Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready for a Black Peter Parker/Spiderman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riffster
    Atomic batteries to power
    • Jun 29, 2008

Ready for a Black Peter Parker/Spiderman?

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

With casting still up in the air for the title role of 2012’s “Spider-Man” reboot, Donald Glover is web-slinging his way into contention.

The “Community” actor has started a Twitter campaign with the hashtag #donald4spiderman, earning support on the micro-blogging site and on a Facebook fan page as well.

He began pushing the online movement after geek news site io9.com ran an editorial earlier this week suggested that Sony cast a non-white actor for the role of the wallflower hero. Commenters on the post named the wise-cracking Donald, who is black, as an option.

However, Donald — who plays Troy Barnes on the NBC sitcom — isn’t asking to be handed the spandex.

“I don’t want to just be given the role. I want to be able to audition,” he Tweeted. “I truly love Spider-Man.”

Tobey Maguire played the superhero and his alter-ego, Peter Parker, in three previous Sam Raimi-directed “Spider-Man” films. The reboot, slated for July 3, 2012, will be directed by “(500) Days of Summer” h

You know it's gonna happen, and I'll never see the movie...
    Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
    And Super Powers Batman
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I cannot see that happening. the character is a well known as a nerdy white kid. if they start effing with that I will not go see it.

Comment

• megowgsh
      Customego HoF Curator
      • Nov 19, 2003

As long as they let a white guy try out for the remake of Dolemite I am cool with it.
      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
        MeGoing
        • May 14, 2003

Sure, why not? There certainly isn't enough representation of other than white guys in superhero movies.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

^ That's cause they are all white guys If the character is created as someone who is black or asian or whatever, then I'm all for it. But I hate when they graft color on to someone that's already been created as being something else just for the sake of breaking out of the box...
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Riffster
            Atomic batteries to power
            • Jun 29, 2008

^ what he said
            Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
            And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• jimbutsu
              Memory *is* RAM!
              • Apr 11, 2002

I'm cool with it by virtue of my really liking donald glover.
              "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                Removed.
                • Jun 14, 2008

Oh, here we go again.
                Just leave icons alone!
                Rich

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I would actually prefer the kid on Community that plays Abed. His Batman was fantastic.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

It worked so well with Catwoman, they'd be crazy not to.

I kid!! I kid!!

Okay, seriously, I'm never that keen on changing the races and genders of characters. I also have a long standing dislike of non-native actors cast in native roles.

By the time a Wonder Woman movie finally gets made the character will be turned into an asian guy.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Speaking as a black woman, I have mixed emotions about this.

The character is already established as a white guy. But, (and keep in mind I don't know the history), Green Lantern has a black guy. Did anyone make a fuss about that?

Realistically speaking, I really don't think the public at large would go for this. I wonder how Stan Lee feels about it?

"Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Why not go all the way and make Peter Parker a fat transvestite with triple D's and tourette's syndrome...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

When is this maddening PC ever going to end?

There's plenty of other superheroes black actors can play...Luke Cage aka Power Man, Black Panther, Spawn, Blade...etc...or bloody hell...come up with your own...I'm sure there's tons of talented black artists and writers who can come up with all kinds of new superheroes and stuff....don't rely on what white artists/writers created years ago.

Maddening, I tell ya.
                          sigpic

Comment

• starsky
                            veteran member
                            • Aug 26, 2007

did toby quit?

Comment

• LadyZod
                              Superman's Gal Pal
                              • Jan 27, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                              Speaking as a black woman, I have mixed emotions about this.

The character is already established as a white guy. But, (and keep in mind I don't know the history), Green Lantern has a black guy. Did anyone make a fuss about that?

Realistically speaking, I really don't think the public at large would go for this. I wonder how Stan Lee feels about it?

There is a difference.

If the superhero "Spider-Man" was a different guy and not Peter parker, then race, gender, height, eye color etc would not matter.

But it's Peter Parker.

With Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is white. John Stewart is black. Sinestro is neon pink.

Anyone can be called Batman. Not anyone can be Bruce Wayne. Same arguement goes, anyone can put on the mask and be called Spider-man, but not everyone can be Peter Parker. (See the Japanese Spider-man live action series)

Heck, even in that awful Catwoman movie, Catwoman is not Selena Kyle as we was in Batman Returns. Berry's character's name is Patience Prudence or some crap like that.

But... that being said, I thought Kingpin as played by Michael Clarke Duncan was amazing. Talent is colorblind.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                              Check out my art:
                              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎