Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My MegoMeet Blather

Images
    A mile or two past Undo's, I was tempted Wednesdau night and when McDonald's was closed I should have went there instead of the marathon Gas N Sip.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynne View Post
    and there I was thinking the locals knew their own town better than the tourists. Clearly that was my mistake. According to all three locals I talked to - it's the grocery stores or nothing. After trying Riesbeck's Bakery, I would opt for nothing... unless of course you can find the Tim Horton's
    Nobody asked for a Donut Shop, or I'd have happily clued 'em in!

There used to be a Dunkin' at the Ohio Valley Mall, but that was in the late 80s. It's been gone so long I barely even knew it was there.

if anybody wants to know where the hot spots to eat are, just ask! The Ohio Valley has exactly ONE of anything, and most of it is in or near Wheeling!

7-11?, Market Street, downtown. Hardee's? Elm Grove near Oglebay. Want the best pizza in the valley?, DiCarlo's in Elm Grove.

and trust me that Horton's is NOWHERE near downtown.

you take Kruger Street to the 4-way, and you keep going straight down National Road. It's in Elm Grove, near the turn to Oglebay. There's a Hardee's (the last one left in the Ohio Valley) just up the road, and a Huge church, and a Sheetz across the street.

as for that McDonald's I don't understand why it's not 24 hours. Most of the other ones in the Valley are open all the time. The one in Elm Grove is consistently voted not just one of the best in the valley, but one of the best McDonald's restaurants in the country. (I am no judge of fast food joints, one Mc D's is the same as another IMO, but apparently the bubble tubes add ambiance or something......)
    Last edited by B-Lister; Jun 16, '10 at 12:54 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    That's going to my grave.
    That had me curious too.

Glad to hear you had a good time and thanks for the comments...it's really nice to hear everyone's perspectives.

Images
    I love getting the chance to talk in person with people I primarily comment with only on-line. Everyone at the Meet is exceptionally friendly, generous, and represent our community well.
    Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Agreed Ray, and I was really glad to talk a bit with you and check out the amazing Micronauts display! And who'd have thought I'd find Dio and King Diamond tourbooks at MegoMeet of all places? LOL

It's good to know about all of those various restaurants and donut shops and stuff in the area, maybe for next year we can compile a list of that stuff and their whereabouts and make 'em available for the 2011 attendees...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nvmbrsdoom5 View Post
    Agreed Ray, and I was really glad to talk a bit with you and check out the amazing Micronauts display! And who'd have thought I'd find Dio and King Diamond tourbooks at MegoMeet of all places? LOL
    AcroRay's No-Mego Megomeet Table! I'm glad they found an appreciative home! (KD used to hang in my dorm room, to offend my crazy neo-con roommate!)
    Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Images
    Blog Entries
    It's good to know about all of those various restaurants and donut shops and stuff in the area, maybe for next year we can compile a list of that stuff and their whereabouts and make 'em available for the 2011 attendees...
    That's a great idea! Particularly if you want to take a couple of extra days after traveling that distance.

We discovered the Highlands on the way home and it's got a really great bookstore and a selection of restaurants.

There are also a couple of interesting places downtown, like the market and a science type shop that was really cool.

I would have actually loved to have brought my camera and spent a couple of hours taking pictures of the architecture and surrounding landscape.

I understand there is some really great hiking and climbing in the area.

On my list next year is the Zoo and the Planetarium at the resort.

I'd be happy to contribute local area knowledge if someone were interested.

just let me know of some places/things that interest you, or that you like to go, and I'll do everything I can to compile a list.

Local TRU, Target, etc. for those off-site toy runs?, check.
    Places to get good grub?, check.
    Emergency Services?, check.
    I'll cover ya. I don't wanna be the local tour guide, but if it's close enough to the museum, I can certainly hop in the car and you can follow me where you need to go!

The Valley has a lot of great things to offer, and there are actually THREE local toy museums. I can help you get to any one of them if you'd like, as they're all within drivable distances of the Meet.

Images

On the way home Sunday me and my son stopped in at Cabelas outdoor gear and outfitters off of 70 east(one exit from the meet)....they had every thing in there including an aquarium,fish pond ,wild life exhibits like in Disney,a shooting gallery and restaurant....we spent 3 hours there and picked up new fishing rods & reels
    "Thats the ticket laddie"

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trekman101 View Post
    On the way home Sunday me and my son stopped in at Cabelas outdoor gear and outfitters off of 70 east(one exit from the meet)....they had every thing in there including an aquarium,fish pond ,wild life exhibits like in Disney,a shooting gallery and restaurant....we spent 3 hours there and picked up new fishing rods & reels
    That was at the Highhlands! I wish I had stopped in there, but after lunch, the Pet Store, the book store, Walmart and Target, it was time to hit the road. I'll have to check it out next time.