Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready for a Black Peter Parker/Spiderman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Danny Glover? Isn't he to old for this ********?

Seriously, this is just nuts. Apparently some boneheads thought Ali should play Superman back in the 70s too, so it's not a new idea. As others have said I wouldn't want a white guy playing T'Challa or Luke Cage, or Cyborg, or John Stewart, or...

For whatever reason, the Kingpin didn't bother me much. Maybe because he's not the main character, and he's not a mascot character like Spider-Man.

There has to be a nerdy white guy other than Tobey who can play Peter Parker!

Chris
    Yeah,if it's minor character like Kingpin or Nick Fury,let them do what they want. Make him sky blue with pink polka dots for all I care. If it's a major player like Peter Parker,leave it be.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
      Why not go all the way and make Peter Parker a fat transvestite with triple D's and tourette's syndrome...

I think that would work a lot better than Spider-man 3

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Shaft Fury says "Hello."

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

Oh....HELL YEAH!!! I'd be all over this.

Originally posted by Hector
          Why not go all the way and make Peter Parker a fat transvestite with triple D's and tourette's syndrome...

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

This is ridiculous. Peter Parker/Spiderman is a white guy, why does Hollywood constantly feel the need to **** **** up like that?
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• garagesale
              Dept. of Mego Studies
              • Aug 8, 2006

I don't mind if they change the ethnicity of major characters in these kinds of movies. But if they look and present themselves much different from the previous actors, then it's always better to just do a complete reboot IMO. The gulf between the Keaton and Clooney portrayals of Batman was just way too big for me to buy, though Keaton to Kilmer was OK. The switch from Bana to Norton for Hulk was very much a reboot, as the two are nothing alike and neither were the films.

An African American Peter Parker sounds like a complete reboot to me. Might be worth seeing if so.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Didn't they already do that to superman and call it Hancock???
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I dunno. Overall I don't think ethnicity is a big deal, but I think it's bad to hash with established continuity like Parker being a nerdy white kid. I don't think story-wise it'd make a difference at all, but it'd throw a lot of folks since Parker is a well known character.

>When is this maddening PC ever going to end?

I'd suspect it's more a marketing thing. 'Course, didn't Morgan Freeman play Spidey at one point?

>If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.

That's kinda what people want. I've seen comic fans scream blue murder 'cos they changed Batman's emblem.

Don C.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

You know, the cynical person in me thinks this is marketing genius. They leak that this guy is a major contender, the media runs it everywhere, collective nerdom gets in a fit, and voila, the new movie just got some major buzz.

Then they'll announce Spidey IS to be played by a pasty white kid, and all the fans will breath a sigh of relief that they didn't muck with the character, and everyone will forget about Toby what-his-name, and this new guy will be the guy who saved Spidey.

Brilliant!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                      Speaking as a black woman, I have mixed emotions about this.

The character is already established as a white guy. But, (and keep in mind I don't know the history), Green Lantern has a black guy. Did anyone make a fuss about that?

Realistically speaking, I really don't think the public at large would go for this. I wonder how Stan Lee feels about it?

the black green lantern is a different guy. there are many GLs. there is one spiderman (2 if you count his clone but he's a white guy too for obvious reasons).

i like troy on community. i don't see it as even something the producers would entertain as a possibility for spider-man. changing race on a C list character is easy - most of the public don't know who they are anyway. changes race on a B list character like catwoman, kingpin, nick fury, even Robin would be OK. You can't change the big guns much- Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Spiderman. Especially after already establishing the movie version of the character. Though I will have to say Dean Cain pushed the envelope not really looking like he was a mid western farmer. I could also see WW looking a bit more exotic - asian, islander, Mediterranean, Norwegian, etc.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        You know, the cynical person in me thinks this is marketing genius. They leak that this guy is a major contender, the media runs it everywhere, collective nerdom gets in a fit, and voila, the new movie just got some major buzz.
                        It's actually brilliant self-promotion since it's Troy from Community himself who has started this as a grassroots twitter campaign amongst his fans.

We all know it's very unlikely, but how many people on this very thread are now aware of this actor that they previously did not know? Multiply that across all the various comic book and movie forums on the web that are now talking about him.

The general consensus seems to be "Not for Spiderman, but he's really funny in Community". With that kind of buzz, I'm sure he'll be on the list of contenders for producers looking to cast a young funny black guy in movies that are Not Spiderman.

A far cry from Sean Young's campaign to get the Catwoman role by dressing up and stalking Tim Burton on the Warner lot!
                        Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 4, '10, 10:15 AM.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
                          didn't Morgan Freeman play Spidey at one point?
                          I'm pretty sure Morgan Freeman never played Spidey. He played Easy Reader along side Spidey on The Electric Company. And was featured on the cover of Spidey Super Stories saying "This comic is easy to read".

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            I'm pretty sure Morgan Freeman never played Spidey. He played Easy Reader along side Spidey on The Electric Company. And was featured on the cover of Spidey Super Stories saying "This comic is easy to read".
                            Correct. His main character on EC was Easy Reader

on the SPiDEY skits he played a variety of characters including an umpire and Dracula. it was Danny Seagren who played spidey. Seagren had no other roles on EC.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

There he is in the little green caption box to the right of the logo.

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

In one of my favourite issues of Spider-Man ever, a young child with a difficult life, has Spider-Man for an imaginary friend. He unmasks at the end and reveals himself to be a black man in the child's imagination.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎