Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I think whenever anyone starts not liking the Re-Heroes they should take a moment and remember the good old days when you bought your first Famous Cover and were utterly horrified at thought they were billed as Mego like.
    Last edited by Mikey; Jun 30, '10, 8:32 AM.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
      Stuck in a laundry shoot.
      • Oct 8, 2007

Bats looks like he has rickets, or something.

Run, Batman, run.

"Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Remco Monster
        GLOWS in the Dark!
        • May 3, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey01
        I think whenever anyone starts not liking the Re-Heroes they should take a moment and remember the good old days when you bought your first Famous Cover and were utterly horrified at thought they were billed as Mego like.
        Thing is, for the most part, these remind me more of Famous Covers and that 9" DC line, than they do Mego. Mainly due to their bodies and boots.

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 27, 2004

Originally posted by drmego
          You make an interesting point in comparing this to the Star Wars prequels.

You know that everyone wanted them to be great - to fit right in with
          the originals - and kids I know accept them as part of the canon - but
          to us, they are a sour note.

Is it because we had certain expectations of what the movies should
          be like?
          I certainly don't want to overextend the analogy, nor do I wish to continue to beat the horse. But this matters to me and I will voice my concerns in continued hope they might get fixed.

I agree that a certain part of the problem is that both have been built up in the fans minds for so long that meeting the expectations of our imagination would be tough.

With that said, Doc, you yourself set the Gold Standard for how it should be done with Sulu, Gorn, GAH... This is clearly a case where if you were left to do this on your own I have no doubt the would be immesurably better in every way.
          Like M.A.S.K.?
          www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• Mister Kennedy
            • Jun 23, 2010

Continuing with the Star Wars analogies, to me, the Retro-Action figures are more like the Special Editions of the original trilogy than the prequels.

For the Special Editions, George Lucas revisited his original classics and made tweaks such as Greedo shooting first, random new droids and creatures milling about and everyone celebrating the Emperor's death on other planets we didn't even see in Episodes 4-6. Lucas made these changes because he could; he had the power and he finally had the technology.

That sounds a lot like these Retro-Action toys. There were updates made, just because Mattel could. Were they made for the best? That point is arguable.
            Last edited by Mister Kennedy; Jul 1, '10, 2:05 AM.

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Mister Kennedy
              Continuing with the Star Wars analogies, to me, the Retro-Action figures are more like the Special Editions of the original trilogy than the prequels.

For the Special Editions, George Lucas revisited his original classics and made tweaks such as Greedo shooting first, random new droids and creatures milling about and everyone celebrating the Emperor's death on other planets we didn't even see in Episodes 4-6. Lucas made these changes because he could; he had the power and he finally had the technology.

That sounds a lot like these Retro-Action toys. There were updates made, just because Mattel could. Were they made for the best? That point is arguable.
              But these aren't updates to existing figures, not all of them anyway.
              Take away the extra scenes and you still have the original movies, but you can't take away any updates from Two-Face, Black Manta, Green Arrow, Lex Luthor
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• trekman101
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                I doubt we'd ever find the perfect modern mego that everyone could agree on.
                Brian...you said a mouthful
                "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• trekman101
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                  I don't think its as unobtainable as reasoned. Look at the Trek figures and POTA. There was very little argument over their likeness to Mego. Pretty much spot on from what I see. The issue here is Mattel wants to have a patent for their own bodies and so differences have to be made. The same goes for the boots and similar items. Its a business reality more than a translation issue.
                  That's exactly right
                  "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Mister Kennedy
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Meule
                    But these aren't updates to existing figures, not all of them anyway.
                    Take away the extra scenes and you still have the original movies, but you can't take away any updates from Two-Face, Black Manta, Green Arrow, Lex Luthor
                    Two-Face, Manta and the other previously unproduced figures would be an example of the added bits to the Special Editions that didn't exist during the OT's first release.

I believe many do consider these to be updates to the original MEGO line, which is why it's so exciting to see characters like Two-Face who did not appear in that original series. Unfortunately, despite appearances, Mattel may be one of the few who don't consider these an extension of the original line, considering all the unnecessary changes.

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

To Mattel this is a new line that has roots in the original megos, but is
                      its own animal. Creative people always want to make changes to
                      the old - the trick is not to lose the essence of the original when
                      making those changes.

My complaint with Famous Covers and Hasbro's 9 inch is that in
                      trying to make improvements, they lost the essence of mego.
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I think most companies who have tried this, tend to underrate the importance fans have to the actual scale. They want a product that can stand side by side with their vintage Megos. I think the aesthetic changes all companies, including Mattel, give to the figure can be forgiven, over time, if the scale can pass the test. Quality helps as well. Right now, Mattel is only marginally better than CTVT, because I haven't heard much about breakage. But many collectors are still swapping out bodies all the same. Come to think about it, maybe their neck and neck in quality. I see alot of CTVT bodies on customs, but am still waiting for the first Mattel body to pop up on a custom. Kinda hard to do since Mattel went to great lengths to make the head a permanent fixture without destroying the body to remove it. Hmmm. Jury still out on that.
                        Last edited by MIB41; Jul 1, '10, 8:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎