Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready for a Black Peter Parker/Spiderman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by starsky
    did toby quit?
    It's a complete reboot...from director to actors...starting from scratch again.
    sigpic

Comment

• david_b
      Never had enough toys..
      • May 9, 2008

I ACTUALLY thought Eddie Murphy would have made a GREAT 'Green Hornet', but that would have been under a few conditions..:

1) If this was 1990, and he was still fit/trim and a big movie name.
      2) With comic actor Michael Keaton's casting as Batman ('89), it would have been a natural move given Hollywood back then (and 'Dick Tracy'), jumping on the superhero band wagon..
      3) He was actually pushing for the studios to do a 'Hornet' movie, but I don't recall whether it was stuck with scripts, or any studio buy-in.
      4) He would have looked cool in dark green, and could have avoided 'Golden Child' and his other flops..., if they would have went to sequels..

Just my two cents..

david_b
      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
        When is this maddening PC ever going to end?

There's plenty of other superheroes black actors can play...Luke Cage aka Power Man, Black Panther, Spawn, Blade...etc...or bloody hell...come up with your own...I'm sure there's tons of talented black artists and writers who can come up with all kinds of new superheroes and stuff....don't rely on what white artists/writers created years ago.

Maddening, I tell ya.
        Hector, good points as always.., but..:

I'll agree to a talented black actor playing Spiderman, if a white dude can play Luke Cage.

..tit for tat..

david_b
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Joe90
          Most Special Agent
          • Feb 23, 2008

I don't have a problem with white guys playing other ethnic characters. Peter Sellers was brilliant at it. That was his thing.

I don't think that they should take a character like Spiderman that as a huge fan base and go about changing the central aspects. There are certain characters whose ethnicity is central to who they are. Peter Parker has to be a nerdy white guy as surely as John Shaft has to be a cool black guy.

Characters like the Green Hornet could easily be reimagined, but Kato would have to be Asian.
          90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              The character is already established as a white guy. But, (and keep in mind I don't know the history), Green Lantern has a black guy. Did anyone make a fuss about that?
              The Green Lantern Corps is made up of over 3600 alien beings, including some from earth like Hal Jordan (the white guy), John Stewart (the black guy), Guy Gardner (the red-headed white guy) and Kyle Rayner (the OTHER white guy).

The movie is starting where the comic began....with Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds).
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

I'm all for it but in Exchange I want Nick Cage to Play the Black Panther.......
                Nothing wrong with a White guy Playing a brother.......John Cena does it all the time as a matter of Fact let's get Cena to play him.......

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                  When is this maddening PC ever going to end?

There's plenty of other superheroes black actors can play...Luke Cage aka Power Man, Black Panther, Spawn, Blade...etc...or bloody hell...come up with your own...I'm sure there's tons of talented black artists and writers who can come up with all kinds of new superheroes and stuff....don't rely on what white artists/writers created years ago.

Maddening, I tell ya.
                  Actually, Spawn is white.
                  And he hates it. That's why he goes around looking like "hamburger head" burnt corpse.

He means he 'was' black before he died. So Al Simmons was black and Spawn is white.
                  Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jun 3, '10, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

It's weird, I really like Donald Glover and I think he'd be a great Spider-Man, just not a good or convincing Peter Parker...
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Danny Glover should be Joe Robertson.
                      Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jun 3, '10, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

It's weird, I really like Danny Glover and I think he'd be a great Spider-Man, just not a good or convincing Peter Parker...
                        Danny Glover? Isn't he to old for this ********?

Seriously, this is just nuts. Apparently some boneheads thought Ali should play Superman back in the 70s too, so it's not a new idea. As others have said I wouldn't want a white guy playing T'Challa or Luke Cage, or Cyborg, or John Stewart, or...

For whatever reason, the Kingpin didn't bother me much. Maybe because he's not the main character, and he's not a mascot character like Spider-Man.

There has to be a nerdy white guy other than Tobey who can play Peter Parker!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          The Green Lantern Corps is made up of over 3600 alien beings, including some from earth like Hal Jordan (the white guy), John Stewart (the black guy), Guy Gardner (the red-headed white guy) and Kyle Rayner (the OTHER white guy).

The movie is starting where the comic began....with Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds).
                          See, I told you I didn't know the history. 3600 beings? DANG!
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            Actually, Spawn is white.
                            And he hates it. That's why he goes around looking like "hamburger head" burnt corpse.

He means he 'was' black before he died. So Al Simmons was black and Spawn is white.
                            The Spawn movie producers had a very unique way of getting around that problem... they cast Michael Jai WHITE!

Inversely, the producers of Spiderman need to cast Jack BLACK.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              The Spawn movie producers had a very unique way of getting around that problem... they cast Michael Jai WHITE!

Inversely, the producers of Spiderman need to cast Jack BLACK.
                              http://www.aintitcool.com/pics/da-nacho.jpg
                              Yes!
                              So Spawn was played by a White guy. And you picked a great wise-cracking Black guy for the Spiderman reboot.
                              So who's directing the reboot? Isn't it Roger Corman?
                              Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jun 3, '10, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                                Danny Glover? Isn't he to old for this ********?
                                Arg, I meant Donald. I get their names mixed up, I just usually call him "Troy from Community"
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎