Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready for a Black Peter Parker/Spiderman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

I think of all the ways they could screw up this Spider-Man reboot, casting an actor of color is pretty far down my list. There is nothing about the character where it wouldn't work the same if you changed the ethnicity (like say, Will Smith in "Wild Wild West").

Sure, he won't look like the Peter Parker of the comics... but look at all the different actors who have played Batman. They really don't look anything like each other, except they are all white. They aren't even all American. While some have done better than others, I don't think the movies succeeded or failed based on the appearance being different from comic book Batman.

Besides... have you seen the *actual* short-list? In the comics, Peter Parker may not be black, but he doesn't look like a sparkly vampire either...

Spider-Man is one of these tools

I don't think it would happen, but Donal Glover is a good actor. I don't see the harm in giving him an audition. If he nails it, why shouldn't he get the part?

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

It probably won't happen, but I don't think it'd be the end of the world if it did.
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

For those unfamiliar with the work of the young man in question, check out these clips.

Troy and Abed to Ernie and Bert...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ1SJD4XWZc

Troy teaches Jeff to fight.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-hUus42NTY

and just to show you why Batman should be a middle easter kid...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ez9xiDsSX4
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by MegoScott
          It probably won't happen, but I don't think it'd be the end of the world if it did.
          On the other hand, unless movies are lying to me, the world will end if there is a black president of the united states.

Oh wait...
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

Touche.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by sprytel
              I think of all the ways they could screw up this Spider-Man reboot, casting an actor of color is pretty far down my list. There is nothing about the character where it wouldn't work the same if you changed the ethnicity (like say, Will Smith in "Wild Wild West").

Sure, he won't look like the Peter Parker of the comics... but look at all the different actors who have played Batman. They really don't look anything like each other, except they are all white. They aren't even all American. While some have done better than others, I don't think the movies succeeded or failed based on the appearance being different from comic book Batman.

Besides... have you seen the *actual* short-list? In the comics, Peter Parker may not be black, but he doesn't look like a sparkly vampire either...

I don't think it would happen, but Donal Glover is a good actor. I don't see the harm in giving him an audition. If he nails it, why shouldn't he get the part?

I'm with you. Giving Parker different nationality, or less typical American ethnicity would be strange, but it wouldn't bother me if he was an all-American nerdy black kid, instead of an all-American nerdy white kid.

I like Tobey Maguire, but some of the character was out of his range. He couldn't deliver the one-liner quips properly. To me a HUGE part of the appeal of Spider-Man is that his intelligence used to keep him from fitting in, but as he gains confidence he starts to use his intelligence and his sense of humor starts coming out in his Parker life. Humor is how he stands up to Flash, and how he starts picking up chicks - and they could never do that well with Maguire in my opinion which is why they left it out.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Brazoo
                I think that would work a lot better than Spider-man 3
                I agree...

Spidey 3...one of the worst superhero movies of all times...right up there with Supes 3...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ealdrett
                  Oh....HELL YEAH!!! I'd be all over this.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                    Didn't they already do that to superman and call it Hancock???
                    Exactly...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

You know...I think I've had a change of heart.

At this point in time...I wouldn't mind if Parker was a brotha.

I had absolutley No idea whatsoever who Donal Glover was...but thanks to Brian, I googled the dude...and he fits the nerdy persona just fine...

Now...you might ask yourselves...is he really the only option out there?

Well...if Hollywood's best answer are these supposed finalists...yes...I'd take Glover over any of these tools...

I mean really...are you serious??? THESE GUYS?

...and some of them are English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...ain't Parker supposed to be a true New Yorker?

A black American deserves to be Parker a lot more than a white Brit...come on now.

If that's how it's going to be...then I demand a brotha now...

sigpic

Comment

• Cmonster
                        Banned
                        • Feb 6, 2010

If this guy winds up playing Peter, are they gonna cast an African American MJ?

SC

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
                          You know...I think I've had a change of heart.

At this point in time...I wouldn't mind if Parker was a brotha.

I had absolutley No idea whatsoever who Donal Glover was...but thanks to Brian, I googled the dude...and he fits the nerdy persona just fine...

Now...you might ask yourselves...is he really the only option out there?

Well...if Hollywood's best answer are these supposed finalists...yes...I'd take Glover over any of these tools...

I mean really...are you serious??? THESE GUYS?

...and some of them are English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...ain't Parker supposed to be a true New Yorker?

A black American deserves to be Parker a lot more than a white Brit...come on now.

If that's how it's going to be...then I demand a brotha now...

WOW Son of Urkel.......

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Cmonster
                            If this guy winds up playing Peter, are they gonna cast an African American MJ?

SC
                            If they cast Zoe Saldana as MJ...I'm soooooooooooooooo there!!!!

A MILLION times better than Kirsten Dunst!!!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                              WOW Son of Urkel.......
                              Exactly...

But seriously...did you check out the other dudes in contention?

They all suck, bro...nothing but Twilight type toy boys...lol.

Tobey Maguire is a nerd...but at least he's not a Twilight type toy boy...

sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                                I agree...

Spidey 3...one of the worst superhero movies of all times...right up there with Supes 3...

Spidey 3...another movie like SUPES 3 that at the very least had some
                                solid production values going for it. To up the ante, Spidey 3's
                                "corny moments" were isolated, so if that's the biggest point of contention
                                for SUPES 3 at least, SPIDEY 3 had a lot more going for it...I know you
                                hated seeing VENOMS "face"... but I think the only things "truly" marring
                                that movie were the dance routines in the flick....specifically the one in
                                which he belted MJ directly afterwards...as much as I was enjoying that
                                movie, that made me flinch in a "That was an inappropriate melding of movie tones" moment.

EDITED TO ADD:
                                And, honestly, at this point...they did me right so well with the Tobey flicks,
                                they can do anything with the Spidey role at this point and I'd forgive them.
                                Last edited by huedell; Jun 4, '10, 7:12 PM.
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎