X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

My MegoMeet Blather

You'd think after attending five of these I'd get good at summing up the whole deal but I still struggle with it.

I normally look forward to the meet but this year with all the real life crap and the tension here lately, I REALLY looked forward a relaxing meet up with many people I think of as friends, who just happen to share my obsessions. That's rare for me and I treasure it.

On the moderator side I've noticed that a meet generally sends a good vibe to the boards afterwards as well. People air differences, get to know each other, a lot of that human factor overrides the inherent problems with online communication.

Here are just some random thoughts and observations:
    • It was great sharing quarters with Greg and Charlie, it felt like my college days of going to the Chiller cons. Their good influence also had me experience my first Mego Meet without a crippling hang over.

• Scott (Random Axe) gifted me with one of his custom Animal Man figures. Something I was truly humbled by as it's a work of art that I already admired. If I had gone home with nothing else, the show would have been a complete win in my eyes.

• Years of fearing eating at Hoss were unfounded, that's the healthiest I've ever eaten at a Meet.

• It's so nice to see so many couples and families enjoying MegoMeet, the Nagy's, The Baltazars, The Bachman Millers, they add a lot to the event.

• All the new folks I happily met for the first time like Ed, Rick and Amy to name a few. There is a happy satisfaction in going away confirming people are as good as they seem online.

• Saturday night festivities were just plain fun, I loved sharing stories, drinking beers and laughing on that impromtu patio. I was a smelly wreck on Sunday morning and I'm banned from a certain Buffalo area Dunkin' Donuts but I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Of course, all the old faces that I've come to equate with the meet itself, by no means the biggest, but on all accounts the best toy show I attend, period.

Thanks guys, it was a complete pleasure.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

you had me at "hello".
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Sounds like it was a blast, hope to join the fun one day
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

Well said. I've come up to think of the Meet as detox from life's day to day trials as well.

Comment

• trekman101
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2009

I needed it as well.....for the last couple of weeks I just couldn't wait to go to the meet...and when it was over I just didn't want it to end....my wife told me just before that my son said last years meet was the best thing he did last summer and this years meet topped it.....we both had a great time
          "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

Looking forward to the Buffalo Dunkin Donuts story

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hulk
              Looking forward to the Buffalo Dunkin Donuts story
              That's going to my grave.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Flynne
                Permanent Member
                • Jan 22, 2003

See that's the kind of trouble you can't get into in Wheeling... because they have no Dunkin' Donuts... or apparently Donut stores of any kind.

Always a pleasure to see you, Brian.
                An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

They actually have a Tim Horton's now, closer to downtown though.

Comment

• Flynne
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by Hulk
                    They actually have a Tim Horton's now, closer to downtown though.
                    and there I was thinking the locals knew their own town better than the tourists. Clearly that was my mistake. According to all three locals I talked to - it's the grocery stores or nothing. After trying Riesbeck's Bakery, I would opt for nothing... unless of course you can find the Tim Horton's
                    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

A mile or two past Undo's, I was tempted Wednesdau night and when McDonald's was closed I should have went there instead of the marathon Gas N Sip.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Flynne
                        and there I was thinking the locals knew their own town better than the tourists. Clearly that was my mistake. According to all three locals I talked to - it's the grocery stores or nothing. After trying Riesbeck's Bakery, I would opt for nothing... unless of course you can find the Tim Horton's
                        Nobody asked for a Donut Shop, or I'd have happily clued 'em in!

There used to be a Dunkin' at the Ohio Valley Mall, but that was in the late 80s. It's been gone so long I barely even knew it was there.

if anybody wants to know where the hot spots to eat are, just ask! The Ohio Valley has exactly ONE of anything, and most of it is in or near Wheeling!

7-11?, Market Street, downtown. Hardee's? Elm Grove near Oglebay. Want the best pizza in the valley?, DiCarlo's in Elm Grove.

and trust me that Horton's is NOWHERE near downtown.

you take Kruger Street to the 4-way, and you keep going straight down National Road. It's in Elm Grove, near the turn to Oglebay. There's a Hardee's (the last one left in the Ohio Valley) just up the road, and a Huge church, and a Sheetz across the street.

as for that McDonald's I don't understand why it's not 24 hours. Most of the other ones in the Valley are open all the time. The one in Elm Grove is consistently voted not just one of the best in the valley, but one of the best McDonald's restaurants in the country. (I am no judge of fast food joints, one Mc D's is the same as another IMO, but apparently the bubble tubes add ambiance or something......)
                        Last edited by B-Lister; Jun 16, '10, 12:54 AM.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                          MeGoing
                          • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                          That's going to my grave.
                          That had me curious too.

Glad to hear you had a good time and thanks for the comments...it's really nice to hear everyone's perspectives.

Comment

• AcroRay
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 17, 2005

I love getting the chance to talk in person with people I primarily comment with only on-line. Everyone at the Meet is exceptionally friendly, generous, and represent our community well.
                            Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                            AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                            The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                            Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

Agreed Ray, and I was really glad to talk a bit with you and check out the amazing Micronauts display! And who'd have thought I'd find Dio and King Diamond tourbooks at MegoMeet of all places? LOL

It's good to know about all of those various restaurants and donut shops and stuff in the area, maybe for next year we can compile a list of that stuff and their whereabouts and make 'em available for the 2011 attendees...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎