X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Random Meet thoughts/observations

THis is a pure joy to attend. Anyone who knows me is aware of the stuff I have going on outside of the boards and how much I needed to get away from things. I cannot think of a better destination that the Meet. I got to know some people better and met some for the first time. I'll try to break it down.

Super8 - Well, it's a Super8. What can you expect? I only had my room attended to once in the entire weekend, and I think all they did was make the bed. Four words you'll never hear in Super8: "Hey, good job cleaning."

Hoss's Steakhouse - WHen you hear someone say it's not about the food, it's the company, they are referring to Hoss's. I ordered a philly steak sandwich and it came with melted american cheese and exactly eight fries. Freakin Kraft American slices on a philly. Some great comic book conversations were had, so I didn't notice the food as much.

Undo's - I'm not a huge Italian food fan, but I decided to end my two year boycott of the annual Saturday dinner and try this out. Awesome. Once my food cooled down I was able to enjoy. It was so hot the ceramic bowl was warped. I think they cooked it in a kiln. Art's was the same way.

The Meet - I won't go into a lot of detail, but there is simply no better place on the planet to see Megos and buy stuff. I had never actually held a Kid FLash before or seen one in person. Simply put, this is pure Mego joy.

THE PEEPS

Art - You are as cool as you are funny, and that's a big serving of both. The best item I came home with was a drawing he did for me. I was stunned he actually remembered my request months ago. It's getting matted and framed this week. The custom panel was fun with you too. It was a geeky, Megoish version of an Abbot and Costello routine, so for that many thanks.

Azrak - Steve it was awesome to hang out with and talk to someone who is my equal in deadpan dry humor and cynicism.

Ed Nagy - I know the Meet had a terrible end for you, but you're tops in my book. You've got a great family.

Jim Hampton - Always a pleasure to hang with you. Your Meet customs are always great, and Hyde was your best.

Berto - It's rare I ever get to talk comics with someone who has both a passion for silver age Perez/Byrne/Adams stuff and still is in awe of some modern comics. Much appreciated.

Chris DVM - It's nice to see someone so excited over Megos. I'd always seen you as a pretty reserved guy, but this weekend I saw the inner child, wide-eyed and full of vigor. Your efforts in putting the meet together and making the annual figure are sincerely appreciated.

November's Doom Crew - Awesome band and even better people. Austin, Larry, Jessica and Paul, you guys rock. I don't often get to talk shop regarding metal anymore, so that was refreshing. Austin, you could sell Helen Keller a camera. Yes, you're that good.

Samurainoir - Ed, I don't think, in the three years I've gone to this, I've ever met someone who was as genuinely happy to be there as you. Your enthusiasm and positive vibes made the weekend better. I hope you retuen.

Megocrazy - Chuck, your to-the-point honesty is refreshing. There's never any grey area regarding your opinion on any subject.

Hulk - Paul is one laid back dude, but as genuine as you get. It's always great to see you there.

I KNOW I left a bunch of stuff and people out here, so apologies all around. THis weekend is fun, but exhaustive. I'm worn out big-time. However, it was another terrific Meet. You guys rock.

Scott
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

It's great to see and read about what happened at the meet. It's not as great as being there, but it's better than nuthin. Thank you for your insights. It was a pleasure to read.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 1, 2005

Scott it was a real pleasure getting to meet you and talk to you in person, and your work is fantastic. And thanks for chatting about art, working retail and stuff with Jess, it helped her to "fit in" even better then

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

Hey Scott - I really enjoyed meeting you. Seeing your customs in person was amazing. Thanks for sharing some tips with us during the custom panel.
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Always a pleasure Scott. Your customs are amazing.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

Scott, it was great to see you again this year. Your display of outstanding customs is truly humbling. Great work.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• megowgsh
              Customego HoF Curator
              • Nov 19, 2003

"Austin, you could sell Helen Keller a camera. Yes, you're that good."

I have been told I could sell ice to Eskimo's and a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves, but this one is the highest compliment a salesman could ever hope for.

Thanks Scott, it was great seeing you again. You are trully a good friend. Talk at ya soon.

Austin
              Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                House of a thousand Megos
                • Aug 10, 2009

I had a blast at the meet, my wife and son loved it too, sorry I didn't get to socialize as much as I wanted my little boy dragged me everywhere going warp 9 we don't call him chaser for nothing! LOL I got one of your cards random axe, so I guess I met you but I can't remember I was so busy and in like a dream world of mego-ness. LOL
                Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I really wish we had more of an opportunity to converse Scott! It sounds like we share the same tastes in comics.

Back at the hotel room after the Meet, I finally got a chance to get Animal Man out of the box and examine him up close, and I am in absolute awe! The attention to detail is amazing, and what a great paint job you did on his head. Toyroom's box design was a perfect compliment to it as well. The Brian Bolland he chose just made it jump out at me sitting on your table.

I should also give November's Doom Crew a huge group hug. I think Jen and I were the last to arrive at Undo's and it kind of felt like being the new kid in the cafeteria on the first day of school. But there was Austin, bellowing out to us to come sit with them. It worked out really nicely because Jen isn't really into toys, but she's really enthusiastic about her music, and was a headbangin' rocker chick back in the day. Plus: we got to go out for Ice Cream afterwards!
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

Ed, it was a pleasure having you and Jen dine with myself, Jessica and Austin! We really enjoyed your company. And even though I've been posting here for a while and been to MM before (in '06) I still feel very much like the new kid myself so I understand!

The ice cream shop was funny, you really dug yourself a hole with that AC/DC concert comment, LOL..... rule #1- always get your past dating history facts straight!! D'oh!

Oh and I agree with you, Scott's Animal Man Figure was awesome!

Comment

• megocrazy
                      Museum Trouble Maker
                      • Feb 18, 2007

It was great seeing you again Scott. You have some incredible custom figures. They're as good as any I've seen out there in both detail and quality. Look forward to seeing what you've got in the works.
                      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Hulk
                        Mayor of Megoville
                        • May 10, 2003

Great post Scott. Its been a pleasure getting to know you the past couple of years. I think you are as genuine as it gets as well.

Comment

• Flynne
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jan 22, 2003

Great to see you again, Scott - you da Custom Man!
                          An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Mego Milk
                            Custom Mego Maker
                            • Jun 3, 2007

Aw.

Yeah.

Comment

• VintageMike
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 16, 2004

It was good to see you Scott. If wasn't so determined to stick to my budget this year I would have been all over that Animal Man. Out of all the customs I saw this it was one of my favorites. I'm still laughing a bit about us sitting the lobby Thursday wondering where everyone was until James (Garagesale) let us know everyone was already hanging out in the suite.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎