had to acquire the rights. As such, they could've easily acquired the rights to ALL of his work, not just SOME of it.
                            Apparently they didn't think his Cracked work was all it was cracked up to be then

But if YOU think it deserves to be reprinted in some sort of compendium, then by all means go right out and secure the rights to Martin's Cracked work and knock yourself out getting it published. I don't think there'df be that much interest to tell you the truth. Contrary to what you believe, Don Martin will always be "Mad's Maddest Artist"

Comment

• bobbait
                              What, me worry?
                              • Jun 9, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              Contrary to what you believe, Don Martin will always be "Mad's Maddest Artist"
                              yup!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎